Mountain Project Logo

Android Beta Test Notes

Kevin Kent · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 1,541

Just installed build 11. Samsung Stratosphere, running android 2.3.5.

When reading a long page (e.g. a page with 60 comments on a route), flipping my phone sideways from landscape to portrait or vice versa takes me all the way back to the top of the page, which can be quite frustrating. My samsung stratosphere has a slide out keyboard and opening or closing it, while keeping the phone in landscape also does this.

Also it doesn't appear to be possible to zoom in on pictures that I've downloaded. I'm not sure if this is just me, but it seems like a bit of a waste to download photos in full resolution and not be able to zoom in, especially since most people only have 4ish inch screens.

Awesome app!

Christina kalb · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2008 · Points: 886

I'm not able to move the app to my SD card. When I go to settings, and then applications, and click on the mountain project app, move to SD card is grayed out. Is there another way to do this?

khoa · · Tacomarado · Joined Mar 2007 · Points: 53

Also force closing on my Droid 2, when deleting an area. Must be an issue for all phones from the sound of it.

Another UX suggestion for the "You and This Route" / ticking. Keep more of the items on one page (or the main route page) to minimize clicking and opening new windows.

Also can't delete from your To-do list. (this is only under Personal Page -> My Todos

Maybe under the Classic Routes for a general Area, have smaller text that says where it's located, like on the original MP page. Link to that area's page too would be cool.

Ability to PM users/view user profiles too maybe? This would probably be most useful to implement on the mobile forum page first

Joseph Stover · · Batesville, AR · Joined Dec 2005 · Points: 690

Just installed beta11. It is still stuck deleting 2 areas... probably have to wipe the app and reinstall...

steverett · · Boston, MA · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 105

Not sure if I should post this here, but I did not receive an email for build 11. I found it by using the link for build 09 and changing the number.

Martin le Roux · · Superior, CO · Joined Jul 2003 · Points: 401

Same issue as reported above - Force Close when trying to delete an area. This is build 11 on a Motorola Droid 3, Android ver 2.3.4. If I try to restart the application and access any area I'll either get a the message "an error occured while accessing the datastore" or another Force Close. Only solution is to uninstall and reinstall the app.

Requests for future versions:
Ability to install on mnt/sdcard-ext instead of mnt/sdcard (on many Motorola models the latter is actually internal storage)
Ability to download sub-areas (so that I don't to have to download all 60MB of Boulder area climbs if I just want info on Eldo's west ridge, say)
Ability to preview areas before downloading (e.g. a link to the web site)
Identify which of the thumbnail images are beta photos

JesseT · · Portland, OR · Joined May 2011 · Points: 100

I wasn't sure if I should post this here in the beta section, or in the app general section, but since I'm using the beta I figured it should go here:

This is minor, but when routes are listed with their star ratings it would be nice if there were empty stars. E.g. for a 3 star route, have 3 filled stars and one empty star.

Much more importantly, there should be sorting options. Quick, easy functions to sort the areas alphabetically or by state. Also, options to sort routes in an area by name, or by rating, or by difficulty with a single click would go a long way toward improving this app's usability.

Still can't delete areas. Starts deleting process then force closes.

My phone has been doing a lot of random reboots lately, normally only once a week or less... But lately once a day or more. Not sure if it's related, but mp it's the only app I've installed our updated in the past month... And my usage patterns haven't really changed.

Ryan C. · · Woodbury, MN · Joined Jun 2010 · Points: 10

Same issue with unable to delete area. After trying to delete an area and it fails to delete you can not open or redownload the area. Only way I found to fix this was to erase all application data in the MP app settings. At this point you have to redownload all areas.

Sprint evo 4g 2.3.5.

Kristen Rowe · · Salt Lake CIty, UT · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 65

contrary to a number of people on this forum I have had no issues with trying to delete an area. My phone is an LG myTouch 4G with build 11 installed. the deleting process is slow but I have not had it freeze my phone or give me a foce close window. The previous issue I posted about has been taken care of with this new build and I have found no other bugs, the app seems great to me.

Stefano Prezioso · · Superior, CO · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 135

When I have both data and wifi enabled and connected, the data downloads often fail, and when restarting the download by tapping, the app force closed. I'm on a Droid Incredible running CM7, Verizon.

Also, when viewing pictures, scrolling to the next picture often overscrolls and takes me two or three pictures over. I think it would be better with less sensitivity or no scroll through, just go one picture at a time.

Jason Halladay · · Los Alamos, NM · Joined Oct 2005 · Points: 15,153

I found on this route page for Nendo Dango that the app truncates text in and after an http URL that is followed by a MountainProject ID URL. To explain, in the first sentence of the description there's an http URL to a wikipedia page for "Las Conchas Fire". Later in the same sentence is a MP ID URL for a neighboring route. In a web browser this all looks fine but in the app, the description looks like this:

Established a little over a week prior to the devastating Chocolate Chicken Pot Pie

I'm using build 11 and haven't looked for other instances of this same situation so it may not be a widespread issue.

Emma Hanks · · Provo, UT · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 0

I LOVE IT! Such a great app, the only problem I've had is it doesn't transfer my tuck list or ratings to my account

steple · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2008 · Points: 816

First, I really like the look and feel of the app.

I played extensively with it and tried to break it. Downloading a bunch of areas at once, I got three states with no problems. When repeating this later with more areas, the database kinda got stuck though while deleting an area. It never finished. I had to delete all application data through google play store, then download it again.

I noticed that when extracting images, the kilobyte counter goes to about 110% of the max.

When I start an update from the Updates screen and it fails (for whatever reason), I can hit retry on the home screen, although the home screen does not offer downloading the update initially. Not sure if that is intended behavior.

And the feature I'm missing the most is the ability to rate routes. Stars and ticks are there, but rating? Please add that.

I can see though why I can't comment from the app (although something like a personal note for something like: "Add comment later to mention missing bolt." might be nice).

And if there was an option to disable the "Confirm Download" dialogs, that would be nice, too. Maybe a separate disable for wifi/data connection. Although that would require an options page, which the app doesn't have! Pretty cool that it gets away without it.

Mark Mueller · · Surprise, AZ · Joined Nov 2011 · Points: 185

errthang works great but as mentioned earlier my mobile ticks don't transfer.

pantech burst

D C · · Utah · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 4,364

One issue I see is that any new routes added to an area that was already downloaded is not available. There is also no way to 'update' an area that is already installed to include any new routes

michael faith · · Bellingham, WA · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 760
DCrane wrote:One issue I see is that any new routes added to an area that was already downloaded is not available. There is also no way to 'update' an area that is already installed to include any new routes
Got the same issue on my Galaxy Nexus running Android 4.0.2.
Andy Laakmann · · Bend, OR · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,990

Updates are repacked every 1-2 weeks I believe, thus in a few weeks you can manually update any area.

It would be an insane bandwidth expense if all the devices updated automatically!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

iPhone & Android App Feedback
Post a Reply to "Android Beta Test Notes"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started