Mountain Project Logo

Android Beta Test Notes

Original Post
Nick Wilder · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2005 · Points: 4,098

If you are beta testing the ANDROID mobile app, please put your comments here. At this point, we are mostly interested in functional problem or UI bugs. We are not planning to add any additional features before release.

This my help with installation: on your device, go to Settings, Applications, and check "Unknown Sources".

Known issue: some older phones cannot install the APK application file. We cannot help you with this problem (you may figure something out is you google "[your phone model] install APK"). This will not be an issue once the app is released via a proper App Store.

Thanks for your testing help!

Brian B Ballard · · Laramie, WY · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 245

Initial response is that it is looking sweet. The only major bug has been in the behavior of back key press. The return locations seem illogical and once I got a blank grey screen which recovered after another back key press.

This may be a future feature but it would be nice to have the page hierarchy be links to access higher level content.

Downloaded bunches of areas and no other problems.

Thanks
Brian

Motorola Razr
On Verizon

Caleb Cerling · · Boulder, CO · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 55

Awesome so far, easy install. I haven't had any issues with the back button. Is there a way to save the route data to the SD card instead of my phones internal memory?

Nick Wilder · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2005 · Points: 4,098
ccerling wrote:Awesome so far, easy install. I haven't had any issues with the back button. Is there a way to save the route data to the SD card instead of my phones internal memory?
If you go to your device Settings -> Applications -> Mountain Project, on that page there is a button that says "Move to SD Card".

Does that do what you want?

EDIT: That doesn't work. We will research this and make it possible on the next release. We think we know what to do, but if anyone is an expert about this particular issue, please PM me.
optikal Freeman · · SLC, UT · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 50

BUG

Scenario: Launched the app and went to Personal Page. Entered the first few characters of my email address, autocompleted the email and it placed a space, " ", after the email. After entering password and tapping Login an error appears, "An error occured while loggin in. Please Try again." (verbatim)

Removing the trailing space allowed me to login correctly. Technically not really a bug, but something you should probably trim off as many people will have their email address auto completed.

I don't know if it's just that my fingers are fat, but the hitbox for "Tap to see more" and "Tap to see less" seems too small. Almost every time I have to tap at it 3-4x before it responds.

Sam Vanderhyden · · Lyons, CO · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 15
optikal wrote:I don't know if it's just that my fingers are fat, but the hitbox for "Tap to see more" and "Tap to see less" seems too small. Almost every time I have to tap at it 3-4x before it responds.
This is not probably as clear as it should be, but you can tap anywhere in the white text view to make it expand or contract.
Sam Vanderhyden wrote: This is not probably as clear as it should be, but you can tap anywhere in the white text view to make it expand or contract.
Oh! haha, alright. That works much better :)

So far it seems to be pretty solid for the first day of beta! Downloaded every area in Utah and been browsing through every nook and cranny I can find. Pretty stoked about it!

I'm not experiencing any problems when pressing the back key once or multiple times as mentioned above.
DrApnea · · Wenatchee, WA · Joined May 2011 · Points: 265

same issue of it loading automatically to the phone and not the SD card with inability to move it to the SD card.

On the SDCARD storage issue, it would be most helpful if you can let the user choose the storage location path. With the motorolla razr the "sd-card" is secondary internal storage and the micro-sd is mounted at SDCARD-ext.

Remain awesome mp android developers..

TuRETZ · · Denver, co · Joined Sep 2009 · Points: 140

Is there anyway to break areas down a bit more. Specifically "Golden" its roughly a 15gig file. Is there a way you could just download clear creek, table mountain etc. Thanks for the opportunity to test it. Pretty freakin sweet!

TuRETZ · · Denver, co · Joined Sep 2009 · Points: 140
optikal wrote:I don't know if it's just that my fingers are fat, but the hitbox for "Tap to see more" and "Tap to see less" seems too small. Almost every time I have to tap at it 3-4x before it responds.
I noticed if you just click the text above it it works, kinda quirky though
Mark Mueller · · Surprise, AZ · Joined Nov 2011 · Points: 185

Think I tested the full functionality today. Downloaded areas and photos, added ticks and stars, browsed the forums and perused routes and beta all over. None of the above concerns affected the Pantech Burst for AT&T. Free first year for beta testers? :-)

Aron Quiter · · Oakland, CA · Joined Aug 2001 · Points: 5,140

I couldn't download it on my Atrix with Firefox, it seemed to just link me into the compiled source file. The regular droid OS download worked seamlessly.

steverett · · Boston, MA · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 105

Choosing a star rating for any route causes an error message that says "Unfortunately, Mountain Project has stopped." When I press OK, it goes back to the previous screen but seems to save the star rating.

Galaxy Nexus, 4.0.2

imgur.com/TguTB.png

Chris Rinaldo · · Boulder, CO · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 20

The install is not working on my Kindle Fire. The device is set to allow installation of applications from unknown sources, the file downloads without issue, prior to installation I am prompted to allow the app to modify/delete internal storage contents, have full internet access, & read Kindle state and identity. However, when I click install I am given an "Application Not Installed" dialogue box. Thoughts? This happened with both the AndroidBuild07.apk & AndroidBuild08.apk

Just got build 8. As i mentioned earlier the RAZR mounts internal storage at sdcard. Therefore mountian project data is still being stored on internal media albeit a decent sized chunk of flash. It would be nice if the user could define thier own location. I am not sure if this is as much of an issue on other devices.

Cheers

Austin Baird · · SLC, Utah · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 95

The only problem I'm running into is that I want to give you guys money now but can't!

Blake M · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2011 · Points: 1,874

Photos embedded in the description text don't seem to show up

For example none of the photos on this page are seen in the app mountainproject.com/v/north…

Here is what is seen in the app. (notice the caption w/out a photo)

Missing Photos (App bug)
Also just a though but why is "Select an area" at the bottom of the pages, it seems to me that it would be the most commonly used option and should therefor be closer to the top.

Edit: Also scrolling through photos in 'gallery' view is very sensitive it seems to usually go 2-3 photos at a time unless you are very careful.

Neil Wachowski · · Lander, WY · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 150

Looks and works great so far!

No problems yet on my Nexus One. One problem I encountered on the Xoom (4.04) is that "Sych My Stuff" produces "An error occured while synching. Please Try again." (May not be verbatim). It worked fine on my Nexus, even when I tried it right after it failed on the Xoom.

When viewing pictures of a route. (i.e. East face challenger -flatirons) when I try to to change orientation on any picture except the first, it changes to display either one picture earlier in the series or the first picture in the collection. Also instances of false closes when trying to confirm this behavior with spotty internet connection.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

iPhone & Android App Feedback
Post a Reply to "Android Beta Test Notes"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started