Mountain Project Logo

Ripstop Repairs vs Boulder Mountain Repair

Mark E Dixon · · Possunt, nec posse videntur · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 974

Until Hank starts up his new business, I, for one, am grateful for the public service Ripstop provides.

If you adjust your expectations, and approach the transaction as if you were requesting a favor from a stranger, you will probably end up a lot happier.

Mark

Tim Stich · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,520

What all of this impresses upon me is that it is not worthwhile to repair an old pack unless you can do the repairs yourself.

I'll just buy a new one when the old one finally wears out. I don't need the headache.

Tony B · · Around Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 24,665

Speaking of which - any of my local pals out there got a heavy-duty sewing machine? I need to tack a few non-life-application things: IE a crazy creek chair strap... Not worth mailing around a lot, but worth a few stitches...

Just get a Speedy Stitcher, Tony, and then you can make your own repairs and even your own gear if so inclined.

Speedy Stitcher

I still use mine a lot.

alley jim · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 20

What I wanna know is why people Google search RIPSTOP REPAIRS and always read; “Ripstop Repairs - the sad aftermath – PSA” , but never read the happy ending at; “Ripstop Repairs (reality check)”, or what I like to do is cut and paste the phrase; “well, it's pretty well known that Ray has issues” (hee, hee). If you follow the thread the original problem was caused by the customer putting the wrong name and return address on his box. (We no longer accept boxes)

represent

Dave Swink · · Boulder, Co · Joined Jun 2007 · Points: 285
Mark E Dixon wrote:Until Hank starts up his new business, I, for one, am grateful for the public service Ripstop provides. If you adjust your expectations, and approach the transaction as if you were requesting a favor from a stranger, you will probably end up a lot happier. Mark
Yup, as a I posted above, I was not greeted with enthusiasm but the guy insisted on discussing what I wanted in professional detail and the work was top-drawer plus the cost was surprisingly low. I would definitely take gear there again but I would not expect sunshine or emails, and I would not take a real rush job in there. If I lived out of town, I would have too think hard about driving in just to pick up repaired gear without a verification that it was done, for sure.

My take is that Ripstop is what it is. They don't pretend to be otherwise.
Will S · · Joshua Tree · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 1,061
Dave Swink wrote: If I lived out of town, I would have too think hard about driving in just to pick up repaired gear without a verification that it was done, for sure.
And when they won't answer the phone, won't notify you when it's ready, won't reply to e-mail, and won't empty their voicemail box, how exactly would you propose getting a "verification" in that case?
Newton · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 155

I'll just add my experience here. I went to BMR when they were in Table Mesa shopping center, and they essentially told me they were too busy to repair my backpack any time in the next month. Not a bad experience, I appreciated the honesty. FWIW a good friend had some awesome customization done by them about 7 years ago- building a frame system into a frameless pack. They helped him design, he picked up some parts at McGuckin's and they did a great job.
I cruised on to Ripstop, they took in my work, listened to what I wanted done, and gave me a date to pick it up. I did so, and everything was done far beyond my expectations. Fantastic quality work, extremely low price, and it was turned around relatively quickly (more importantly, it was done when they said it would be done).
So from my experience, Ripstop is the best. I like the no nonsense customer service- it's straightforward and keeps prices down. I don't need to feel like I'm a special snowflake when I go in there, I just need to get my shit fixed. They do that and they do it well. Maybe the telerepair experience is not so great, or maybe folks are expecting to much handholding, I couldn't tell ya.

Mark E Dixon · · Possunt, nec posse videntur · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 974
Will S wrote: And when they won't answer the phone, won't notify you when it's ready, won't reply to e-mail, and won't empty their voicemail box, how exactly would you propose getting a "verification" in that case?
Ask a local to stop by next time said local goes to Rock and Resole?

Mark
alley jim · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 20

Does anyone know the phone number for Rock and Resole??

Cor · · Sandbagging since 1989 · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 1,445

ask rascal...

Dave Swink · · Boulder, Co · Joined Jun 2007 · Points: 285
Will S wrote: And when they won't answer the phone, won't notify you when it's ready, won't reply to e-mail, and won't empty their voicemail box, how exactly would you propose getting a "verification" in that case?

I hear ya, Will. My intent was to suggest that I would probably not use them if I wasn't local, or visiting Boulder frequently for other reasons, because of the verification problem.

How do you know what people read about you, Jim? You are the one Googling your company name and drawing conclusions about what others read about it. Ha ha ha.

And yes, I did in fact note that the guy complaining completely f'ed up the return address, which is something I have had to deal with recently myself. Annoying, right?

That's pretty advanced stuff cutting and pasting Mia's face on your "No Mia" button. Do you do your own Photoshopping, too? You have some Internet photo skillz, brah. Why not try to be less of a dick once in a while to a walk in?

Bob Dergay · · Colorado · Joined Oct 2006 · Points: 101

I'll dive in here with a story:

First off, several of my friends have know Jim for years and they speak highly of his work, but caution that he's not even a little bit of a people-person, and to not expect that. That's fine-- I used to work for Dave Waggoner at CCH back in the day and I know the type. And I too am there to get a job completed, not make some new chatty buddies... So I have zero problem with that...

But I took a sleeping bad to Jim to replace a blown zipper.. and to this day I'm still confused about what happened... Like I said, sleeping bag, blown zipper needed replacing-- no special requests, no impending dead-line demands.. but within moments of discussing it with Jim, he became angry at me..... I'm still scratching my head over what happened.... Here I was looking to pay him... yet he was chastising me for coming to him to replace a zipper on a sleeping bag..... I even went back outside to check the sign over the door to make sure I was at a place that did fabric repairs! Needless to say, I left.

Dude- we get you're not a people-person, and I (and I'd assume most here) are totally willing to overlook that as, like I said, I was looking for a zipper replacement, not a buddy... You need to go work in the back with your favorite machine and let someone else deal with the public. You oughta try to get Kyle back in town and have her run the front of the shop!

Some people will tolerate house cats that just up and scratch them for no reason.

Tits McGee · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2008 · Points: 260

This thread is funny. It should be called, "Boulder Problems."

I have been going to Ripstop Repairs since I first moved to Boulder. Jim's work should speak for itself and does. If you are looking for some feel good customer service, go to REI. If you are looking for someone who is highly skilled at fixing a piece of gear that was never designed to actually be repaired (planned obsolescence) go to Jim. It's not his fault you put six crampon holes in your soft shell pants or busted your zipper on your sleeping bag. He will fix it. Sure, he's not the most civil, polite, friendly person, but I don't go there for that.

If you don't have a thick skin, don't go there. If you like to pay 2-way shipping and wait 4-6 weeks for a repair, ship it off to Rainy Mountain.

If you have read this and still want to go to Jim, but are nervous about how scary and mean he is...Don't be. Your repair will heal any wounds you may incur from your feelings being hurt.

beth bennett · · boulder · Joined May 2007 · Points: 5

i hesitate to add my 2 cents worth but here goes: i've always had great work from ripstop. no you don't get it back the next day and jim can be brusque but i wouldn't characterize him as rude. what i look for is quality workmanship and i have always gotten that for what i considered a great price.

One should never hesitate to add their contributions here, even Ed what's his name who deleted his comments. I am now a princess, too! See, I felt that pea you put under that mattress down there. Please remove it.

Cindy · · Lafayette, CO · Joined Dec 2006 · Points: 20

I've always had excellent work done by Ripstop, at an extremely good price, and very helpful input on doing a few repairs myself. Their buiness model doesn't have prices that support typical customer service, like phone calls and emails or friendly staff at the front counter. That's just how it is, but they do great work.

MTN MIA · · Vail · Joined May 2006 · Points: 405

I didn't realize that they have a "business model"!!!!!

Perhaps they should trademark it.......and then they could all retire......

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Ripstop Repairs vs Boulder Mountain Repair"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.