Mountain Project Logo

question about a cam and how to sling it?

Original Post
John Torkelson · · Denver, CO · Joined May 2010 · Points: 320

All right. So I came across a cam for super cheap (10 bones) and it doesn't have a sling/webbing on it. Should I use a. the purple bd mini-sling in the picture and if so should I just girth hitch it? b. go retro and make a 1 inch webbing sling and water nut it up? c. use nothing at all and just clip a bine straight to the cam?

Also, I don't know too much about this particular cam. I assume it's advanced base camp but if anyone could enlighten me that would be greatly appreciated. It says "ABC" and "4" on the biner.

thanks home slices.

John

biner

biner and bd

Brian Snider · · NorCal · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 732

Where the he'll you gonna use that in Midland? I'd be careful with an unknown piece. Those lobes look pretty smooth, is that wear or just the style? I would either not use it or put a piece of webing with a water knot on it and save he sling. $10 sling vs 1.79 per foot webing.

dude I think it's the style. I'm only in Midland to get my foot right. I smashed my heel bouldering outside of Price UT, but you're right, not much climbing to do in the mitten. The piece looks solid. I've weighted it and I think it checks out.

John

Evan1984 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 30

There are a lot of threads discussing this very issue.

One of the bigger concerns that people presented was the fact that the plastic sheath on the u-stem will fail well before the unit, leaving nylon on cable. If you look at factory slings they actually have a double layer of webbing over the plastic sheath area.

I have some that a just reslung with cordellette, but I think that I'll send out for a professional job next go.

Evan

Brian Snider · · NorCal · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 732

Sorry born and raised in Americas high five so I had to poke fun when I saw midland. I'm thinking it will hold as long as you don't fall. I did a quick search on abc gear but didn't find much. Pro re sling is prob your best bet.

timt · · Wheat Ridge, CO · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 50

"abc" stands for "advanced base camp." gear company that i am not sure is still around, but made decent gear (not great). didn't know they ever made cams, but i have used some of their nuts years ago.

Scott McMahon · · Boulder, CO · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 1,425
John Layko Torkleson wrote:dude I think it's the style. I'm only in Midland to get my foot right. I smashed my heel bouldering outside of Price UT, but you're right, not much climbing to do in the mitten. The piece looks solid. I've weighted it and I think it checks out. John
That's the way cams were made previously...my early 90's climbing mags are full of the smooth lobe metoluis and ABC cams. That being said that's an OLD cam.
Phil Lauffen · · Innsbruck, AT · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 3,098

Looks fine to me. It doesn't really matter how old it is. I've got a couple of similar style. Anyways all small cams have smooth lobes.

I would just use 1" tubular webbing and a water knot. If you use less than 1", tie a double/triple fishermans.

Peter Stokes · · Them Thar Hills · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 150

I have a bunch of cams that had old and/or suspect webbing when I got them- old style friends and some TCUs (which are similar to the unit in your photo)... I re-equipped them with slings like you're thinking of, but I used V hitches instead of girth hitches because V hitches are supposed to be stronger (haven't done the drop testing myself, but I've heard this repeatedly). That said, I'm thinking of getting them all re-slung professionally, partly due to what Evan1984 mentioned, and partly because I don't seem to fumble around with stock style cam slings quite as much as I have been with my current setup. Regardless of what setup you go for, you should probably avoid clipping carabiners directly to your cams....

thanks everyone for the input. I appreciate it. Come to Michigan for some moderate recreation.

Rob WardenSpaceLizard · · las Vegans, the cosmic void · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 130

clip it with a draw. The spreader bar at the back of the unit keeps it from kinking like cable loops. Or get a new sling bartacked on at Wired bliss Loveland CO for $5 or Runout customs MOAB Ut

Drew Nevius · · Broken Arrow, OK · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 2,426

I was going through an few old Climbing Magazine from 1989 and found a couple ABC advertisements that show your Spider Cam. I thought you might appreciate seeing them. (EDIT: I was able to rotate after uploading)

ABC cam advertisement

ABC Spider cam advertisement

John Layko Torkleson wrote:The piece looks solid. I've weighted it and I think it checks out.
Totally...I find that weighting a piece is the best representation of a factor II fall.

Sweet Tebus...

Not that I don't trust older cams but that cams lobes are smooth because it's one of the SLCDs from the early - mid 90s. If you are really interested I'll dig up some of the really old magazines with advertisements for that cam.

There's a reason why you paid $10 for it. It's old mank and I personally wouldn't trust my life to a 20+ year old piece with unknown history.

Your life is worth more than $10 I would hope.

haha...dang I just realized this is a post from 2010 to which I already replied 3 years ago. Rob he may not see your timely advice.

Ain't got time for that!!

Forthright · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 110

To keep the grave digging alive, I'll add to it.

Those nuts look pretty sweet and light. Any one know if they had any issues?

Jeff Kent · · Sedona, Az · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 0
Scott McMahon wrote: Totally...I find that weighting a piece is the best representation of a factor II fall. Sweet Tebus... Not that I don't trust older cams but that cams lobes are smooth because it's one of the SLCDs from the early - mid 90s. If you are really interested I'll dig up some of the really old magazines with advertisements for that cam. There's a reason why you paid $10 for it. It's old mank and I personally wouldn't trust my life to a 20+ year old piece with unknown history. Your life is worth more than $10 I would hope.

There is nothing wrong with smooth cam lobes. They were not failing back then when placed properly. It's no more dangerous now.
Adam Stackhouse · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 13,955

I've got one of those. Bought it used some years ago.

Spider #4

Jeff Kent wrote: There is nothing wrong with smooth cam lobes. They were not failing back then when placed properly. It's no more dangerous now.
No where in my post did I say smooth lobe cams are dangerous. I said the lobes are smooth because it is a 20+ year old cam, and I'd probably be reluctant to trust such an old cam with an unknown history.

I mean...he bought it for $10. It's not a toothbrush.

Why would you be reluctant to trust it? You can pretty much look at a cam and judge whether it's safe. Do you have to know it's history to trust it?

Jeff Kent wrote:Why would you be reluctant to trust it? You can pretty much look at a cam and judge whether it's safe. Do you have to know it's history to trust it?
I agree partially that sure you can tell if a cam is totally destroyed or decent looking, absolutely. In this particular case though who knows what this cam has seen in it's life. It might be strong enough to hold a truck, but like I said I would take a little more caution with my life.

Don't get me wrong I've bought used cams so I'm contradicting myself, but 20 years is a looong time. Who knows where this little guy has been. But hell...I'm sure I've climbed on sketchy stuff and not known it. :oP

Yeah, I see what you are saying. I started out with a used set of those that I tied 7mm cord to with water knots. Fell on them often and never had one fail. I guess I think this gear that we use is much stronger than we give it credit for.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Trad Climbing
Post a Reply to "question about a cam and how to sling it?"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.