Mountain Project Logo

Tricam Stinger - Not what you think it is.....

Original Post
kilonot · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 0

Whenever I see people talk about tricams, it seems people always refer to the fulcrum as the 'stinger'. Without knowing anything else, it makes sense, which I suppose is why it's so common. That said, the manufacturer refers to the 'stingers' as the pointed side of the rails on the side the sling is connected to.

Reference -

Why Tricams Still Rule.pdf (See Page 5 Diagram)

Another spec pdf

Kip Kasper · · Bozeman, MT · Joined Feb 2010 · Points: 200

sweet dude.

cms829 · · NJ · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 90

Im not 100% sure that was always the case though. Maybe my eyes played trick on me but all the lit that ever cam with any tricam i purchased, it always called whats now called the fulcrum point, the stinger...singular, not plural. maybe this is some silly game theyre playing...or a trick...maybe its a trick. F the man!

Matt Kuehl · · Las Vegas · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 1,712

Pretty cool little write up about Tricams. I've placed the big #7 on a off width not too long ago and it was super bomber. Hard to place if you don''t have a good stance though because it took me two hands.

Has anyone actually rigged up Figure G and Figure A while leading? Seems like a lot of work, but I guess if you're willing to take the time it seems solid to keep your piece from falling out if you're high above it.

And that'll be the day when I see Test A. I haven't seen a lot of mixed climbers racking up with huge tricams.

Thanks for sharing.

Allen Corneau · · Houston, TX · Joined May 2008 · Points: 80
Matt Kuehl wrote:Pretty cool little write up about Tricams. I've placed the big #7 on a off width not too long ago and it was super bomber. Hard to place if you don''t have a good stance though because it took me two hands. Has anyone actually rigged up Figure G and Figure A while leading? Seems like a lot of work, but I guess if you're willing to take the time it seems solid to keep your piece from falling out if you're high above it. And that'll be the day when I see Test A. I haven't seen a lot of mixed climbers racking up with huge tricams. Thanks for sharing.
I usually take my #5, #6 and #7 with me where ever I'm headed (except sport-only areas, of course) and use them quite frequently. No problem placing them with one hand either.
Aric Datesman · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2008 · Points: 145
Matt Kuehl wrote:Has anyone actually rigged up Figure G and Figure A while leading? Seems like a lot of work, but I guess if you're willing to take the time it seems solid to keep your piece from falling out if you're high above it.
Figure A is simply using it as a nut, so why would that be a surprising way to use on lead? Quick and easy, and I do it all the time. Have done Figure G as well in a shallow, slightly flaring crack that opposing nuts wouldn't hold in.

What I'm curious about is why the article didn't mention stacking the 5/6/7.... I've never _needed_ to do it, but it amuses the hell out of me so have done it on a couple occasions.
Leeroy · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 0
Aric Datesman wrote: ...stacking the 5/6/7.... I've never _needed_ to do it, but it amuses the hell out of me so have done it on a couple occasions.
Don't own these larger sizes so I'm having some trouble envisioning how you could stack them? Care to elaborate?
J Roatch · · Leavenworth, WA · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 162

Cool links, sweet stuff. I've always had people tell me that the "stinger" is the fulcrum point. Makes sense, will share.

Woodchuck ATC · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 3,280

It is the fulcrum point. In the big size 7 it's kinda easy to look at that monster piece and picture it as a scorpion, with that tail stinger raised up over the rest of the body.

MojoMonkey · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2009 · Points: 66
Leeroy Jenkins wrote: Don't own these larger sizes so I'm having some trouble envisioning how you could stack them? Care to elaborate?
Look under stacking in this pamphlet

Stacking! Haven't even thought of that trick for many a year. Think it required that the cams be of next size to do so, and only works with the larger ones that have open space to insert. Can't read that small print pamphlet link.

Yup, the only combinations are 5/6, 6/7 and the super-glorious 5/6/7 behemoth. Not confidence inspiring, but amusing as hell to leave for the second. And much lighter than a cam if you don't think you'll need something that big but aren't entirely certain.

Snipped from the above pamphlet:

tricam stack

...and after that stacking is completed, you get baby tri-cams in 9 months.

Got the visual from an old W.C. Fields sketch where he stored 2 big bass fiddles standing up together in a corner of a room. Later he picks one up and a bunch of small violins all fall out of it. Funny in the 1930's and still funny today.

MegaGaper2000 James · · Indianola, Wa · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 20
Woodchuck ATC wrote:...and after that stacking is completed, you get baby tri-cams in 9 months.
Shoooooot. That's some funny business.

In the PDF (top one) it's ineresting that in figures G and H they recommend opposing placements using a 'bungy loop'.

I do not know what a bungy loop is. Is it just a piece of bungy cord, in a loop?
MegaGaper2000 wrote: I do not know what a bungy loop is. Is it just a piece of bungy cord, in a loop?
Yup, and the thin 3mm stuff from REI works fine to keep a bit of tension on it and is low bulk. I don't know anyone who carries any but me though, and I only do it because I use it on occasion rope soloing (keep the anchor tensioned upwards and to support the weight of the rope towards the end of the pitch) and forget to take it off the rack. Oh, and a rubber band would work in a pinch but isn't as durable and doesn't slide as easily.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Tricam Stinger - Not what you think it is....."

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started