Mountain Project Logo

What type of camera do you use?

Original Post
Robert Fielding · · Thousand Oaks, CA · Joined May 2011 · Points: 195

Alright photography experts, what do ya'll recommend for a light/efficient camera specifically for climbing.

I currently have a nikon d70 w/ tokina 12-24 mm lens which takes amazing photographs, but just weighs to much, and I barely take it climbing anymore.

Any suggestions for a compact digital SLR or compact camera. I'm an amateur photographer, and have delved into the manual settings, but usually use aperture mode or automatic.

So far i've been looking at some of the Nikon CoolPix cameras. I've heard a lot of good things about the lumix lx5. Any suggestions?

Woodchuck ATC · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 3,280

I'm guessing many use whatever camera function is in their i-Phone these days and skip the real camera efforts of photography.

Victor K · · Denver, CO · Joined Jul 2003 · Points: 170

I use a Nikon Coolpix P500, which I believe has already been superseded. The crazy zoom range is way cool and it's pretty small for a compact DSLR. Full HD movies and short, lo-res 120 FPS slow-mo are fun too. The bad: it only takes JPEGs, no RAW format, so you're not going to win any photo contests with it. The quality is best on low ISO settings. I'm really happy with it, particularly given the price ($350 at the time of purchase).

fossana · · leeds, ut · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 13,318

I'm about to go back to one of the Fuji FinePix. I had an F200, which threw a lens control error in the middle of a big route (after ~2 years of heavy climbing use). I can no longer get that model so I bought an F80. I had switched to a Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5, which takes great photos but is cumbersome to operate with one hand. If you want some examples my profile has a link to my Picasa album. Photos taken between Oct 2009 and Nov 2011 were taken with my FinePix. Newer ones used the Lumix.

James Beissel · · Boulder, CO · Joined Aug 2004 · Points: 905

My light kit:

Canon S95 or S100
UltraPod
LensMate Filter Adapter
B+W 37mm Circular Polarizer

Sometimes I also use a Galen Rowell Graduated Neutral Density Filter. Even though the S95/S100 will write a RAW file, I shoot JPG most of the time.

These photos were all shot with the S95:

Lake Michigan

Sprague Lake Moose

Hallett Peak from Dream Lake

LIV Veraldi · · Lone Tree, CO · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 495

Lumix - the best.

Go Back to Super Topo · · Lex · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 285

m4/3 is the way to go if u want dslr features and, for the most part picture quality, in a smaller body with a large amount of lense options

Tim Zander · · Breckenridge, CO · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 30

I use Lumix GF1 with a 9-18mm lens(18-36 in 35mm lens lengths) and 40-150 lens. I love it, can do fully manual easily and is compact and light(compared to SLR).

I made a chest pouch that keeps it always ready yet protected and prevents it from swinging around like if I just had it hanging by the strap. I take it everywhere(climbing and skiing) and it just goes with me.

Love it

PS, very nice shots James! Do you have the 'A' size galen rowell filter? That's my next addition to my kit after many of my alpenglow or sunset pics turn out too dark in the shadows.

Nick Stayner · · Wymont Kingdom · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 2,315

This is a cool thread. Has anyone ever shot ski action photos with the Canon S95 or S100 or G series?

Tim Zander · · Breckenridge, CO · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 30
Nick Stayner wrote:This is a cool thread. Has anyone ever shot ski action photos with the Canon S95 or S100 or G series?
Not from a P+S, but here's ski pics with the GF1

tetongravity.com/forums/sho…
Tim Stich · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,520

Whatever you do, get a camera that can accept a UV filter.

John MI · · Boulder, CO · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 55

Olympus XZ-1. It is basically an ultra high end point and shoot. Not cheap, but small and takes incredible pictures. I have one and absolutely love it.

James Beissel · · Boulder, CO · Joined Aug 2004 · Points: 905

Tim,

My grads are "P" size since I also use them on 35mm and large format. If you are shooting digital and don't have a grad (or even if you do) bracketing and then blending exposures is an option to deal with sunrises, sunsets, and other high contrast scenes.

thomas ellis · · abq · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 2,615

Lumix. Best bang per shot.

Forthright · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 110

For shooting while you are actual climbing the Canon G series and the S series KICK ASS. The G has some more features than the S (it's basically a DSLR in a P&S package).

I wish I had the $ to pick up a G series but alas if I want to take shots it's either iPhone or lugging my 1D mkII + L glass. not so light and fast :/

Morgan Patterson · · NH · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 8,960
C Blank wrote:For shooting while you are actual climbing the Canon G series and the S series KICK ASS. The G has some more features than the S (it's basically a DSLR in a P&S package). I wish I had the $ to pick up a G series but alas if I want to take shots it's either iPhone or lugging my 1D mkII + L glass. not so light and fast :/
I have a G10... it shoots AMAZING photos considering it's size. Best part is it basically can go anywhere and take pro style photos.
stredna · · PA · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 135

the Cannon g11 does it all! although i believe the g12 came out just recently (or in another week or two) and will record 1080.

Tim Stich · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,520

If you're like me and just have an unfiltered point and shoot (Canon Elph HS 300), you can remove haze later if you have Photoshop or a good image editing program.

Removing UV haze.

michaeltarne · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 120

^UV filters don't really do much for digital. And if you want a small camera, the S series are probably the best, as mentioned.

Brendan N · · Salt Lake City, Utah · Joined Oct 2006 · Points: 405

I have an LX5 and like it a lot. It has a fun macro function, shoots raw and has an f/2 lens at 24mm. My iPhone 4s gets the shot most of time, and they look amazing for a phone.
I just got a Sony NEX-7 and the shots around the office are amazing, more testing soon.

Scotty W · · Ladera Ranch, CA · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 5

I shot with a Canon G10. It's a little more heavy then a standard point and shoot, but it's rugged metal body has helped it survey more then a few falls and drops.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "What type of camera do you use?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started