Mountain Project Logo

Tuolumne Meadows Conditions Thread

Original Post
W L · · NEVADASTAN · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 851

Early season but summer-like temps are arriving later this week, which brings me to the following:

What are current conditions like in the Meadows? Are the only things good to climb right now the usual early season suspects or with the low snow year are we reasonably open for business?

Please advise.

Also would be nice to keep this thread going with updates of conditions...

Johnny Y · · California · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 1,383

Was there over the memorial day weekend. The right side of Dozier (past the island of pine trees, Errett Out) is pretty much dry, left of that has running water. There is also a big moat of snow at the base, which makes for a slippery start. South Flank of DAFF is also dry. Lembert, Pywaik (right side) also looks dry. Saw multiple cars at the Fairview pullout. You can still ski on North Peak!

Here are some photo I took over the weekend

Fairview and Cathedral

Pywiak, Aqua knobby on the other side is definitely wet (as advertised)

Dozier Dome

Tenaya

North Peak

SirTobyThe3rd M · · Salt Lake City · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 2,100
Weston L wrote:Early season but summer-like temps are arriving later this week, which brings me to the following: What are current conditions like in the Meadows? Are the only things good to climb right now the usual early season suspects or with the low snow year are we reasonably open for business? Please advise. Also would be nice to keep this thread going with updates of conditions...
What do you want to climb in TM? If it is usual cragging that you want to do than everything south facing can be climbed. Will be very enjoyable in the sun (even hot later in the day).
Cool in the shade, but cold in the morning.

If you want to do something like Harding route on Conness, you might have to wait a bit for that approach to melt off and route itself to dry up a bit more.

[img] lh3.googleusercontent.com/-…[/img]
TM 05/19/2013
Xtine · · Mammoth Lakes, CA · Joined May 2008 · Points: 1,921

Was just climbing yesterday out in the meadows, 60+ F, sunny, no jacket, a light breeze ...it's amazing out here right now; although Cathedral still has a big patch of snow on it....the descent on Third Pillar is snowy but some say it's still fine....what were you looking to climb in particular? I'll be passing there tomorrow too and can check it out on the way to the valley. Thanks for holding onto my cam for me too btw!! I'll be back this weekend and can get it then...if you're not in town, maybe you can drop it off at the store for me.

DylanJK · · San Diego, CA · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 386
Xtine wrote:Was just climbing yesterday out in the meadows, 60+ F, sunny, no jacket, a light breeze ...it's amazing out here right now; although Cathedral still has a big patch of snow on it....the descent on Third Pillar is snowy but some say it's still fine....what were you looking to climb in particular? I'll be passing there tomorrow too and can check it out on the way to the valley. Thanks for holding onto my cam for me too btw!! I'll be back this weekend and can get it then...if you're not in town, maybe you can drop it off at the store for me.
There is no snow on Cathedral except for patches on the descent. I climbed it twice in the past 3 days. Regular route on Fair view is wet to up to the bottom half of the nice 5.7corner. Everything above that is dry. Low profile dome is completely dry. Camping and store are not yet open (perhaps.this Sunday?)
Enjoy
Xtine wrote:Was just climbing yesterday out in the meadows, 60+ F, sunny, no jacket, a light breeze ...it's amazing out here right now; although Cathedral still has a big patch of snow on it....the descent on Third Pillar is snowy but some say it's still fine....what were you looking to climb in particular? I'll be passing there tomorrow too and can check it out on the way to the valley. Thanks for holding onto my cam for me too btw!! I'll be back this weekend and can get it then...if you're not in town, maybe you can drop it off at the store for me.
Yo! Looks like we will end up going to Lone Pine instead for some routes in that area. Was more curious about OZ, Direct NW Face of Lembert, and some of the other non-typical early season stuff due to the low snow year.

Xtine, I'm in Vegas this weekend (gonna hop on Epinephrine on Sun) and through Fri night - let me know when and where you want to meet up for me to get that cam back to you and I would be glad to return it to you.
johorn · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 35

Tuolumne Meadows Campground opens this Friday. Lots of spots available for reservation at recreation.gov.

Edward_ · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 245

anyone know the conditions for Matthes Crest?

Scott O · · Anchorage · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 70

I just drove through today (I moved to Fresno and chose to drive through the park on my way). Tenaya Peak still has snow at the snow field, but it appears to be fading and shouldn't be there much longer.

rex parker · · las vegas n.v · Joined Aug 2006 · Points: 245

Everything in the high country is a go. Repeat 90 percent of snow is all gone . Its full on for everything!

Jay Bird · · Marin, CA · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 1,136

gnar gnar time

how's the skeeters?

fossana · · leeds, ut · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 13,318
Edward_ wrote:anyone know the conditions for Matthes Crest?
Matthes is dry. Some snow on the descent, but no postholing on Sun (16 June).

Matthes conditions, 16 June 2013

Matthes conditions 2 (with Ryan from Boulder), 16 June 2013

Matthes descent conditions, 16 June 2013

Matthes descent conditions 2, 16 June 2013

Some Random Guy wrote:gnar gnar time how's the skeeters?
A few mosquitos around swampy areas, but not bad.
kidda · · Boone, NC · Joined May 2012 · Points: 25

Rex, when you say that the entire high country is melted out, does that include high sierra?

Specifically, I'm curious about descending East Face of Whitney via Mountaineers, as well as the approach and descent of North Arete of Bear Creek Spire. We do not have ice axe or crampons.

I really appreciate any info! For my part, I'm camped in Tuolumne right now but just got in and have not climbed yet this trip. I will be happy to update and answer any specific inquiries.

vincent L. · · Redwood City · Joined Jan 2005 · Points: 560
Not my photo , photo credit bran_daid

MR route snow free...

Search !! took me 9 seconds to find this . Whitneyportalstore has way more Whitney specific info ...

whitneyportalstore.com/foru…
vincent L. · · Redwood City · Joined Jan 2005 · Points: 560

6/30/13

Quite buggy, not much snow, and incredible sunsets.

Among other things that don't suck...

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern California
Post a Reply to "Tuolumne Meadows Conditions Thread"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.