Mountain Project Logo

MP can display International Ratings

Original Post
Nick Wilder · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2005 · Points: 4,098

You can now view free climb ratings in YDS, French, Ewbanks, UIAA, and British. Boulders can be shown in Hueco and Font. You can change these settings on any route page (look for the "YDS" or "Hueco" link near the route title up top, or this page: mountainproject.com/scripts…

Grades do not convert perfectly, and the British system is so different that it's especially bad. The chart isn't set in stone though, so feedback is welcome. We can also add other systems if we end up getting enough routes in an area that uses something different.

While you can view routes in these other settings, you still have to use YDS and Hueco when using the Route Finder or setting your own rating for a route.

Nick Russell · · Bristol, UK · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 2,605

That's awesome, thanks for implementing this!

I just noticed this morning and came to the forums to shout about it, then found you've already done it...

Paul Ross · · Keswick, Cumbria · Joined Apr 2001 · Points: 22,236

I think one can ignore the British grading in this conversion. A much closer comparision can be found in the Ed Webster guide book to The White Mountains of New Hampshire.

Nick Russell · · Bristol, UK · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 2,605

Further inspection shows that it's not quite what I had hoped for, but it is a start. I could suggest some tweaks to the conversion in the British grade, but as you acknowledge (and USBRIT comments) it's never going to work particularly well.

Some examples .. MVS (Mild Very Severe) is about 5.7 . 5.10d is most often E3 5c. E1 5b is more often 5.9.... so the conversions could be a lot less confusing.

Nick Wilder · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2005 · Points: 4,098

I'd be happy to implement a published conversion chart for the British system that people agree is better. I primarily relied on the chart here, which itself was compiled from several reliable sources that are footnoted. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grade_(climbing)

Amadeus DeKastle · · Bishkek, KG · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 1,455

This is great to see. I'll have to check it out a bit more though to really see how well it works

Well I have to admit the British sytem is confusing to say the least,and this confusion often includes the Brits.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Mountain Project News
Post a Reply to "MP can display International Ratings"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started