Mountain Project Logo

Basalt area - Sport recommendations

Original Post
A Smith · · Bozeman, MT · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 95

Hey guys,

I'm headed to Basalt to visit the gf in a few weeks and looking to get some climbing in while I'm there. Between the two of us, we're looking for sport stuff anywhere up to the middle 5.10 range. Do you guys have any recommendations for a pretty good concentration of fun, easier problems? Looks like a lot of stuff nearby (Independence Pass, Carbondale, Rifle), but most of the "classics" seem to be in the upper 5.10/5.11 range.

Looking forward to any and all (constructive) suggestions!

Jonas Salk · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2008 · Points: 10

There's a guidebook for Rifle and western CO that covers that whole area, a worthwhile guide if you are going to be there for more than a few days. If you are looking for easy-medium sport and you don't mind driving 45 minutes to an hour, I'd recommend Pup Tent of Solitude. Fun stuff from as easy as it gets to pretty hard.
mountainproject.com/v/carbo… mountainproject.com/v/pup-t…

Also this site is very useful for the area. Run by locals who put up the routes and are super nice people to boot.
splitterchoss.com/

A Smith · · Bozeman, MT · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 95

Awesome, thanks for the heads up Jonas! Pup Tent does look like it offers a good range of stuff, so we might have to check that out (and pick up the guidebook). Any other suggestions out there? I'm sure there are a few people in CO that climb below 5.11!

Brian Marsh · · Carbondale, CO · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 155

Check out pooh corner on independence pass. Depends on when you're here it may be closed by than but the route on baby face are super fun. Sugar coated flake 5.8 (or 5.9 depending on the guide book) is one of my favorites in the area.

Bapgar 1 · · Out of the Loop · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 90
Brian marsh wrote:Check out pooh corner on independence pass. Depends on when you're here it may be closed by than
And even if they haven't closed the pass yet it's definitely getting to be winter in the mountains so check the weather before you go.

Rifle would be fun, there's been a lot of newer route development in the range you're looking at and IMO this is the best time of year to climb out there.
Alvaro Arnal · · Aspen, CO · Joined May 2010 · Points: 1,535

If it's still going to be a few weeks before you get out here to climb then Indy Pass will probably be closed and if not then probably damn cold. I'm assuming that if you're coming from NJ you're going to want the Colorado experience and not just climb at a local roadside chosspile (aka our beloved Puoux)? If so, then as someone else mentioned, your best bet for a nice, warm location with climbs in the range you're looking for is the Pup Tent.

Unfortunately the Rifle guide only contains about 10 of the 50+ climbs that are currently up there. If you do end up going there, shoot me an email and I can send you the latest topo with all the climbs. Hell, I may even see you there as it's getting to be the time to head downvalley to climb in the sun and my gf really likes it there.

brat . · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 81

There is enough in the easier 5.10 and under range in Rifle to entertain for a couple days. Plus you can watch the circus.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Basalt area - Sport recommendations"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started