Mountain Project Logo

Big Wall food

Original Post
Justin Lofthouse · · Utah · Joined Feb 2007 · Points: 130

What do you eat on a big wall? I like granola in the morning with plastic fruit containers. Cliff bars are nice during the day because you never have time to eat. Ravioli is great at night, with pudding cups. The plastic cups have to be put into Tupperware, so they don't get crushed.

Meme Guy · · Land of Runout Slab · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 325

Some smoked meats preserved and sealed in plastic is always a nice treat.

Sausages

20 kN · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1,346

I like MREs (Mountain House Meals). They taste pretty good when you are hungry and you dont need that much water to make them.

Avalon'cha · · your girlfriend's bedroom · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 35

Drippy greasy cheese that hasn't see a refrigerator in a few days taste SO good. And I'm pretty sure McDonalds' cheese burgers have a non refrigerated half life similar to that of plutonium. Ramen tastes just as good uncooked as cooked, same with instant flavored oatmeal (I call my "little bag of granola blow") and hot coco packs for my chocolate fix. Smoked meats are good too; properly done that stuff will keep forever. I LOVE cooking, just not on walls as you may see.

Mickey Sensenbach · · San luis obispo CA · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 140

for dinner I like spegitios because they taste SO good cold. for treats I like oreos and peenut butter and skittles. breakfest I like canned fruit or begals and peenut butter. bars are good too. for lunch I like beef jerkey and dried appercots!!! of course I always bring M&Ms for the top!

Jeff Kent · · Sedona, Az · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 0

Sardines, saltines, Jack Daniels.

Gargano · · Arizona · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 1,535

Nutella.

Stacked with calories. Tastes great morning or night.

Tyson Anderson · · SLC, UT · Joined May 2007 · Points: 126
amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1937715000

These recipes are geared towards cyclists but some of them also work well for climbing. The rice cakes are fantastic.
Mark Vogel · · Lander, WY · Joined Sep 2008 · Points: 35

Half an onion goes a long way on a wall. A small slice on day three tastes great. Try it!

Woodchuck ATC · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 3,280
20 kN wrote:I like MREs (Mountain House Meals). They taste pretty good when you are hungry and you dont need that much water to make them.
MRE ? from Mountain House, home of the freeze dried meal? Never knew they had them. I was also going to suggest roughing it with military style MRE's. If not cold out, no need for taking a stove even to heat water. Just eat/squeeze the MRE right out of the foil packet and enjoy. I live off them for days, up to a week sometimes when in the backcountry. Dump the cardboard box, skip the heating device, just take the packet and eat cold or let the hot rocks warm it up. Lots of calories, taste has improved over the years.
Greg Gavin · · SLC, UT · Joined Oct 2008 · Points: 888

Bagels with meat and cheese. stuff your pockets with candy that won't melt and/or bars you can eat with cottonmouth. never go on lead without water on you.

Deke Doty · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 10

I've drifted away from dehydrated stuff, it will leach moisture from body. I aid in the winter so I take a stove for hot canned soup at night. Canned fruit. Gotta have Gu some with some without caffeine. I've seen guys do a whole wall with Gu. Shot blocks taste better but equally engineered. M+ms. 4 liters of water per day per climber if it's not hot. Bring an empty small duffel for trash.smash cans with wall hammer before desent. "Big walls! "

Joshua Reinig · · Lone Pine Ca. · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 18,210

"GORP"!!!!

thomas.w · · Denver, CO · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 5

Sausages (glad to see it here). Nutella (" "). those muscle milk things.

Jaysen Henderson · · Brooklyn NY · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 321

Mickey just pointing out that you have adopted my entire bigwall diet with the exception of the mnm's. Rage on

Steve Williams · · The state of confusion · Joined Jul 2005 · Points: 235

Beer.
Coffee.

Cheese
Dates
Raisons
Sausages
Dinty Moore Beef Stew

Nick Zmyewski · · Newark, DE · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 250

There are only three food groups: Ibuprofen, Peanut Butter, and Beer

Locker · · Yucca Valley, CA · Joined Oct 2002 · Points: 2,349
"I like granola in the morning with plastic fruit containers"

That's got to be hard to swallow.
Kip Kasper · · Bozeman, MT · Joined Feb 2010 · Points: 200

Tasty Bites (come in both indian and asian flavors) with those big packets of tuna make a dinner with enough variety to last a week or more. Instant oatmeal for breakfast along with a cup of the instant starbucks coffee. Canned fruit and other laxatives for lunch.

Moof · · Portland, OR · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 25

A supply of fresh fruit (apples and oranges travel well) are a great way to perk up the meal plan.

My problem has become that during the day I don't eat enough and end up trashed. In the evening I am so wasted that it is hard to get enough calories down without hurling. Clif bars have almost all gotten unpalatable to me, I chew but just can barely choke them down.

MRE's for the main meals, if heated, work well for me these days. I hate dealing with canned food.

Damienn Nicodemi · · nevada city, ca · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 76

while i like cooking on the wall i view it as a luxury and usually dont bring a stove. i always bring super greasy buttery grilled cheese sandwiches, like 8 of them all stuffed in a bread bag. if the the bag weighs less than 5 pounds go back and add more butter. tasty bites are great for dinner and i usually bring a piece of fruit for each day. oatmeal can be soaked cold overnight. a couple caffienated gu shots for emergencies and late night sessions can be a huge mood booster and improve safety/ alertness. otherwise i eat like im poor. i look for junk food that has the most calories/ $ and load up on that for snacks. oh yea and pizza!!!! yummmmm. a beer or two is nice but liquor is too much for me up there i need nourishment.....like snickers :)

gotta have nuts.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Big Wall and Aid Climbing
Post a Reply to "Big Wall food"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.