Mountain Project Logo

For those of you with dogs on climbing trips

Garrett Klingler · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 0

Get a shock collar for your dog...they will act perfectly at the crag.

mitchy B · · nunya gotdamn business. · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 0

shock collar or stick, when your dog starts pissin' you off just shock his ass or hit'em with a stick, sooner or later he'll get the picture.

danulu · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 45

Some dogs add class to the crag.

bearbreeder · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 3,065

i luv it when they bring doggays ... a quick protein fix after climbing does wonders ....

MTN MIA · · Vail · Joined May 2006 · Points: 405
FrankPS wrote: Do these techniques work with girlfriends?
No, but they work well with boyfriends......kind of the reverse Fifty Shades......
Elena Sera Jose · · colorado · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 350

so there were 3 dogs at the crag all had different owners, everyone especially girls adored a fluffy pup and the dogs seem to have had a good time playing with each other. one dog was walking all over the rope i was belaying with ( not my rope) but the owner of the rope did not say anything (he does not say much in general) i did not say anything because i was kinda tired and frustrated at a 5.6 i could not lead earlier. The owner of the dog said something like: "oh u should not walk on those peoples rope", but it went no farther. If it was my rope or I was not so tired i would have said something about the dog walking on the rope. So the point im trying to make here is: if you are reading this thread please dont let your dog walk on other peoples rope, because if they are not really tired or trying to work a route and focus they may say something...unpleasant even.
p.s. now i feel guilty for not saying something about that guys rope being walked on.

Usually a back hand works pretty well.

Alex Washburne · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 65

I liked that (typo?) in the beginning: there are crag dogs and there are drag dogs. I'm a firm believer that proper training can go a long ways to change a dog's temperament, but I'm also not a trained dog trainer.

I have a husky too, and he's very chill at crags. I've had a lot of people compliment him and his very quiet, reserved personality at the crags. A big part of it is that I was lucky to have picked out a very loving dog to begin with - as I walked out of the pound on day 1 with Jack, he submissively (ears down, head & tail low) approached a toddler and licked her gently on the chin.

That said, I also spent a long time taking Jack to social situations before taking him to a crag. Continually introduce your dog to new people and new situations, and be ready to risk being the asshole who's lecturing their dog in company - it sucks at first, but it's better to be that asshole for a year than to be the pathetic mediator who pets their snarling, rabid dog while saying to the stranger "It's okay, Snookie's friendly".

Also, I'm not sure if it's been said yet, but there's one thing that's definitely worth consideration: even if the dog behaves well, the risk of falling objects (rocks, biners, people) that can permanently damage or kill the dog should give us pause. The risk can be mitigated slightly by choosing well-protected spots to leash up the pup, but it's still a risk that should we should know we're taking when we bring our best friends to the crag.

Good luck with the training!

mitchy wrote:Usually a back hand works pretty well.
Very shovenistic comment. It's a shame in this day and age t his is the way of thinking in some cases of a pathetic attempt at machismo.
Jake Jones wrote: Yes, but only the Eastern European ones.
Not only shovenist but also a prejudiced person with a very closed mind who probably does not even know a single Eastern European woman personally. This is not a joke.

Not an attempt to be macho, just simply stating a fact.

Btw u can no longer be deported as long as u can prove abuse physical or emotional. This story makes me sick to my stomach. So u think I don't know what has been happening to some women, not only from Eastern Europe but also from Asia in this country?! U joking or being sarcastic about this is very rude and disrespectful. Women's rights in this country have gone way far especially when it comes to domestic abuse. Watch movie Eastern Promises. To think that you are a climber and saying it on a climbing site makes me even sicker!

Just go to the Pharmacy and grab a bottle of Maalox, that should help with your malady.

mitchy wrote:Just go to the Pharmacy and grab a bottle of Maalox, that should help with your malady.
Both u and your friend are ...let me guess.....stuck at their miserable places of work? ....wishing they could come out and play more? Go focus on politics and don't forget to flush it all down with a stiff drink before u come home and kiss your ladies' asses.
Jake Jones wrote: Your brain is broken.
So maybe your heart is broken by some golddiger chick...pick it up and climb with your buddies cowboy, bash chicks feel better, repeat.!

My place of work is definately NOT miserable, get paid very well for what i do. I get out plenty, drink plenty and don't really kiss any ass, and i'm not really into politics.

mitchy wrote:My place of work is definately NOT miserable, get paid very well for what i do. I get out plenty, drink plenty and don't really kiss any ass, and i'm not really into politics.
What do you do?....I don't care what u say ..u do kiss some ass
I can tell.

Typical response....'soulless Russian golddigers!' Last time I heard the term was from a woman at work whose boyfriend was 'stolen' by one of those. Boring! Well let me enlighten you cowboy: everyone does it in every country! Its called being an opportunist. Women stay in abusive marriages here because the husband pays the bills hey some men do it! Its money, status, fame whatever! Boooooring!

Ironically just sitting in a nail salon talking to a girl from Cambodia....surprise! Same story....he does not want her to get her GED so she can go to school. Im totally corruptimg her mind telling her she should go to school and be a nurse....

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "For those of you with dogs on climbing trips"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started