Mountain Project Logo

What's the coldest temp you'll climb in?

William Sonoma · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 3,550

A lot of you climb (free climb?) in cold temps. Bare handed, 3/4 finger gloves (just tips exposed) or full glove?

Morgan Patterson · · NH · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 8,945

There are certain walls in CT that when it's 20 deg in the shade the rock and walls heat up into the 60's... it's the dark basalt traprock.

Brian Croce · · san diego, CA · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 60

around -20 F. Just gotta not stop moving.

Nick Zmyewski · · Newark, DE · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 250

I have a pair of 3/4 gloves (tips exposed) that also have a mitten flap attached, so I have alot of flexibility in how much finger I want exposed.

Steve M · · MN · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 100

I've climbed I've at -40 before. That's a different kind of 'fun'.

PTZ · · Chicago/Colorado · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 490

Mid twenties is the coldest we climbed rock. In the RRG so it was a real wet and bone chilling cold. Hot rocks and Tea are essential.We had a week of that and when it finally got above freezing the six foot death icicles start dropping. Scary.

Larry S · · Easton, PA · Joined May 2010 · Points: 872
Nick Zmyewski wrote:I lead high exposure just after new years and it was about 15 degrees that day. So far that's the coldest I've climbed in.
I've been wanting to know what that top-out was like, saw your pictures of it in the snow.

To the OP - If it's above freezing, sunny, and calm, I'd consider certain climbing areas around me that are sheltered and have a good southern exposure. Below freezing, might go bouldering if it's sunny/calm. But really those conditions are rare, so most of the time i end up waiting till it's in the 40's, and just go snowboarding while it's cold.
Dom Caron · · Welsford, New Brunswick Canada · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 1,370

It was -10C (14F) on this February day two years ago.
ipaulsen · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2013 · Points: 15

Check out this heated chalk bag that solves this very problem of having poor circulation to your hands, or on those cold or shaded days. The chalk bag has an integrated heating circuit that you can turn on and off when ever you want!... varmclimbing.com

MRock · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 10

Climbed in just below freezing, snow was spitting and the wind was brutal, thank god for softshells. Skiing however, been down to -15F, took one run to the bar. I rode my bike to class one time in 8F degree weather, that was the worst.

Rob Cotter · · Silverthorne, CO · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 240

Festiglace 2006 -30 easily...

Festiglace...

Josh Brown · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2008 · Points: 20

i've climbed ice at 40 below before. Brutal and lots of shattered ice.
on the flip side i'm a fair weather rock climber and if it is much below 50 in the morning i'm not up for it.

ipaulsen · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2013 · Points: 15
EDGE wrote: Spamming this forum too? There are better, cheaper ways to keep your hands warm than a 2 second dip in a bag. handwarmers.com/id93.html
I like the idea of the direct contact of the hand warmer to your hand. However I feel that strapping the hand warmer to my hand feels kinda bulky(tried this method during development and testing of the Varm chalk bag). Honestly the whole reason I like to use the Varm chalk bag is so I don't have to use chemical hand warmers. Its hard to knock something unless you try it first.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "What's the coldest temp you'll climb in?"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.