Mountain Project Logo

MP officially launches MTB Project: a sister site for mountain biking

Original Post
Nick Wilder · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2005 · Points: 4,098

For years we've thought about creating similar sites for other sports, and finally we're doing it for mountain biking at MTB Project - www.mtbproject.com

A lot of technology has changed since MP was created, and we've learned a lot of lessons in those 7 years. MTB Project is brand new: taking the great things from MP, and adding a lot of new features around mapping and virtual rides (here's a favorite from a recent trip).

We have a deep partnership with International Mountain Bike Association (IMBA), and we share a vision: mountain bikers deserve a dedicated site that helps them discover and enjoy trails around the world.

2,000,000 unique people visited Mountain Project last year, and climbers have shared 97,000 routes on the site! MTB Project is just getting started, so we don't have enough data, but we're hoping mountain bikers have a similar passion and will be psyched to share their rides. Feel free to share your rides and photos!

We're also on Facebook if you'd like to follow our development there.

Andy Librande · · Denver, CO · Joined Nov 2005 · Points: 1,880

This is pretty slick. Really like the virtual tour listed above.

Noticed a problem where on the home page a lot of the blue/colored circles when you click on them only navigate on the right panel and nothing pops-up. Whereas if there are multiple trails seems to work directly in the map. Just some weird UI that I am having a hard time with.

Also is there a way to migrate MountainProject logins into there, like something "inherit profile from MP?".

Would love to see those map features in MP!

JCM · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 115

Very, very well done.

Steven Bishop · · Denver, CO · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 125

Looks pretty sweet.
Stoked to get out and ride!

George Bell · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 5,050

The "Virtual Ride" feature is pretty slick!

I tried adding a comment, but it seems this isn't possible without a Facebook/Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail account. Why can't people just comment on rides without all this social media stuff?

Boissal . · · Small Lake, UT · Joined Aug 2006 · Points: 1,541
George Bell wrote:The "Virtual Ride" feature is pretty slick! I tried adding a comment, but it seems this isn't possible without a Facebook/Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail account. Why can't people just comment on rides without all this social media stuff?
Because if you're not posting GoPro footage of your sends on FB, linking to your blog, posting stills on Instagram and Pinteresting said ride, you didn't do it.
The spray generation demands it. I believe (like you) that it is beyond annoying.

We may actually build in a native comment system that will let you do it without one of those accounts. But getting this live in time for this year's riding season required some efficiencies, and slapping in Facebook's comment system takes about 10 minutes.

Ben Gordon · · La Canada, CA · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 0

This is super sick. As an avid MTBer though I wish it would import segments from strava and do an autobuild feature- something along the lines of, "90% of people who rode this segment rode these other segments, therefore a ride is described algorithmically as a collection of strava segments with a certain probability of being ridden in the same session"

Tom-onator · · trollfreesociety · Joined Feb 2010 · Points: 790

Nick when is the Mtbproject Android app going to be available?
Edit
WOW, that was FAST!!
Nicely done...

JediMindTricks Jordan · · Tucson, Arizona · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 10

Can we add display names to the MTB Project site? I don't want my full first and last name displayed on everything.

Tzilla Rapdrilla · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 955

This thing is great, now I won't need to buy one of those expensive guidebooks just to find trails.

Tom-onator · · trollfreesociety · Joined Feb 2010 · Points: 790
NerdEnPose wrote:Can we add display names to the MTB Project site? I don't want my full first and last name displayed on everything.
Yes NEP. I'm there as Reign man Huckster ( I ride a 6"full suspension Giant Reign 2)
I currently have a posting there on the for sale page.
You'll easily recognize my picture even with my helmet on :)
Brain Bucket
jmapping · · Carbondale, co · Joined Sep 2008 · Points: 766

As a geo-developer and someone who has been a bit of a pain in the ass on some of these forums I have got to say this new MTB site is awesome. You did a great job. I would love to see Mountain Project follow a similar design/framework. Nice work!

J

Bryan Hall · · Portland, Oregon · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 100

I joined and abandoned immediately. I was stoked to contribute my local trails right away. Unfortunately you can't add anything unless you have a GPS to map it? Bummer.

Stonyman Killough · · Alabama · Joined Jan 2008 · Points: 5,785

Awesome site, great job again.

Febs · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 5

Hey, the new site looks amazing. Will it be only for US tracks or will it be worldwide?

We will get worldwide eventually, but it will probably be a few more months at least.

Stonyman Killough · · Alabama · Joined Jan 2008 · Points: 5,785

Cant wait!

AlisonH · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 0

Can't get an email sent to me to remember password!

AlisonH · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 0

Can't get that email sent to me to remember password for mtb project!!!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Mountain Project News
Post a Reply to "MP officially launches MTB Project: a sister si…"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.