Mountain Project Logo

3 person tents?

Original Post
Optimistic · · New Paltz · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 450

Looking for light 3-person tent for non-winter use. Big Agnes Fly Creek UL3 and Easton Mountain Products Kilo 3P are two candidates. Any opinions on those or others that are better?
Note tent will mostly be used by two folks wanting to spread out a little, not by three people, so light rather than huge is the goal. Obviously, a 2-person tent would be even lighter.
Thanks,
David

Eric and Lucie · · Boulder, CO · Joined Oct 2004 · Points: 140

I just started using a BA Fly Creek UL2 (the 2-person version). So far only one trip but three nights.
My impressions:

• incredibly well made tent. Every detail has been refined to the extreme. Highest quality tent I've ever owned (and I've had many)
  • incredibly light, and for that I love it.
  • not self-standing but I've never seen that as a requirement anyway.
  • did not get much wind on this trip but it sets up very taught and seems like it is quite stable
  • it is an ultralight tent, i.e. it is small. I am 6'4" and my partner 5'6". Plenty of room to sleep once in the tent (though not roomy), but pretty tight to get in and out, and too low for me to really dress/undress inside. I'd say it's similar in size to the old Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight (which I had two of), only MUCH lighter.

I'd buy it again for quality/lightweight, but it is a minimalist tent.

The UL3 will obviously be a bit roomier (though not taller?), but also quite a bit heavier.
Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0

Check out the Marmot Ajax three man tent. Same as lime light but all mesh instead,... With coupon code $135 on STP. Two vestibules...

Adam Bunger · · Someplace in the Northeast · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 1,025

I have a Marmot Limelight that I've been pretty happy with. Big Agnes stuff is always solid. No experience with Easton.

Rob Lipinski · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 0

Girlfriend just bought the 2 man Marmot AJAX nice tent but there is a seam right at the floor. IE not a bathtub...huge design flaw in torrential rain but otherwise a very nice well designed tent. For anything over 2 people use I'll always use a Eureka Timberline...Im kinda oldschool but that tent has NEVER let me down

Sarah Welch · · Boston, MA · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 0

Have you looked at Hilleberg's new three season tents?

I just purchased the Anjan 3. It is a hoop style tent (not free standing) and 4lb 4oz. I liked Anjan 3 because
1) light as many 2 man tents
2) sturdy - it is light but durable unlike many "ultralight" tents
3) easy pitching - the poles go into sleeves on the fly and the tent body dangles beneath by removable toggles. (Easy to see on their website)

It is very spacious as a 2 man tent, though I think it would be a tight 3 man tent.

hilleberg.com/home/products…

The only downside is the price...but if you order it from Moontrail they have a nice bonus point system and I got a free water filter.

Optimistic · · New Paltz · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 450
Dave Schultz wrote:BA Cooper Spur UL3. My wife and I plus our dalmatian. Initial trial in the living rooms seems like it will be perfect, first overnight trip next weekend. For two people wanting more room, you probably can't beat a BA. Also, what about going with a two person, getting the footprint, and then using only the fly? You gain a TON of additional room, and you usually don't need the actual tent unless a severe storm hits; you could carry the whole thing, but only use the footprint and fly unless you were expecting a hurricane.
Thanks to everyone who wrote in!
Dave, about the "only the fly" strategy you describe, supposedly it can be pretty buggy up there...wouldn't a lot of skeeters be able to get inside the fly? The weight and space improvements with that approach do sound good, though.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "3 person tents? "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started