Mountain Project Logo

The 2013-2014 Colorado Ice Conditions Thread

Original Post
The Blueprint Part Dank · · FEMA Region VIII · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 460

Who's psyched? I'm psyched, should be another month or so till TA on Pikes Peak comes in I'm hoping...

Let's get this thread started by talking about our goals for the coming ice season.

I'm most psyched to get on Marble Falls this year and hopefully make it up to Bozeman to climb in Hyalite Canyon.

How about ya'll?

Eldo Love · · Mancos,CO · Joined Sep 2012 · Points: 125

This will be my first winter in southwest Colorado. My goal is to sniff out all the untouched ice! Noted a lot of drainages this spring/summer down roads no one even cares to know about. ca-ching! Oh and I'M psyched. The pelt is coming in early this year.

Loweball · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2005 · Points: 180

Please, Talisman, please, please please . . . .

It's been a fairly wet summer, in years past, has that boded well for winter ice?

Abram Herman · · Grand Junction, CO · Joined May 2009 · Points: 20

I'm wanting to get to Vail this year, but I'm mostly just posting so I can get email notifications from the thread ;-)

Cale Hoopes · · Sammamish, WA · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 10

Thank freakin God this thread is already started. I'm so psyched I'm gonna do some ice cragging on a glacier up here in WA just to remember swinging tools.

See you at the fest and after....

ShaneL · · Colorado Springs, Co · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 10

So excited for this season! Can't wait to get on TA, also I am looking for some more dedicated partners for this season. I have found several lines in Chaffee county that I hope to get this year.

Jim Clarke · · Summit Park, UT · Joined Jun 2009 · Points: 1,596

Psyched. Nailed a number of great routes in Cody and Hyalite past two seasons but am gunning for some more CO lines this season. With all this rain and early snow, ya gotta wonder what it might look like up high end of the week. Always up for new partners and death marches in search of new lines!

Martin le Roux · · Superior, CO · Joined Jul 2003 · Points: 401

Looks like there are a couple of competing 2013-14 Colorado ice conditions threads.

For those that have actual conditions to report, please post here: mountainproject.com/v/2013-…

For those that would like to announce to everyone that they're psyched, please continue to use this thread.

topher donahue · · Nederland, CO · Joined Sep 2007 · Points: 210

THE SMEAR OF FEAR IS IN! Yesterday it was 2-4 inches thick for 400 feet, but getting fatter quickly. Too bad the feds closed it down.
See photos from September 30th ascent here.

Smear of Fear and Crazy Train good to go.

Jim Clarke · · Summit Park, UT · Joined Jun 2009 · Points: 1,596

Checked out Blue Lakes today. North Star is shaping up. Saw a party checking it out but don't think they got on it. Middle (2nd) pitch looks pretty fat but approach pitches still thin. There was some decent ice bouldering down below lower Blue Lake. Wondering if anyone has info. on that area...some lines there could form up well this year...if we get a good pattern and cold nights continue.

North Star, 10/6/13.

Ice bouldering below lower Blue....

Top....

The area below lower Blue Lake...bad pic, but lines are forming....

DaveC · · Louisville, CO · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 65

M. Lincoln ice, Sunday, 10/6/13.

Lincoln Ice from Northstar Ridge.
Upper right

Lincoln ice from Northstar Ridge, middle.
Lower middle

Lincoln ice left.
Left (E) most

So: Are this in for the season, of destined to fall before coming in all the way? [In for the season?]

How many kicks, sticks, climbers would it take to bring one of the free hanging curtains down?

Martin le Roux · · Superior, CO · Joined Jul 2003 · Points: 401

Question for admins: Is there some way to freeze this thread and redirect everyone to the other 2013-14 Colorado ice conditions thread?
See mountainproject.com/v/2013-….

Or just combine the two?

Dave Bn · · Boise, ID · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 10

I think ColoRADo needs it's own special rad thread to keep the radness radical.

How else can we keep fueling the Anti-RADo complaints from the Utahonians and Wyomians

Ignacio · · Denver, CO · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 15

Oh man, I'm chomping at the bit looking at these pictures. I'm sharpening tools tonight!

Anybody looking for an ice partner? I just moved to Denver and have prior experience up to WI3, climbed in Durango, Lee Vining and the Cascades but no ice leads yet. Looking to 2nd many pitches to start getting some easy leads in, so I'm looking for a more experienced partner I can follow at first.

(somewhat related to this thread, also looking for a trad/alpine partner)

Buff Johnson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2005 · Points: 1,145

time to tr me some sweet lincoln!

H BL · · Colorado · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 95

I'm just hoping to get on SWTH this winter and not have to back off due to avi danger, (It's eluded me for years) but hell I'll be happy to just get out anywhere!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "The 2013-2014 Colorado Ice Conditions Thread"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.