Mountain Project Logo

Death at The forks....

Original Post
j mo · · n az · Joined Jan 2009 · Points: 1,200
azdailysun.com/news/local/c…

Thoughts and prayers go out for Joshua Riggs, his family and
loved ones. 32 years young, died at the forks on Monday...
Brigette Beasley · · Monroe, WA · Joined Sep 2008 · Points: 275

Oh no! I'm so sorry. My deepest condolences to his family and friends.

Jeff L · · Valley of the Sun · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 35

what is there to be said? We should consider ourselves lucky to leave this world in an instant, if the time comes. i know the sadness of losing friends while climbing and losing loved ones that did not climb. The loss is heavy and weights on those of us still here. the better moment comes when we are freed from the weight of loss and let the memory of those we loved carry us to new forms of abandonment. Live with them in your heart and you will never be sad again. look for them when you need them, they'll be there. support is invaluable to survivors. do not abandon Joshua Riggs' family or group of friends. if you knew them, they need you now.yes, my prayers go out to him and his family. Be strong, be together. heal, grow, go forward into the unknown together.

Daryl Allan · · Sierra Vista, AZ · Joined Sep 2006 · Points: 1,040

Horrible news. So very sad to hear this.

Geir www.ToofastTopos.com · · Tucson/DMR · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 2,751

Terrible news ... so sorry to hear of this. Be careful folks.

Red · · Tacoma, Toyota · Joined Sep 2008 · Points: 1,625

Terrible news! RIP Josh.
Nice words Jeff.

Here is another report with a picture of Josh.
abc4

Jon C. Sullivan · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 30

Sad news. My thoughts to his family and friends. I assume we do not not what happened yet?
Stay sharp everyone.

Catherine Conner · · Phoenix, AZ · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 230

Such bad news, RIP and condolences to family and friends.

Woodson · · Park City, Ut. · Joined May 2009 · Points: 180

Josh was truly an awesome guy, climbed w him last year at The Creek. So sad. My thoughts are with his girlfriend and family, we will miss you Rasta Josh. Hopefully we can get some more info on what happened.

ben jammin · · Moab, UT · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 852

He will most definitely be missed well outside of the Moab climbing community. He shared his rope with me just a month or so ago at Wall St. Rest in Peace, brother.

Colonel Mustard · · Sacramento, CA · Joined Sep 2005 · Points: 1,241

Very sorry to hear this. I hope friends and family are helping his girlfriend. The trauma of seeing him die must be horrific. The mistakes in our sport are surprisingly few but so dangerous and final when they happen.

Marcy - · · Tucson/DMR · Joined Oct 2006 · Points: 1,190

Very sorry to hear this news. My heart goes out to Josh's loved ones.

Zach Alberts · · Gap, Hautes-Alpes, France · Joined Jun 2009 · Points: 1,611

Josh was a great guy. Thanks for all the good times and for helping me out when I needed it. Sorry that you had to leave us so soon...you will be missed.

NC Rock Climber · · The Oven, AKA Phoenix · Joined Dec 2009 · Points: 60

I am very sorry to hear about this. My sincere condolences to family, friends and girlfriend.

Doen anyone know any details concerning what happened?

eric schweitzer · · Bend, OR · Joined May 2011 · Points: 70
Jon Zucco · · Denver, CO · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 245

...any word on the details of how this happened?

ben jammin · · Moab, UT · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 852

I heard from the folks at Pagan that he missed the rope setting up his belay device for rappel and fell from the top. Simple as that, so sad.

Colonel Mustard · · Sacramento, CA · Joined Sep 2005 · Points: 1,241
MIYG wrote:I heard from the folks at Pagan that he missed the rope setting up his belay device for rappel and fell from the top. Simple as that, so sad.
Zero is the amount of times we can allow that to happen to us. Always test the rap before coming off the anchor, it's your last chance. I'm still very saddened to hear of a death of a member in our tribe. Let's keep each other safe. Safety is always cool, and none of us is immune to making a simple error.
camhead · · Vandalia, Appalachia · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 1,240
MIYG wrote:I heard from the folks at Pagan that he missed the rope setting up his belay device for rappel and fell from the top. Simple as that, so sad.
Wow, second rappelling mistake fatality that I know of at the Forks. Tragic.
reboot · · . · Joined Jul 2006 · Points: 125

That's such a bummer. I've never roped up with the guy but many of us partook the feast he cooked up in a fire pit last thanksgiving at the creek. He'll be sorely missed.

Speaking of rappel fuck up, I nearly died in Zion over this thanksgiving if not for a carabiner randomly hooking onto the belay device carabiner. It was sobering to hang 2 ft below my belay device and realizing what had just happened. Be careful out there...

Curt Shannon · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 5
camhead wrote: Wow, second rappelling mistake fatality that I know of at the Forks. Tragic.
Ditto.

Curt
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Injuries and Accidents
Post a Reply to "Death at The forks...."

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started