Mountain Project Logo

Bolted OW sport routes, or OW boulder problems?

Original Post
lady jane · · Boulder, CO · Joined Sep 2012 · Points: 0

So, lately I've been super inspired by the Wide Boyz and Pamela Pack (I mean whoa, what a badass.) And I've been thinking I might like to try a little offwidth climbing, just for fun... but I don't see myself investing in any giant pro anytime soon. SO, my question is this: Does anyone know of any OW routes that are bolted for sport climbing? And if that doesn't exist, how about some good beginner OW boulder problems? I live in CO in the Boulder area but would love to know about fun things in any place... Thanks guys!!!

BoulderCharles · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 95

You can set up a top rope, with gear, on Huston Crack ( mountainproject.com/v/husto…). That's a lot of fun and classic OW.

Petsfed 00 · · Snohomish, WA · Joined Mar 2002 · Points: 989

Alternately, Vedauwoo is PACKED with offwidth boulder problems and easily top-roped offwidths (Fantasia is easily toproped after climbing Kim, Orbital Ridge is an alternate start to Skull and requires some true leavittation to go at the posted grade). Squat (5.12b) is bolted, but with old quarter-inchers that pre-date the invention of Big Bros, or even the manufacture of #5 friends.

A few of Shanti's routes might have bolts on them, but they really aren't sport climbs, or bolted with that idea in mind.

Guy Kenny Jr · · Boulder, CO · Joined Nov 2008 · Points: 10

A few entry level routes that will work with up to a #4 Camalot

Avalon 3rd tier Crackland
Mystery Tour mountainproject.com/v/myste…
Thus us mountainproject.com/v/thus-…

Bolted squeeze chimney Enemy Within mountainproject.com/v/the-e…

Just did all of these in the past few weeks. Hudson is a good one too.

Prod.

Awesome guys, thanks!!! These are all really great, I hadn't thought of setting up a TR, brilliant.

Charles, the Huston crack looks sweet. From reading about the crag, seems like it's pretty easy to just scramble up the side to set a TR.. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I've never set up a TR on a trad route... what gear would I need? Are there bolts at the top? I'm super psyched to try this route!!

Hudson would require a gear anchor. I wanna say a #2 camalot and 2 more smaller cams. Can't remember. If you do TR it, make sure to get on Aid Crack, just to the right. 10d tips.

Prod.

Ok, yeah I've never set an anchor that way, so I suppose that route will have to wait. Enemy Within looks rad though, I like the idea of a squeeze chimney, cool!!! Do you think it's possible to hike to the top and set a TR with those bolts?

I don't think you can hike up to that? Not sure, but it can be climbed with 1 or 2 cams, a few nuts and 2 quick draws, then you'd also need draws for the anchor. Then you could TR Thus Us from the same anchors.

Prod.

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0

Me thinks you need to just go buy some big bros. they are really shiny and super fun to play with!! And the biiger the gear on your harness the cooler you look.

Ryan N · · Bellingham, WA · Joined May 2009 · Points: 195

If you really wanna get worked set up a TR on Huston crack. It's humbling to say the least. Offwidth but I remember that there's not much wide gear maybe a 4 or 5? And you can scramble low 5th to set up a TR.

Greg D · · Here · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 883

..." If you don't know how to set a SRENE gear anchor, get someone who does to show you."

As if someone could just tell you in a few minutes, maybe over the internet. Come on. Bad advice

Edit because of John and Ted's response below which are a result of a misunderstanding. I was quoting someone that deleted their post. Hence, it may have appeared that I was speaking to the op directly. I was not.

RockyMtnTed · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 0
Greg D wrote:..." If you don't know how to set a SRENE gear anchor, get someone who does to show you." As if someone could just tell you in a few minutes, maybe over the internet. Come on. Bad advice
I don't think thats what the OP was suggesting. In fact I am SURE he was not saying "have someone explain to you over the internet how to build a natural anchor and take it from there"... Pretty easy to understand the OP meant find someone that knows how to do it and have them take you out and set on up and show you how its done.

Reading comprehension Greg.... Come on! Try to work on it!
Greg D · · Here · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 883
RockyMtnTed wrote: I don't think thats what the OP was suggesting. In fact I am SURE he was not saying "have someone explain to you over the internet how to build a natural anchor and take it from there"... Pretty easy to understand the OP meant find someone that knows how to do it and have them take you out and set on up and show you how its done. Reading comprehension Greg.... Come on! Try to work on it!
Actually I wasn't responding to the op. Someone else suggested it and has since deleted his post. He must have realized it was bad advice. Total comprehension Ted?
Julius Beres · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 364

Can you climb trad or have friends that do? There are lots of easy trad lines you can climb and then throw a rope on an offwidth to top rope without needing big gear.

Someone has already mentioned Huston Crack... there is also Umph Slot in BC.
In Eldo, I would recommend:
Climb Hand Crack(aka White Lightning) and then throw a TR on Funeral March.
mountainproject.com/v/hand-…
mountainproject.com/v/funer…

Climb anything to get up to the upper Ramp (eg, climb the first 3 pitches of Ruper (nice to have a #4 but not necessary) or Rosy Crucifixion (doesn't require any big gear). Then have your partner lower you down Grand Giraffe and TR that. (It helps if you partner knows where the top is, as it is not obvious, but it is easily described). If you are hard core, climb Vertigo, which tops out pretty much where you would lower off to Grand Giraffe... you could also climb any of the routes like Yellow Spur, Icarus,etc that you rap past the upper ramp to get off...

Climb Wolf's Tooth on the Twin Owls at Lumpy Ridge. Although it is an offwidth, you can protect it all with small gear (mostly nuts, largest thing I used was a #3 cam). From the anchors on top of the first pitch, you can TR Tiger's Tooth (don't stem it if you want the full offwidth experience).

Mike Lane · · AnCapistan · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 880

Maybe someday the author will publicize this but don't hold your breath for it being anytime soon. Ha.

secret

Cor · · Sandbagging since 1989 · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 1,445

looks like a climb at the maze in vedauwoo...

but that is a chimney, not an offwidth!

Dankasaurus · · Lyons, CO · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 85

Was just at The Maze in the Voo...if you lead "stepford wives" which is 5.8 perfect hands you can easily TR a couple of hard OW climbs.

BoulderCharles · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 95

If you are looking for bolted OWs, you probably won't find much in the Front Range so my (revised) reco would be to head up to Vedauwoo with a few bouldering pads, thick jeans, lots of tape, and a "mad at the world" attitude.

Oh, and go to Wild Country's website and see the crack school videos. Very helpful stuff.

Enjoy!

Chalk Norris · · Brighton, CO · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 254

Hey Dankasaurus...I have been looking for the maze (stepford wives) inparticular and cant seem to find it. Any chance, can you give some beta on how to get there? sounds super sweet. would love to get on it.
thanks,
brandon

Dankasaurus · · Lyons, CO · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 85

PM sent with beta. Let me know if you want more info.

Like folks are sayin'...the Voo is the place for the true OW experience. Throw in awesome granite fingers and hands and fists and dicey slabs.

Adam B · · Wheat Ridge, CO · Joined Oct 2008 · Points: 310

Suprised nobody mentioned turkery perch
mountainproject.com/v/turke…

Ragger Bagger
Gobble up
Steppenwolf

All are a little wide and you can sling trees on Ragger and Gobble. Might need some gear to TR Steppenwolf though.

You can knee bar and chicken wing on cornered up in SSV if your skinny, but it's not really OW
mountainproject.com/v/corne…

And you can TR Admission Crack from Remission (bolts) up in SSV
mountainproject.com/v/remis…

Look to stronger climbers for harder suggestions. Have fun!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Bolted OW sport routes, or OW boulder problems?"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.