Mountain Project Logo

R.I.P. Layton Kor

Original Post
teece303 · · Highlands Ranch, CO · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 596

He passed away last night due to kidney failure, according to Climbing.com

I've climbed many of his routes. I'll have to go climb some more in tribute.

It seemed like he was everywhere.

Layton Kor is Dead

Ben Brotelho · · Albany, NY · Joined May 2011 · Points: 520

RIP. I can't wait to do more of his routes in the future...he will live on through his climbs.

JCM · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 115

The world just got slightly less badass.

Benjamin Chapman · · Small Town, USA · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 18,818

Wow! Truly sad news, but a life well lived, indeed.

Patrick Vernon · · Grand Junction, CO · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 965

Layton Kor is one of my few climbing heroes, he was one of the true spiritual fathers of traditional climbing. His boldness and spirit for adventure were inspiring to say the least. A sad day to know he passed, but uplifting to remember who he was. RIP.

Locker · · Yucca Valley, CA · Joined Oct 2002 · Points: 2,349

Hindsight.

I was offered the opportunity a couple of times to hang out with "the man" and I foolishly did not MAKE the time to pull it off and now really, really, regret it.

Sincerest CONDOLENCES to the Family, Partners, and Friends of Layton Kor. To me, the GREATEST of the GREATS in the climbing world!

John Keller · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2001 · Points: 5

A legend to so many of us, he came to Los Alamos in the late 60s and Kor's Crack at Potrillo Cliffs was one of my favorite routes growing up.

ROC · · Denver, CO · Joined Feb 2003 · Points: 155

Very sad news, but a life well lived. Should be a lesson for us all. I have had the pleasure of climbing many of the routes he put up. What amazing vision. Nothing but respect and gratitude for such an amazing person.

Wyatt Payne · · Littleton CO · Joined Apr 2005 · Points: 495

The last of the early BAD ASSES. In explaining to a colleague who he was my most successful attempt was to say, "Take any Chuck Norris joke you know and insert Laton Kor's name, a climber will laugh." The fitting response he then gave was, "I get it, he was a card carrying Bad Ass!" From what I gather from friends lucky enough to spend time with Laton, even towards the end, he was a man who definitely lived his entire life and didn't simply let it happen to him. The climbing world will be forever changed.

We are all circling the drain. Act Accordingly.

Much Love,

Wyatt

crankenstein · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2005 · Points: 0

What a great life he lived! Though it is sad that he is gone, climbers everywhere should celebrate his life! RIP Mr. Kor!

Tom-onator · · trollfreesociety · Joined Feb 2010 · Points: 790

Very sad indeed.
From the article it appears his last days were filled with pain.
May his Spirit now be carried with the wind.
R.I.P Layton Kor

jhn payne · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 46

So sorry to hear of his passing, he inspired so many, none more than those of us who started in trad, you wanted to be bold and put up FA.I have a treasured copy of "Beyond The Vertical" which chronicled the many areas in which he climbed, it seemed he was everywhere at once, a mythical figure now and for always, my condolences to his many friends and family.

1Eric Rhicard · · Tucson · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 10,101

Started climbing in 1976 and he inspired so many of us at that time.

YDPL8S · · Santa Monica, Ca. · Joined Aug 2003 · Points: 540

Simply said, the man had Vision, with a capital V and then the steel balls to make good on those visions.

Christian "crisco" Burrell · · PG, Utah · Joined May 2007 · Points: 1,815

Anytime you were going to do a Kor route...you knew you have better bring your A game! It was not going to be a gimmie. Rest in peace. We have lost one of the greats.

AnthonyM · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 30
JCM wrote:The world just got slightly less badass.
Well Said.
Woodchuck ATC · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 3,280

We are losing all the greats of 50's-60's climbing history lately..So sad to see another one gone,,a legend, a real hero to many.

Olaf Mitchell · · Paia, Maui, Hi, · Joined Mar 2007 · Points: 4,190

RESPECT!

Chris Rice · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 55

There must have been a route God couldn't climb up there - so he called Layton home. RIP

Jon Cheifitz · · Superior/Lafayette, Co · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 90

Peace and respect to you sir.
-Jon

bhoran Horan · · Boulder, CO · Joined Nov 2008 · Points: 6,580

His Spirit Lives On!

The Titan

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "R.I.P. Layton Kor"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.