Mountain Project Logo

Camping at the New

Original Post
Ryan C. · · Woodbury, MN · Joined Jun 2010 · Points: 10

I will be traveling to the New between October 9-17. I have not been there in over two years and have heard that Roger's is closed. I also think that the AAC campground does not have a shower house. On of the people in our group would really like a bath house of some sort. Is there other camping options that you would recommend? Or should I just tell her to deal with being covered in dirt like the rest of us?

Also is there anything else I should be aware of during this time frame?

Thank you

camhead · · Vandalia, Appalachia · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 1,240

You can actually go take showers for a few bucks at nearby Mountain State CG while staying at that AAC. Or just stay at Mountain State.

cfuttner · · Chicago, IL · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 5

Did Chestnut close after Brian passed away? Showers there. Also showers at Ray's, closer to Summersville.

Stein Pull · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 0

Chestnut Creek is still open. His daughter and a guy (son in law?) took it over and they're doing a great job! Super friendly, very welcoming, same price, showers, and they're adding wifi.

I would recommend avoiding the AAC campground. A neighbor's hound howls for an hour and a half every morning at 6:00 am and there have been difficulties with the camp host. In addition it is only marginally cheaper, has no showers or running water, and the sites are dirtier.

JJNS · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2008 · Points: 531

You should stay for Bridge Day!

Stein Pull wrote:I would recommend avoiding the AAC campground. A neighbor's hound howls for an hour and a half every morning at 6:00 am and there have been difficulties with the camp host.
What sort of difficulties?
Chris Whisenhunt · · Fayetteville, WV · Joined Jun 2010 · Points: 995

I'm curious as to hear about the issues with the host at the AAC. Seeing how l live here at the NRG I will take those issues up with him directly.

Also if the ball was in my court then I would stay at the AAC. You can't get any better beta for the area/routes/etc than from the people that live there permanently.

Chris Whisenhunt · · Fayetteville, WV · Joined Jun 2010 · Points: 995
Jake Jones wrote:Here's the breakdown of camping in the area: (all distances and times are from the campground to Junkyard Wall for reference as it's a pretty central location close to Highway 19) I did not include prices because they are subject to change, and because they are listed on the links provided for each site- except Cantrell. Could not find a price on their site, so inquire by phone or email. WITH SHOWERS: (There are probably more, but these are the prominent locations) Rifrafters Campground 286 Rifrafters Campground Drive Fayetteville, WV 25840 South side of bridge 5.2 miles from JY- approx. 11 minutes. Convenient to south side crags Kaymoor, Sunshine, Cottontop, etc. Cantrell's 49 Cantrell Drive Fayetteville, WV 25840 South side of bridge 5.1 miles/11 minutes Convenient to south side crags Chestnut Creek Campground Lansing Edmond Rd (Across from Ames Heights Rd directly across Hwy 19, it's on the left just before the small roadside store) DO NOT pay attention to the Google Maps location, it is incorrect, but it's close. North side of bridge 1 mile/3 minutes Very convenient access to all Fern/Endless/Beauty Mtn and JY and Bridge areas Ray's Campground 1199 Sunday Rd Hico, WV 25854 North side of bridge 7 miles/11 min. to JY Also convenient to Meadow River Crag- campground located at halfway point between NRG proper, and Meadow River area. Mountain State/Mill Creek campsites Ames Heights Road ~ PO Box 78 Lansing, West Virginia 25862-0078 North side of bridge .25 miles/1 min. to JY WITHOUT SHOWERS: AAC Campground County Rt. 60/96 directly across from JY access- you can't miss it. North side of bridge Walking distance to JY and Bridge crags. Also: Primitive FREE sites INSIDE PARK BOUNDARIES Maybe, if it's agreed upon as accurate, we could get an admin for the area to include this on the main NRG page. FWIW, I found the AAC host to be approachable and accomodating when I was there.
You could always start a forum post about having the info changed and then I could start a whirlwind for cursing in a public forum. :P

Good collaboration of data man.
Jake Jones wrote:Haha. Indeed Chris. Believe me, I've considered it. Idk whatever came of the last thread where the central theme became "revamping" the NRG page- or what transpired via PMs. All I know is that it still needs to be updated. I wish someone would. I've lobbied for it, but to no avail. So you're suggesting that I be the squeaky wheel eh? The cursing will undoubtedly be the best part- unless the NRG section gets reorganized, then it'll be a tie. HS diploma, motherfuckers. lol
They emailed me about admining last month or so, I said I would, and then never heard anything else. Probably for the best, since obviously I'm causing problems at the NRG now :)

Jake, dude, identify yourself next time you're down, we need to drink some beers, muthuhfuckah!
5.samadhi Süñyātá · · asheville · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 40

Why was the shittalking left unresolved here?

Rhett Burroughs 1 · · Valdosta, Georgia · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 0

This has helped a lot. I'm going to be climbing a few days prior and then jumping at bridge day. Thanks for all the campsite info. I maybe looking for a partner also.

Yeah you should stay for bridge day and watch the show.

Thanks!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern States
Post a Reply to "Camping at the New"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started