Mountain Project Logo

CLIMBING MEMES

camhead · · Vandalia, Appalachia · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 1,240
Type4Fun · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2012 · Points: 5

--- Invalid image id: 107822097 ---

Aaron Moskowitz · · Philadelphia · Joined Jan 2009 · Points: 345
T. William · · Avon · Joined Oct 2008 · Points: 80

Someone should have taught Gandolf how to mantle.
PTZ · · Chicago/Colorado · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 490
Will S · · Joshua Tree · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 1,061

It's somewhat astonishing that people have taken the concept of a meme, and bastardized it into meaning "random pictures with text across them in an attempt at ironic humor".

Meme (actually the full term was mimeme) was a Dawkins term, basically meaning a means of cultural transfer...fashion, music styles, speech patterns/slang, etc. It morphed in the early 2000s, particularly in news media/polical media into a snynonym for the underlying, often false or spun, narrative (e.g. "Romney is a job creator businessman" on one side vs. "Romney is a vulture capitalist"...competing memes or narratives).

Leave it to the lowest common demoninator of the internet to retard this term into essentially meaning a lame attempt at campy, ironic, or quirky humor. I blame the hipsters.

Sir Wanksalot · · County Jail · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 10
Will S wrote: I blame the hipsters.
Ass Hats, really.
doligo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2008 · Points: 264
Will S wrote: I blame the hipsters.
No irony in it, sorry, so I doubt it has anything to do with hipsters...
Dankasaurus · · Lyons, CO · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 85

What's a "Dawkins"?

Believe you meant "regress the term"?

MountainManny · · Idaho Springs · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 820
Will S wrote:It's somewhat astonishing that people have taken the concept of a meme, and bastardized it into meaning "random pictures with text across them in an attempt at ironic humor". Meme (actually the full term was mimeme) was a Dawkins term, basically meaning a means of cultural transfer...fashion, music styles, speech patterns/slang, etc. It morphed in the early 2000s, particularly in news media/polical media into a snynonym for the underlying, often false or spun, narrative (e.g. "Romney is a job creator businessman" on one side vs. "Romney is a vulture capitalist"...competing memes or narratives). Leave it to the lowest common demoninator of the internet to retard this term into essentially meaning a lame attempt at campy, ironic, or quirky humor. I blame the hipsters.
Ohhhh Will
Dave Bn · · Boise, ID · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 10
Will S wrote:It's somewhat astonishing that people have taken the concept of a meme, and bastardized it into meaning "random pictures with text across them in an attempt at ironic humor". Meme (actually the full term was mimeme) was a Dawkins term, basically meaning a means of cultural transfer...fashion, music styles, speech patterns/slang, etc. It morphed in the early 2000s, particularly in news media/polical media into a snynonym for the underlying, often false or spun, narrative (e.g. "Romney is a job creator businessman" on one side vs. "Romney is a vulture capitalist"...competing memes or narratives). Leave it to the lowest common demoninator of the internet to retard this term into essentially meaning a lame attempt at campy, ironic, or quirky humor. I blame the hipsters.
I bet you're a blast to have a beer with...
leave a trace · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2012 · Points: 10
This post violated Rule #1. It has been removed by Mountain Project.
Tim Stich · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,520

camhead · · Vandalia, Appalachia · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 1,240

actually, any one of these images has the potential to become a meme. I would not count on it, though.

Aaron Hope · · San Luis Obispo · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 346
Will S wrote:It's somewhat astonishing that people have taken the concept of a meme, and bastardized it into meaning "random pictures with text across them in an attempt at ironic humor". Meme (actually the full term was mimeme) was a Dawkins term, basically meaning a means of cultural transfer...fashion, music styles, speech patterns/slang, etc...
Dawkins definition of a meme, as described in the Selfish Gene, is any idea with characteristics that allow for easy and efficient replication. Which would mean that "random pictures with text across them" or image macros are the PERFECT example of a meme as proven by the fact that everyone is using them even if the images themselves are never replicated.

I still give you two big thumbs up for bringing up Dawkins though.
leave a trace · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2012 · Points: 10
This post violated Rule #1. It has been removed by Mountain Project.
Tim Stich · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,520

Dawkins? Didn't he host Family Feud? Love that guy.

MountainManny · · Idaho Springs · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 820
Stich wrote:Dawkins? Didn't he host Family Feud? Love that guy.
lol...close...Dawson....Dirty Dick Dawson
D Snyder · · Virgin, Utah · Joined Aug 2006 · Points: 245
D Snyder · · Virgin, Utah · Joined Aug 2006 · Points: 245
Randy W. wrote: Ass Hats, really.
moar like ass clowns, really.

This topic is locked and closed to new replies.

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started