Mountain Project Logo

What does your Woody look like???

Michael McGuinn · · Valhalla, NY · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 15

Threw this together in a day for about $80 (already owned the holds). 30 degrees off vertical, 4'x4' footprint, freestanding, and the tape is basically for show.
Mark Hudon · · Lives on the road · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 420

10 feet wide and 12 feet climbable up.

5.samadhi Süñyātá · · asheville · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 40

thats perfect mark.

BCarlson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 40

Chimi - here's a pic of my woody that I just completed about a month ago, pretty similar to what you're describing. I put a roof on it (I live in Seattle), so the framing for the climbing section of the wall ties into the roof. It's very strong (I over designed it, but am planning on using for 10+ years so didn't want to under design it).

In my opinion, and from what I've read researching, you should stick with each section of the wall at the same angle. The framing construction gets much more complicated (and not as strong if you're unsure of what you're doing) when you put multiple angles in. You can always make some big volumes (which I have put on since this picture) to add some more interesting movement.

I'm not sure where you live and how you plan on building the free standing structure, but I would suggest putting the posts in the ground (3'+ deep, depending on frost levels).

I went with (5) 16' 6x6 posts, with a 20' 6x10 running across the front posts and a 20' 4x4 across the back posts. Framed out the back wall and put strapping 2x4's to tie the posts together. 12' 2x6 roof joists on hurricane ties with galvanized roof. The wall framing is with 16' 2x6 16" OC. 3/4" ACX plywood. Initially there was some deflection with the posts while they were standing alone, but after you tie everything together it get's very stout.

Overall size of the wall is 15' wide x 13' high (I wanted 16' wide for plywood layout but had to shrink it due to land constraints), with a 150 SF footprint (240 SF roof to protect the walls). 15 degree wall on the left, 30 degree wall on the right.

I can take some more pictures showing the back of the wall if you'd like. Search around the web you'll find good amount of info. I actually spent quite a bit of time researching pole buildings for the structure.
Woodchuck ATC · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 3,280

BCarlson, I like that wall,,it looks alot like my wall in design. Love having a big roof to pull. Can you top out over your roof, as it's kinda dark in pic to see clearly.

BCarlson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 40

Theoretically yes :)

I haven't put ply up on the roof yet and the roof overhangs further than the gravel landing area, so it would be an awkward/dangerous fall onto the ground (I guess you could always put a few crash pads down).
I'd have to put some kind of hand friendly flashing or something for the top out pull, as I'm sure the corrugated roof would cause some stitches.

Sorry I don't have a great shot of the roof at the moment, this is the clearest I can find. I'll try to take some more shots this weekend.

MBX5 Barnas · · Arvada · Joined Feb 2007 · Points: 165

Just put this up. It's 8'x11' coming in at 40 degrees. This is just the start the plan is to add a roof and more wall on the right side. Still placing hold orders so not much up yet.
BCarlson wrote:Theoretically yes :) I haven't put ply up on the roof yet and the roof overhangs further than the gravel landing area, so it would be an awkward/dangerous fall onto the ground (I guess you could always put a few crash pads down). I'd have to put some kind of hand friendly flashing or something for the top out pull, as I'm sure the corrugated roof would cause some stitches. Sorry I don't have a great shot of the roof at the moment, this is the clearest I can find. I'll try to take some more shots this weekend.
Not sure what access you have to the roof top itself, or it's structure. I added an upright plywood sheet on top, bolted to edge of roof rafters with thick door hinges, and stood up with 2by4 legs at a 60 degree angle. Half inch bolts hold everything tight and upright. Top edge of that vertical climbing board on the roof has a 2 by 6 screwed to it, and 2 half inch eyebolts through it, holding quick draws as a top rope anchor. It is very strong, holds 200 lb. lunging climbers on toprope without fail. Replaced board on top due to weathering 3 times in 18 years now. I have all routes on toprope on my wall, with height up to 20 ft. max right now. Otherwise, we bail off and fall into a pole vault pit of foam below. My anchor-top rope system on the steep overhangs is hung on cantilevered anchor lines. All are bomber strong.

Ian Hanson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 2,685

Does anybody have any experience with making small bouldering boards that can be folded up for storing? Hoping for dimensions in the 4´x4´x8´ area.

Chimi · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 0
BCarlson wrote: Chimi - here's a pic of my woody that I just completed about a month ago, pretty similar to what you're describing. I put a roof on it (I live in Seattle), so the framing for the climbing section of the wall ties into the roof. It's very strong (I over designed it, but am planning on using for 10+ years so didn't want to under design it). In my opinion, and from what I've read researching, you should stick with each section of the wall at the same angle. The framing construction gets much more complicated (and not as strong if you're unsure of what you're doing) when you put multiple angles in. You can always make some big volumes (which I have put on since this picture) to add some more interesting movement. I'm not sure where you live and how you plan on building the free standing structure, but I would suggest putting the posts in the ground (3'+ deep, depending on frost levels). I went with (5) 16' 6x6 posts, with a 20' 6x10 running across the front posts and a 20' 4x4 across the back posts. Framed out the back wall and put strapping 2x4's to tie the posts together. 12' 2x6 roof joists on hurricane ties with galvanized roof. The wall framing is with 16' 2x6 16" OC. 3/4" ACX plywood. Initially there was some deflection with the posts while they were standing alone, but after you tie everything together it get's very stout. Overall size of the wall is 15' wide x 13' high (I wanted 16' wide for plywood layout but had to shrink it due to land constraints), with a 150 SF footprint (240 SF roof to protect the walls). 15 degree wall on the left, 30 degree wall on the right. I can take some more pictures showing the back of the wall if you'd like. Search around the web you'll find good amount of info. I actually spent quite a bit of time researching pole buildings for the structure.
Hey BCarlson!

After reading your suggestions, I think I might adopt a design similar to yours and ditch the idea of having a multi-pitch wall. Instead, maybe I'll do something like a 15 and 30 degree that into a roof. Or something like a 15 and 45. But I haven't actually put pencil to paper yet, so I'll keep thinking about something with multiple angles.

If you can take pictures of the backside, it'd be enormously helpful.

Thanks!
Ian Hanson wrote:Does anybody have any experience with making small bouldering boards that can be folded up for storing? Hoping for dimensions in the 4´x4´x8´ area.
I have no idea what a 'small bouldering board' is. Something you can hang up for use in a room of 4 X4X 8 area? Or is the board near those dimensions? I did have a single 4 by 8 sheet of plywood I hung from ceiling, and braced the bottome against the wall, for bouldering on. Just made hang moves, and reaches, since my body could almost reach the whole length of the board.
Ian Hanson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 2,685

I was thinking of somehting along the lines of: brewersledge.com/products/b…
but as I live in Norway it wouldn´t be worth it to buy one. It is small so I wouldn´t really call it a woody. I don't have a ton of space so I was hoping to find some plans for a woody that could be put away when not using it. Until I move into a bigger place where I can build an actual wall

JonSpringer · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 15

just put up my first wall, now to place these holds
jonathan.lipkin · · Brooklyn, NY · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 70

You're gonna need more holds, trust me it gets addictive…

Agree, you want to cover it thick with holds since the wall is limited in space. Always check ebay for cheap, used ones or bucket deals of 'blems that companies often put up there for sale. At least 50 more I'd guess.

AST · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 0

These pics are 17+ years old. I built this gym in the modified A-frame house I live in at Lake Tahoe. Came in real handy in the dead of winter. Back then was when everyone and their brother was trying to start a company making holds. I worked in an outdoor shop and was able to get all my holds for either wholesale, pro deal, or free samples by telling the companies we wanted to carry their holds in the store.

Never actually put on display any holds in said store. What can I say? I was a broke-ass dirtbag who didn't want to spend any money.

45 degree wall and 15 degree wall connected by 8 feet of roof. Also had a campus board in the back yard with custom made rungs.
AST wrote:These pics are 17+ years old. I built this gym in the modified A-frame house I live in at Lake Tahoe. Came in real handy in the dead of winter. Back then was when everyone and their brother was trying to start a company making holds. I worked in an outdoor shop and was able to get all my holds for either wholesale, pro deal, or free samples by telling the companies we wanted to carry their holds in the store. Never actually put on display any holds in said store. What can I say? I was a broke-ass dirtbag who didn't want to spend any money. 45 degree wall and 15 degree wall connected by 8 feet of roof. Also had a campus board in the back yard with custom made rungs.
Same thing here! I was promoting my new indoor wall in 89-90, before there was any internet contacts,, when there were just a handful of hold companies. I got a ton of free samples from most, and reduced prices from the rest. Kept at it until the hold makers thing just blew wide open so anybody was making them by 10 years ago. I still have some holds from now nonexisting companies of early 90's like Carp' holds..they have held up in all weather on outdoor wall since 19 years ago, with some weathering but still holding strong.
JonSpringer · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 15

i'll have to work on getting more. i have 58 holds to start

expect to use about 30 per 4 by 8 sheet of plywood,,depending on how many huge ones or volumes you have. Are you building any home made wood volumes to place on wall too?

Drew Nevius · · Broken Arrow, OK · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 2,546
Woodchuck ATC wrote:expect to use about 30 per 4 by 8 sheet of plywood,,depending on how many huge ones or volumes you have. Are you building any home made wood volumes to place on wall too?
I have a different thought on this one - I counted the holds on my wall (8ft wide 8ft tall 40deg) and realized I had about 85 holds or just over 40 on each 4x8 sheet and wish I had at least 20 more for each sheet. You probably want less hold on your wall Woodchuck since it's a larger toproping wall

This topic is locked and closed to new replies.

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started