Mountain Project Logo

Has anyone climbed in Phantom Canyon?

Original Post
Daniel H Bryant · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 320

Has anyone done any climbing in Phantom Canyon, which is between Penrose and Victor along hwy 67? It's been a while since I've driven thru there, but I remember 100'+ walls and ample camping. Perhaps it is know by another name? It seems like it would be a mirror image to Shelf Road.

ACR · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2011 · Points: 590

There are a few access concerns in the area but the biggest problem seems to be the rock quality. I hiked all over that place with Harvey Carter in the early 90's and he pointed out probably a 100 "routes" he climbed on some truly horrible rock. He showed me some big faces tucked up in that canyon but the quality just is not to be found. Even he admitted it was silly for him to be on some of it but Harvey's appetite for new climbs drive him to consider some pretty rotten stuff.
That being said, I'm sure there are random spots of solid rock. Watch out for land owners and snakes!

Glenn Schuler · · Monument, Co. · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 1,330

I've never been, but there is supposedly a Bob & Carrie area called the Green Wall somewhere right near the road. Heard it was a handfull of sport routes that were pretty decent. Sorry, that's all I got.....

b hof · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 456

Yeah I've climbed on the Green Wall once, it was some of loosest rock I have ever climbed on. We did 4 routes and we pulled off holds on every one of them, my wife even pulled off a 20lb rock, so if you're that hard up for new rock be sure to take a helmet.

slim · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2004 · Points: 1,103

I have climbed maybe 20 routes (sport and trad) or so and they were pretty bad. There is one roadcut with a decent short half star finger splitter, but it is right in the road. However, i think i saw a promising limestone band high above the east side of that curving bridge. Never went back to investigate though.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Has anyone climbed in Phantom Canyon? "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started