Mountain Project Logo

BLACK ICE PARKA

Original Post
tomast · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 10

Hello Everyone about 27 years ago I did a 6 month internship with a Forestry Company in their reforestation department, I was stationed in Silver City New Mexico but traveled all over the state to survey and map huge areas for reforestation, areas that been cleared due to lumber production or areas where forest fires had consumed acres and acres of forest. We did some climbing to get to remote areas or descended into valleys where vehicles could not go. Never truly ventured above the tree lines. We were issued clothing. My question is does anyone remember who made the BLACK ICE line of clothing? I still have my parka and use it regularly with pride but I was curious who made this parka. On the right hand warmer pocket there is stitching with the following "BLACK ICE EXTREME WEATHER PROTECTION SYSTEM". The right sleeve has the symbol for Teflon stitched in and the words Teflon coated. This jacket is bomb proof I have had it for 27 plus years and its held up since, including the 6months of hard use while with the company through the years it seen numerous camping trips, fishing trips, snow storms, ect. The Parka had a fleece liner that since is in tatters and this would snap in at the collar and sleeves (ala Columbia) I will describe some features the hood rolled away into the collar and the collar had stitching BLAC ICE on it, it had core vent pockets in the chest and full pit zips, All key areas were reinforced with super heavy rip stop like the uperback and shoulders and the sleeves from the elbow down. It has rain gutters and a map pocket accessible from the outside another one inside. The color of the parkas we were issued were yellow and black. I own several TNF and Mountain hard wear and Marmot jackets but they still don’t match the quality of this indestructible Black Ice jacket/parka. For six months Had a tool belt around the waist a Backpack and my harness and never did this jacket wear out in any of the spots. I will post pics if it helps (I am Just curious to find out who made this and if there is a modern equivalent.) One more thing the logo is stitched on the chest is a black and white mountain. The jacket started to "WET_OUT" even after treatment but it is still my favorite. I am 50 years old now and not as active but love to wear this jacket still.

Woodchuck ATC · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 3,280

I have a fleece lined Black Ice jacket, purple, just a mild winter temps waist length jacket. Still wear it and love the fit. No other tags or ID of who makes the jacket, just the tag inside the neck. I"ve had mine for over 20 years too....no idea if I got it mail order from someone or if it was at a sporting goods store like REI or similar back then. Good luck!

Thank you for your reply I posted a couple of pics to see if it rings a bell anywhere. It was very kind of you to answer and your right no label or tags on the inside with any clues.

Lexy Bye · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2017 · Points: 0

Hello! :) I don't know if this is still in question, but I just came along this aswell, as I have the same isshue now of finding/wondering original makers and worth of, and have a "BLACK ICE EXTREME WEATHER PROTECTION SYSTEM" jacket, about 16 years old too haha! From what I know of it if it helps, Mine came from my grandma from Saskatchewan Sears we think. Here's a picture, mine has same markings, details and logos as the first  

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to " BLACK ICE PARKA"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started