Mountain Project Logo

Tenaya Climbing Shoes

Brian Croce · · san diego, CA · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 60

Its either an 8.5 or a 9. I just need to get it right the first time!

Matt Kuehl · · Las Vegas · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 1,712

Yo smarty pants or anyone in Vegas check out these shoes at Desert Rock Sports! I might even help you put them on

now available on backcountry.

GhaMby Eagan · · Heaven · Joined Oct 2006 · Points: 385

I'm looking for an all day trad shoe. What size should I look at, street size +/-? Is the Masai pretty stiff???

Adam Sanders · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined Nov 2008 · Points: 150

Hey Sweagan - the Masai is pretty stiff and would be a good choice. Its has a relatively narrow and low volume fit. I wear a size that is pretty similar to 5.10 mocs if that helps. The Ra is another good option - i like the velcro for stretching the toes at belays (the Ra also fits my foot shape a little better)

Jeff G · · Colorado · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 1,098

I've been using the Ra's for a few months now and I absolutely love them! I had been using the Muira's for several years but the Ra's are more comfortable and outperform the Muira's. I use them for everything from long multipitch routes to single pitch projects.

I bought some Tatankas. Will let know how they go.

Larry S · · Easton, PA · Joined May 2010 · Points: 872

How do you guys like the heel in these? What would you compare them to? I find that most shoes fit me very tight on the Achilles and annoyingly loose and baggy everywhere else around my heel. I'm particularly interested in the Masai.

Hey Larry, the heels are relatively low volume, meaning they don't have to cut back in so aggressively at the top, so they might be a good fit. As long as your foot isn't really wide the Masai would probably work well. Some of the online retailers will exchange until you are happy. I searched for the Masai on backcountry and found them. The BC folks have always taken good care of me with exchanges and such. But if a local dealer has them already, that would be even better.

Larry S · · Easton, PA · Joined May 2010 · Points: 872

Thanks, Adam. Anyone know of any retailers in the northeast with these or who might have them come spring? I'd really like to try them on.

GhaMby Eagan · · Heaven · Joined Oct 2006 · Points: 385
Adam Sanders wrote:Hey Sweagan - the Masai is pretty stiff and would be a good choice. Its has a relatively narrow and low volume fit. I wear a size that is pretty similar to 5.10 mocs if that helps. The Ra is another good option - i like the velcro for stretching the toes at belays (the Ra also fits my foot shape a little better)
I only use my mocs for indian creek, so they are my street shoe size. Is that what you would suggest? Is there sizing pretty close to other Five Ten shoes? I have a 13 in the Galileo and I wouldn't want to climb multiple pitches in them, besides using them for jamming my toes in thin cracks. Hopefully there is a shop in Portland that has them in my size(s) since I'll be there next week.

My mocs are for the creek, too, but definitely tighter than average creek-shoes. I haven't owned many 5.10s, so I can't speak about the conversion too well. I have a 9.5 Ra that is a good "long-but-still-kinda-hard-route" type comfort/performance fit, and my Sportiva approach shoes are 11. If i wanted super comfort, I could go to a 10, but I prefer a tighter shoe. (for reference, my foot will physically fit into an 8)

I wear a a 9 in 5.10 anazasi and in the moc.

I got the masai's in a 9 and the fit is good imo. tight but not painful with some break-in will be perfect.

I went with an 8.5 in the tatankas.

street shoe is a 10.

Jason Blevins · · Burlington, NC · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 125
Adam Sanders wrote:Hey Larry, the heels are relatively low volume, meaning they don't have to cut back in so aggressively at the top, so they might be a good fit. As long as your foot isn't really wide the Masai would probably work well. Some of the online retailers will exchange until you are happy. I searched for the Masai on backcountry and found them. The BC folks have always taken good care of me with exchanges and such. But if a local dealer has them already, that would be even better.
Adam and All Others,
I been climbing since about 5yrs old 7yrs on my 1st lead(5.4ish) the top pitch, with father(He told me to do it, hooked to leadind know)... He was a 5.12-5.13 Climber, till he fell 66ft landed on concrete(working) on my 11th B-Day...I didn't climb for awhile, started back in late teens(had to lead 5 pitches to top), father handicaped and friend never climbed...anyway I did mostly Friction/Trad and last year I started Climbing Vertical-Sport/Trad/Top Roping and move from Climbing 5.4-5.7,even one 5.9 and my 1st Vertical lead(5.6ish)...But I couldn't step it up(harder climbs) more because of kind of climbing shoes (2 Pairs Boreal Equonix(10.5) and 5.10 coyotes (11)... both sucked at Vertical Climbing... I'm trying to find the Best Shoes to Up my Vertical-Sport,Trad,Face Climbing, also want New C.Shoes to be comfortable enough to do all day/multi-pitch Vertical??? I been reaseaching for months and Bought pair of 5.10 anasazi V2(Blanco)10.5, took awhile to get in them and toes cramped to point of toe nuckles popping out and heel was Super tight around ankle but could probably fit a golf ball in heel pocket!!! I wear 10.5 street shoes and measure 10.5 inches long foot, with Wide feet at pinkey toe...I narrow down to a couple shoes to help me climb Harder Vertical(Shoes that Edges, Sears/sticks,Toes in pockets and is bearable in Comfort!!! I' looking at 1 of the 4 Tenya(widest, plus features above) and the Mad Rock Flash? If anyone can help me in the search for the right shoe for my situation, please help...Thanks, Everone for you time and coments!!! Best wishhes and climbing! Pic of me Struggling to climb a 5.10 in non-vertical shoes! my email is adrenaline.guy@hotmail.com
Monomaniac · · Morrison, CO · Joined Oct 2006 · Points: 17,295

Jason, Based on those criteria, I would recommend the Tenaya Ra. Its wider than the Masai, but still perfect for multi-pitch trad climbing. They're a great "all-around" shoe, but still perfectly capable of edging on really tiny holds. I've worn mine all day while trad climbing with very little discomfort.

Christopher Barlow · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2006 · Points: 540
Dana Bartlett wrote:Taylor Ogden wrote: Any thoughts on how they fit compared to other shoes/brands? I'm specifically interested in how the Ra's compare to Scarpa Vapor V's, if you have used that shoe. The Ras are softer and a bit more flexible than the Vapors. However, I don't think this hinders their edging ability, and I feel it makes them a bit more versatile than the Vapor. The Vapor has less give when you dorsiflex your foot, and in my experience that inhibits their ability to smear and to function on rock that is off vertical. The Vapor is more supportive because it "locks" your foot in and that makes it slightly better at edging than the Ra, but not by much. The Ra - for my foot anyway - fits a bit wider, as well.
As far as sizing specifically, I wore a Vapor lace-up size 42 screaming tight and a Ra 41.5 at a similar tightness. That said, the Ra is still more comfortable at that size and performs better all around except for really aggressive toeing in - as Dana mentions. Overall, I think the comfort outweighs the minor loss in power as I can use my feet better in less pain.
Xan Calonne · · Yucca Valley · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 61

Can somebody explain the difference between the inti and the ra? They look very similar, is one softer or something?

Jason Blevins · · Burlington, NC · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 125
Monomaniac wrote:Jason, Based on those criteria, I would recommend the Tenaya Ra. Its wider than the Masai, but still perfect for multi-pitch trad climbing. They're a great "all-around" shoe, but still perfectly capable of edging on really tiny holds. I've worn mine all day while trad climbing with very little discomfort.
Thanks so Much Monomanic and other climber's been climbing since I was a boy with father (mostly friction, just starting to progress/get into Vertical) But need to find shoe to help step up beyond a 5.7 in Vertical! I Think 99% of all Climber are the Niceest, Caring and Most Helpful/Thoughtful People I meet/know...We look out for each other, help other...I Love Climbers!!! I once was in a summit climb and hed to tie off(lockin to ancore) my follower and go off safety ancore(at belay sation)and quickly through a rope on my back, climb over to another route and drop a rope to a climber that was leading, didnt had any Pro in and was frozen with sowing machine leg and looking at ground fall...I Rapped down to him and got him hooked in my rope...the only reason in sharing this, is that I what to Thank ALL CLIMBERS, for their Values, Caring, Helping each other! We all Family! By the way I was looking at the Tenaya Amigo (like a liceup Ra), but not for sell in US...I've never own velcro's (how they work in holding feet in place and adjustment to feet for comfort in long climbs/multi-pitch)? Thanks, for any/all help, might help other's in same situation!
Xan Calonne wrote:Can somebody explain the difference between the inti and the ra? They look very similar, is one softer or something?
That's a great question, here is what Tenaya's website says:

"Coming from the very best of RA which has cleared some of the hardest routes in world, we have created INTI, a high performance climbing shoe that amazes for its extraordinary response under the foot biomechanical needs in the high difficulty climbs.

To rely on the best attacking angle, to count on the perfect asymmetry, to feel the rock closer or getting the highest force are some of the INTI qualities.

But the most important is “the soul” of the shoe, SXR Dynamics® Technology, a Movement Adjusting System that leads to a better efficiency, precision and comfort."

In my experience the Inti is a bit stiffer than the Ra at the same size, and perhaps slightly lower volume in the toe box. I also think the toe is not quite as pointy, but I'm not sure on that point. I use the Inti for hardcore thin edging. Its the most precise technical edging shoe in my vast arsenal.

Big news! I just got word that Tenayas are now available for purchase at Bentgate in Golden, CO! If you're on the Frontrange, this is your big chance to try them in person.

Even better news, Tenaya is hosting two shoe demos on the Front Range. The first will be at the Boulder Rock Club on Wednesday 3/13, at 5pm, and the second at Miramont in Fort Collins on Thursday 4/18 at 5pm.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Reviews
Post a Reply to "Tenaya Climbing Shoes"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started