Mountain Project Logo

The 2012-13 Colorado Ice Conditions Thread

Kevin Craig · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2002 · Points: 325

Anyone gone to take a look at the "north" face on Notchtop yet this year?

erik wellborn · · manitou springs · Joined Apr 2008 · Points: 355
Mixed climbing on "Toga Party".

Mixed on the Peak.
A Few pics from climbing on Pikes Peak last weekend.
CanDillo · · The Great State -Colorado · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 280
Total Abandon

More pic' than mix on Pikes Peak
Tony T · · Denver, CO · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 45
Dan Cillo wrote: More pic' than mix on Pikes Peak
Awesome pic! I'm going to have to go investigate!
Brian Marsh · · Carbondale, CO · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 155

Can't wait to get out soon. Anyone in the roaring fork valley looking for a partner hit me up.

Tried to get up Pikes today. Road only open to mile 13. Drove over to Lincoln Falls. Not a scrap of ice anywhere - running water and wet rock. Come on cold!

Matt Shepard · · Broomfield, CO · Joined Jul 2006 · Points: 386

Kevin I hiked to Notchtop with my wife last week and there was hardly any snow on it much less Ice. Might get better with this weather event this weekend

Thanks Matt. I might head up there to do the one of the Ptarmigan Fingers tomorrow. Will let you know if it's gotten any better.

Jon E · · Longmont, CO · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 96

For what its worth Kevin, the last time I saw the ptarmigan fingers they were almost completely melted out. The photo attached was taken in mid august.

Ptarmigan Fingers mid-August.

Yikes! Thanks Jon! That's incredible. Good thing climate change is a hoax. :^/ Guess I've got to take that one off my Fall climbing list - at least until/if we get a couple of big snow years in a row. Darn shame, those used to be some of the best AI climbs around.

Julian Smith · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 2,140
Mike Pharris · · Longmont, CO · Joined May 2007 · Points: 125

Glacier Gorge/Black Lake: All Mixed Up and Black Lake routes are getting started; but - a couple of warm days this week will thin it out to almost nothing. Very early and pretty dry overall - the weather last week got some things started, but without another dose to move it along all progress will be lost.

Freddy.Mondale Mondale · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 55

from chris davenport's instagram today...

From Davenport's instagram.

phil wortmann · · Colorado Springs, Co. · Joined Feb 2005 · Points: 1,186

Lincoln Falls is forming, though the middle of the bowling alley is still rock, and the pillars are a little rainy right now.

Petsfed 00 · · Snohomish, WA · Joined Mar 2002 · Points: 989

Went up to Long's Peak yesterday. Most everything is thin and discontinuous still, and the warm nights weren't helping. This next storm cycle may change that though. The right side of Columbine Falls (not pictured) had about a refrigerator sized hole in through which you could see a lot of flowing water.

Columbine Falls and Peacock Pool area. Forming, still flowing underneath.

Diamond. Lake is not at all frozen.

Jeremy Monahan · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined May 2002 · Points: 410

Come on Smear of Fear and Crazy Train! Haven't seen those lines in a couple years!

Nice pics, thanks Brian.

Noah McKelvin · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 1,500

Smear is pretty hopeless this season I think unless some serious change happens. (Hope I'm wrong) Crazy Train was in over a week ago but not for the faint of heart. The only screws you could have gotten would have been the anchor, if that, but it was touching. Conditions changed big time in just a week from pretty descent to almost summer like. Smear melted in half it seemed. Fields melted out a bit. Hopefully the cooler temps later this week bring some restoration. On the other hand....things that don't see the sun on the East Face....

jeff frame · · Vail,Co · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 5
Noah8000 wrote:Anyone interested in Vail Sunday? (seriously)
drytooling but that s about it ill go though i live here so why not pm me
Scott McMahon · · Boulder, CO · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 1,425
phil wortmann wrote:Lincoln Falls is forming, though the middle of the bowling alley is still rock, and the pillars are a little rainy right now.
This is from above, 4 days ago.
Taylor-B. · · Valdez, AK · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 3,186
The goods.
This photo is from about 2 weeks ago. Lincoln falls is the fattest its been in a long time. I was going up there every other day to chop out the ice dams to keep the water flow going until some one took the community ice axe that was stashed up there. So, if you took an old grivel straight tool can you please return it or PM me.
As of 10/25 in Summit it has snowed a few inches and is about 0F with wind chill.

Long's Peak.
Longs Peak Conditions:
Alexanders- In
Flying Dutchmen- In
Lamb Slide- Alpine Ice
Kieners- In
Eighth Route- out
Cables- In
Dream Weaver- Maybe??
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "The 2012-13 Colorado Ice Conditions Thread "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started