Mountain Project Logo

Told you can't climb because of a photo shoot? How do you respond?

mcarizona · · Flag · Joined Feb 2007 · Points: 180

I'll use a more accurate type writer next time.

ShireSmitty · · WP · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 70

Once upon a time, on my 1 day off from my 6 day workweek, a friend and I went to the Solar Cave outside of Santa Fe to send a project we'd been working on. A film crew working on the remake of 3:10 to Yuma with Russell Crowe was there. No posting about filming or crag closures was up, but one of the heads of the crew gave us bigtime attitude and asked us to leave. We tried to take the high road and be tactful but it didn't work, and was met in return by ignorance, arrogance, and entitlement. Being Irish and raised in New England, I am not at all above giving somebody who is acting like a jackass a dose of their own medicine. I offered to leave, in return for a check for 3 days' wages. I'm a Custom Finish Carpenter and I'm used to a living wage. Everyone's time is worth something, no? It was a big budget Hollywood project after all. They did not oblige with a check, hence we did not oblige with leaving. We both sent, and mister Hollywood pants ran around the canyon pouting all day.

bergbryce · · California · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 145

holy $hit this seems lame.
do people really buy climbing videos? i found masters of stone I and II at a flea market for a dollar and it was cool to watch, once.

so i guess people do buy them.

Rob Gordon · · Hollywood, CA · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 115

Working here and there in the film industry, I understand the "this is war" mentality that comes along with shooting something. The costs of prolonging something even a couple hours can be staggering. That being said, if I am shooting something and don't have a permit or the location locked down, I'm all "yes sir, thank you sir, is there anyway you could do us a solid sir, etc..." Filming is a real bitch of an endeavor, which is why I don't mix it with climbing unless it's setting my iPhone on a rock and being willing to climb something again when someone's dog parks itself right in front of the lens.

William Sonoma · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 3,550

This doesn't surprise me. People care more for money than they do for blood, life, experience, love, balanced relationships. Another example of money winning over experience (people getting their attempt at the experience being turned away). You didn't know money can be taken to the grave? You didn't know every rich person is authentically vibrating with happiness? Money is more important to many than their gods, their blood and their friends and family.

If money can buy you rock (1hour of forever its irrelevant) that NO ONE actually owns then what can't money do? Join the masses and become a douche who knows nothing of life but everything of money, possession and power. Come join us! Fuck their money, fuck their supporters (the issuing authorities, etc) and fuck their unconciousnss, those big timers are all dead inside. They are walking fucking robots. Go climb anything you want! (With the greatest respect for the total environment) NO ONE OWNS ANY LAND and no one has a right to refuse you. These governemtns sense of ownership is a delusion. One day people will wake up to this.

The US govt says I own 23 acres in Perry County PA...this is incorrect. I manage, live amongst and care for 23 acres in Perry County. Big fucking difference: ownership versus friendship

jhn payne · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 46

Well sometimes running into a shoot isn't all that bad, I once started to one of my favorite state parks for a little solo/bouldering and upon passing a stream bed I noticed a large silver umbrella in the creek with several people gathered around, I parked and from a distance realized it was some kind of photo shoot, and went on about my business, then later in the day I moved to another area of the park and as I was leaving came face to face with a Playboy photographer who I remembered seeing in the magazine, his entourage included the hottie which was the subject and assorted assistants, I paused stayed a distance away and partake of a real photo shoot.

William Sonoma · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 3,550

Nice JHN PAYNE! Ill share a similar story:

I just moved back to Oahu and was fishing just North of Haleiwa at the Rainbow Bridge. I ducked under the bridge to go up stream (I justturned 19) and BAM! An incredibly hot naked chick is being photographed. Needless to say I watched for a moment (a little creepy). It made my afternoon for sure. Good things can come from running into an photo shoot. Good point! Positive in negative, negative in positive. Opposites or complimentarys?

sherb · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 60

so i guess i was on the right track with the compensation thing after all. I don't think the free soloer in this situation was naked, and I am thinking willeslinger would not want to see the free soloer naked.

Though it goes without saying, I'd like to clarify it's not like the turned-away climber is trying to hustle. Any "paying-off" money is miniscule compared to what the producers are making, and otherwise spending. It is more like a gesture to the climber so they do not feel taken advantage of, or like a token of thanks (maybe even an apology or fee) from the film company to show their appreciation.

As the person above said, experience matters more than money. If I preferred the money, I would have just stayed at work and not spent money on travel. I might have even trained for the trip, purchased tickets in advance, assigned my work, asked for vacation, and worse, being excited and hopeful for months.

I guess it depends on the level of effort to get there. If I were a local, maybe I'd just piss off, although a bit annoyed. By not posting before the person actually reaches the climb area is even worse, if posted at least they can not waste the day with the approach, reverse approach, and a new approach.

I don't care if the chicks are naked w/ radios, that there is a famous climber, a famous actor posing as a climber, a helicopter, a film crew or even a bouncer. If the bouncer grabs me while I am on my way to climb I will be pressing charges for assault and battery.

M Mobley · · Bar Harbor, ME · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 911
bergbryce wrote:holy $hit this seems lame. do people really buy climbing videos? i found masters of stone I and II at a flea market for a dollar and it was cool to watch, once. so i guess people do buy them.
its even more funny/lame that most people that want to somehow make a living off of climbing(guiding,making films etc) end up exploiting areas for $$$$ and stepping on people toes. I'm sure this statement will piss someone off but I can live with it.

on another note- whats up with killis/killing in the name and his obsession with naked people anyways?
Ben Brotelho · · Albany, NY · Joined May 2011 · Points: 520

I would be pissed! Ask for their permits, like someone said, then call the cops if they keep pushing you away without showing a permit.

Of course, if you didn't do your research ahead of time as to what permit they need and from whom, any sort of official looking permit thingy would probably fool you or me.

Ben Brotelho · · Albany, NY · Joined May 2011 · Points: 520
spella wrote:Having worked on several of these types of jobs over the years, I have to agree- being told you "can't" climb something because of a shoot is bullshit. What every climber should know if they find themselves in this predicament is this: If you are told you can't climb something, ALWAYS DEMAND MONEY. Big production companies usually have cash money on location to bribe climbers to stay off routes. I've seen two lucky dirtbags walk away with $400 once.
Great advice, never even thought about soliciting a bribe!
highaltitudeflatulentexpulsion · · Colorado · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 35

I would prominently post the soloists name here and give her (another) public crucifixion.

rging · · Salt Lake City, Ut · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 210

Did you ask to see their badges or are they the type that; don't need no stinking badges?

slim · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2004 · Points: 1,103

what a load of horseshit. i bet the radio bitches were prancing around like a bunch of groupies. should have throat punched them.

chuffnugget · · Bolder, CO · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 0

"some prominent free soloist"

...and who would this be? If Honnold, the irony of him keeping trads from tradding is lovely.

"Never Stop Exploiting" - love it.

Greg Gavin · · SLC, UT · Joined Oct 2008 · Points: 888

Ya'll should have aided the thing.

ben jammin · · Moab, UT · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 852

FWIW the BLM fucked up and gave out like 3 permits for Castle Ridge that weekend.

Eric G. · · Saratoga Springs, NY · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 70
The Stoned Master wrote:. The US govt says I own 23 acres in Perry County PA...this is incorrect. I manage, live amongst and care for 23 acres in Perry County. Big fucking difference: ownership versus friendship
Did you pay for all that land with love and experience?
Rob Dillon · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2002 · Points: 760

Do the permits grant exclusive use? of a route, a formation, or the entire ridge?

ben jammin · · Moab, UT · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 852

Just follow this easy flow chart! My bet is that it's for a specific climb. I don't know though..

Can't you read?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Told you can't climb because of a photo shoot?…"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.