Mountain Project Logo

The 2012-13 Colorado Ice Conditions Thread

ozman · · CO / NM · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 510

re: Silverton:

Santa Claus climbed well today with great blue condition. Bootpack has been put in up the creek.

Scotty Nelson · · Boulder · Joined Jan 2002 · Points: 830

Anyone have an opinion on whether Right Gully on McHenry's would be in good shape right now or not?

Martin Barnett · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 95

Please let me know if you find a blue BD turbo ice screw half way up fat city. I had to leave it there a couple of weekends ago when a peice of ice hit my wife. Hope you can help. Thanks.

Eric and Lucie · · Boulder, CO · Joined Oct 2004 · Points: 140

San Juans:

Bridalveil (in Telluride) was a dripping mess on Sunday. We bailed after realizing we had forgotten our swinsuits.

The park was in pretty bad shape Saturday. Still lots to climb but poor conditions. Lead area is barely usable.

Also: found some gear at the base of Bridalveil; reply or PM with a description if it's yours.

SavageMarmot · · Nederland, CO · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 190

Found this lurking around Boulder County after a 2 mile bushwhack from the car.

98% sure this hasn't been climbed before, very remote, no trails, lots of wildlife. On public land.

The break at the bottom has filled in some since the above photo was taken a week earlier, bad camera day today.

Good Beginner/Intermediate route with solid TR anchors (20' sling).
The dilemma is telling anyone where it is.

OReid · · Denver, CO · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 35
Taylor-B. wrote:Any one know any info on the current conditions of Avocado Gulley? Thank You
Avacado Gully is dry as a bone, as of 3/3/2013. Other classics in the Redstone area are in good shape, however. Redstone pillar and Marble Falls both in, and the Drool looked good from the approach to Redstone Pillar.
Scott McMahon · · Boulder, CO · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 1,425
Mike Hughes wrote:The dilemma is telling anyone where it is.
Well Mike, you've made 5 posts about this flow, so I'm guessing you want to really bad. Either that or you enjoy letting everyone know that you now have your own "secret" spot.

Either way it looks like a nice little piece of ice.
SavageMarmot · · Nederland, CO · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 190

Would I be a jerk if someone were to teach me and provide me with the equipment to accomplish a lead climb of this flow in return for disclosure (just need some screws)? It's a precious place and extraordinarily untrammeled, better be good. Can I get a consensus on who I should talk to?

Buff Johnson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2005 · Points: 1,145

no need. just got back.

called it Poindexter Was Here, WI2/3-

enjoy

Kevin Craig · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2002 · Points: 325

I've been visiting our neighbors to north for the past 3 weekends. Anyone know if Hidden Falls in Glenwood or Rifle are still in? Thanks for any info.

B Gilmore · · AZ · Joined Nov 2005 · Points: 1,260

The Talisman is REALLY good right now... video was from about one month ago.

M Smith · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 125
Kevin Craig wrote:I've been visiting our neighbors to north for the past 3 weekends. Anyone know if Hidden Falls in Glenwood or Rifle are still in? Thanks for any info.
Hidden Falls is still great, approach is well packed. The leftmost corner is very fat too. Rifle is very warm, but Stone and Soul are still in good condition.
Noah McKelvin · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 1,500
Beagle wrote:The Talisman is REALLY good right now... video was from about one month ago.
Awesome video! Looks FAT!
Tom Casey wrote: Hidden Falls is still great, approach is well packed. The leftmost corner is very fat too. Rifle is very warm, but Stone and Soul are still in good condition.
Thanks!
tom bohanon · · Glenwood Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 185
Tom Casey wrote: Hidden Falls is still great, approach is well packed. The leftmost corner is very fat too. Rifle is very warm, but Stone and Soul are still in good condition.
FYI...the tyrolean to get to Hidden Falls could do with a bit of tightening. We went up last weekend: I (about 155 pounds plus pack)barely cleared the water, but my partner (likely pushing 200 pounds?)got pretty wet, especially in the afternoon coming back. For some reason the line seemed tighter in the morning.

Was just wondering about the Tyrolean. Will bring gear to try to snug it up if we end up there - especially since my weight is in your partner's range! :)

Mike Bannister · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 443

Anyone been up to The Secret Stash in Vail recently (or this year?) Was going to check it out yesterday but the trail looked rather "virgin" and we bailed.

BillyGoatSam jurekovic · · Colorado Springs · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 15

Anyone been up Total Abandon or Blind Assumption on Pikes Peak Lately? Its been pretty warm in Colorado Springs.

Dan.Schultz · · SW Colorado · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 5

Was up at Vail this weekend. Secret stash was a little beat up, but pretty solid and fun to climb, the Designator was pretty solid, and I think the Fang collapsed and is reforming.

A.P.Lee · · Boulder, CO · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 20

anyone been up to longs lately/know how dreamweaver is looking?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "The 2012-13 Colorado Ice Conditions Thread "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started