Mountain Project Logo

Um... Actually this year's reel rock is STELLAR

Original Post
j mo · · n az · Joined Jan 2009 · Points: 1,200

Why is there so much inaccurate garbage on mp? Dunno. But file in that category negative reviews of this year's reel rock. Dura dura was fresh, even tho the subject has been done, this was a great new angle. Shark's fin was beyond this world. Off width British guys from their basement= loads of fun. Honnold 3.0. Needs no further explanation. Look, you wanna be a critic? Then go review restaurants or something. This is the heart and soul of climbing we are talking about. Reel rock brings our tribe together and gives us pure stoke.

Kip Kasper · · Bozeman, MT · Joined Feb 2010 · Points: 200
Dylan Weldin · · Ramstein, DE · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 1,715

Just watched it TWICE in a row in Durango and I AM SO STOKED!!! I did, however, miss Ueli and Gadd

The videography of the Sharma/ Ondra bit was stunning, especially the sweeping pan of Daila on that .14d

I also loved the close ups of Honnold's 5.13 free solo 60 foot "boulder". Everyone in the audience was gripped when they realized what he was standing on :)

There was not one person who walked out of our theatre un-stoked. In fact, this may apply now:

youtube.com/watch?v=QgXObaM…

Andrew Arredondo · · Salt Lake City · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 175

Haha, the video is genius. But really, I can't wait to see Reel Rock 7! I think they always do a damn fine job, and they succeed at getting me stoked 100% of the time.

Forthright · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 110

RR7 was freaking sweet and made me enjoy watching sport climbing.

Sir Wanksalot · · County Jail · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 10
Dylan Weldin wrote:
I'm so STOKED now! AWESOME "news" clip from the swagger waggon dad!
Colonel Mustard · · Sacramento, CA · Joined Sep 2005 · Points: 1,241

I didn't go, so I don't know. But the Jesse Jackson meme made the thread for me.

While I also like being stoked, one must never underlook the importance of feeling psyched.

S.Stelli · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Dec 2009 · Points: 150
Colonel Mustard wrote:I didn't go, so I don't know. But the Jesse Jackson meme made the thread for me. While I also like being stoked, one must never underlook the importance of feeling psyched.
HA!

Dont forget... once you have been stoked and are feeling quite psyched, get yourself all amped up! It helps you crush
Petsfed 00 · · Snohomish, WA · Joined Mar 2002 · Points: 989

My only complaint about the whole experience was that Honnold's quip about himself being a douchebag could've happened about 10 minutes earlier, because that whole film was really unnerving to watch until he lightened it up.

Awesome set of flicks.

Buff Johnson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2005 · Points: 1,145

This is way more exciting than the pics of the guy that took a digger in cholla!!

fossana · · leeds, ut · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 13,318
JMo wrote:Why is there so much inaccurate garbage on mp? Dunno. But file in that category negative reviews of this year's reel rock. Dura dura was fresh, even tho the subject has been done, this was a great new angle. Shark's fin was beyond this world. Off width British guys from their basement= loads of fun. Honnold 3.0. Needs no further explanation.
+1
Even the sport climbing film was good.
Woodchuck ATC · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 3,280

I'm good, as long as there isn't like 90% bouldering stuff in all of them. That is a bit too much,look for variety please.

Tony T · · Denver, CO · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 45
camhead · · Vandalia, Appalachia · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 1,240

I think the fact that the OP here uses the terms "stellar," "tribe," and "stoke," puts him on shaky ground. If he were to just push it a bit more, say by typing "splitter," or "psyched," well... someone would have to flatrock the guy.

Dan Felix · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 35

Getting serious for a second here.... I've not seen any of the previous Reel Rock films and my girlfriend and I are planning to go in a few days. The question I have is, how appropriate is RR7 for an 11 year-old since we are considering taking her daughter?

Martin le Roux · · Superior, CO · Joined Jul 2003 · Points: 401
Dan Felix wrote:Getting serious for a second here.... I've not seen any of the previous Reel Rock films and my girlfriend and I are planning to go in a few days. The question I have is, how appropriate is RR7 for an 11 year-old since we are considering taking her daughter?
If she's the impressionable type that would be inspired by the Alex Honnold film to go and try soloing a 3000' cliff then you might want to stay away. Otherwise, there's no sex or nudity, no gratuitous violence, no disturbing imagery except for a fleeting glimpse of the damage that can be inflicted by off-width cracks, and only a few naughty words but nothing that most 11-year-olds wouldn't have heard before.
Dan Felix · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 35
Martin le Roux wrote: If she's the impressionable type that would be inspired by the Alex Honnold film to go and try soloing a 3000' cliff then you might want to stay away. Otherwise, there's no sex or nudity, no gratuitous violence, no disturbing imagery except for a fleeting glimpse of the damage that can be inflicted by off-width cracks, and only a few naughty words but nothing that most 11-year-olds wouldn't have heard before.
That's what I needed to know. Thanks!
chuck claude · · Flagstaff, Az · Joined Jul 2006 · Points: 225

As a single dad, i'd say there wasn't anything wrong for my two daughters.

I think itbwas. Well rounded. The quotes can be funny, like sharma thinking sharma is too old. Actually, the whole video of sharma and ondre ( forgive the misspelling) was REALLY good, and this coming from an old trad/ alpinist type of guy.

The sharksfin video was amazing, not only for the climbing, the scenery, but shows the value of partnerships. After all the crap that is happening on Everest, this is a refreshing look at how partners stand behind each other.

The Honnold video just reminds us that the guy is a mutant, and wonders how many pads are needed for a 60ft V10.

Mark E Dixon · · Possunt, nec posse videntur · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 974
Dan Felix wrote:Getting serious for a second here.... I've not seen any of the previous Reel Rock films and my girlfriend and I are planning to go in a few days. The question I have is, how appropriate is RR7 for an 11 year-old since we are considering taking her daughter?
We took our 12 year old boys and they enjoyed it. A little bit of language, but nothing excessive.
Carl Sherven · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 210

That video reminded me of one of my favorite XKCDs.

Brian Snider · · NorCal · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 732
Ranar wrote:RR7 was freaking sweet and made me enjoy watching sport climbing.
Lol I said the same thing to my girlfriend. I thought they were all great vids and Honnold was even there. He said he liked my BD shirt so I had him sign it. Yeeehaa!
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Um... Actually this year's reel rock is STELLAR"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started