Mountain Project Logo

Size of DMM Phantom vs Spectre?

Original Post
mountainhick · · Black Hawk, CO · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 120

Thanks for the answer Mattm.

mattm · · TX · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 1,885
Ben Hicks wrote:I can't find actual size data for the Spectre compared to the Phantom. Anyone have them and can measure the overall size along the long axis?
I prefer the Spectre 2s to the Phantom. The mini biners are too small for my mitts. Phantom nose isn't hooded either... YMMV

slk · · Reno, NV · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 130
Ben Hicks wrote:Thanks for the opinion and pic. Do you have actual measurements please?
The gate openings are 25mm and 22mm respectively. Just eyeball it from there. Is it necessary to have exact measurements and why?

edit: the gate opening looks to be half the length of the biners so, you do the math.
mattm · · TX · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 1,885
Ben Hicks wrote:I emailed DMM days ago, no reply Anyone?
89.4mm vs 97.1mm so a whopping 7.7mm

The Spectre 2 is the better choice IMO
Ben Hicks wrote: Thank you, thank you!
WHY?????????? What's the reason?
Ben Hicks wrote:To compare.
Simply to compare? wow... if there is no reason for the comparison, then why? Why not just be happy knowing one is bigger than the other?

Just curious...

Hahahah... really dude?... weirdo post delete-or

SLK, I did not start the thread to discuss my motives.

It was a simple question with factual answer.

That's it.

Done

Ben Hicks wrote:SLK, I did not start the thread to discuss my motives. It was a simple question with factual answer. That's it. Done
Okay moody, I was just curious! Didn't realize the length of a biner could hold such mysterious motives.

That's it. Done.

OK Thanks!

mugsy · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2011 · Points: 0
mattm wrote: I prefer the Spectre 2s to the Phantom. The mini biners are too small for my mitts. Phantom nose isn't hooded either... YMMV
I agree with Matt. Although I find the Phantoms are one of the easiest biners in the world to clip, the lack of a hooded nose sucks. When racking a lot of gear [on Phantoms] all bunched up on a gear loop, it is easy to unclip one biner and also hook the gate next it, sending the cam next door plummeting to the ground. I have seen it happen twice.
This is also true with the Camp Photon wiregates.

The Spectre 2 carabiners are the best racking biners I have ever used, and I have tried nearly everything.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Size of DMM Phantom vs Spectre?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started