Mountain Project Logo

LCC accident

Original Post
Sir Camsalot · · thankgodchickenhead, Ut · Joined Sep 2007 · Points: 201

Saw the EMS crews blast by on the way up the canyon then heard a blurb about it on the news. Apparently a climber "ran out of rope while on belay." Any info?

SackAttack Iceiceice · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2008 · Points: 5

A friend most of the community knows was in an accident yesterday in little cottonwood. My understanding is that he was being lowered from a climb and the end of the rope ended up going through the belay device. He was rescued last night, and from what I've been told, he was conscious. He is in the hospital and I believe to be stable. At this point in time the above is what i have heard and can only be considered speculation.

Please send good vibes!

I think it happened at the Egg.

rging · · Salt Lake City, Ut · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 210
Buff Johnson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2005 · Points: 1,145

an evac on a backboard. that had to suck

Craig Childre · · Lubbock, TX · Joined Aug 2006 · Points: 4,860

Hate to hear about these accidents. Not intended to criticize anyone here. I want to point out that everyone should keep their rope knotted or tied to the rope tarp while on belay, as well as when you are rapping. We can never be too diligent about safety. Hope the recovery is fast up there in SLC.

Sir Camsalot · · thankgodchickenhead, Ut · Joined Sep 2007 · Points: 201

Just learned from a friend it was Shingo. Best wishes for a speedy recovery. I'll get in the long line of those who are willing to help with anything you need.

Woodson · · Park City, Ut. · Joined May 2009 · Points: 180

Ugh shitty news, best wishes for a speedy recovery Shingo!

Brian in SLC · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Oct 2003 · Points: 21,711

Sonny Chiba....

Let us know if you need ANYTHING!

matt tuttle · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2008 · Points: 40

Best to you and your partner Shingo.

ChefMattThaner · · Lakewood, co · Joined May 2013 · Points: 246

Best wishes go out to all involved. And a speedy recovery at that!

Spencer Weiler · · Grand Junction · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 2,638

Shingo is the man. Hope all turns out Ok. Always depressing to hear of climbing accidents that seem to be easily avoided with some attention. Thoughts go out to belayer and Shingo.

I was unfortunate enough to witness a man die at the creek after decking and not wearing a helmet. Not sure if Shingo was wearing one but it seems I need to swallow my pride and wear one at all times.

andrewburr · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2008 · Points: 30

UPDATE:

He's busted up, but coherent and talking. Couple of fractures to his spine (no paralysis), broken collar bone, and a slight skull fracture. Still not out of the woods completely as there is some swelling and minor bleeding on the brain, but like i said, things are looking good. He will remain in the hospital for a few more days as they watch his head. He is talking well and in good spirits and has already busted out some jokes.

As for the accident, i wouln't get into details, but there was a miscommunication while lowering him and the end of rope went through the belayers device, sending him cartwheeling down the egg slab. he's lucky to be alive. send him good vibes. and yes, he was wearing a helmet - saved his life.

Boissal . · · Small Lake, UT · Joined Aug 2006 · Points: 1,541

Damn, that's grim, although it's great to hear things are looking promising.
Knowing him he'll be hauling a heavy pack full of beer into Hogum by mid-winter. He's a strong lad, and comely :)

Shiho · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 100

Thanks for the update, Andrew. I agree with Boissal. Great to hear that Shingo is conscious and such. Sending you good vibes, Shingo!

zoso · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2007 · Points: 790

Agreed. Glad it wasn't any worse. Happy healing.

Tico · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 0

Get the word out if he and cobes need help with bills.

Rob Cotter · · Silverthorne, CO · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 240

Just to recap. Tie an overhand knot in yer rope end. Am losing track of how many of these mishaps I hear of. Fekkin stoopid...

Taylor J · · Taos NM · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 390
RobC2 wrote:Just to recap. Tie an overhand knot in yer rope end. Am losing track of how many of these mishaps I hear of. Fekkin stoopid...
Already been pointed out, lets just wish him a speedy recovery and leave the criticism behind, I would say he learned his lesson.
Alton Richardson · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2010 · Points: 170

My best wishes and good vibes go out to Shingo and the crew involved. Terrible news.

andrewburr · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2008 · Points: 30

About the accident:

I went up and retrieved the gear from the climb today. All gear and anchors looked good and normal. Did find a dilapidated trekking pole at the base (dropped it off at IME if your looking for it).

He was leading Lowe Blowe 5.9+ (a fairly long and wandering affair) on the Egg in one pitch with an 80m rope. He was to lower back down and the belayer would start climbing up counterweight style as he finished lowering the reaming bit to the ground. This technique works fine as long as the belayer is tied into the rope, which they were not, unfortunately. The end of the rope went through the device and Shingo tumbled the remaining 30-40' to the base and was luckily body checked back into the belay ledge (by some very quick actions of people at the base) before cartwheeling the remaining 100' to the scrub oak below. He was wearing a helmet and lucky to be alive.

I was not there, but this is what i have pieced together from first hand accounts. Unfortunately there is nothing new to learn from this accident. There is no blame to give. It's something that we all have learned on numerous near death experiences - time and time again - check your knot, your partners knot, and put a knot in the end of your rope.

Tom-onator · · trollfreesociety · Joined Feb 2010 · Points: 790
Zac Robinson wrote: Also of note... Some of the spine fractures may have been due to his fall a few weeks ago on a slabby testpiece. Between that incident and this one, he did successfully lead Paranoia Streak. Probably with small spinal fractures.
Afreekinmazing
Speedy recovery to you Shingo
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Injuries and Accidents
Post a Reply to "LCC accident"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.