Mountain Project Logo

The 2011-12 Colorado Ice Conditions Thread

S Denny · · Aspen, CO · Joined Sep 2008 · Points: 20

take 133 south of carbondale for ~10 miles til the canyon around the road gets it's narrowest. park on the left, cross the road, approach is prolly 6 mins. if you hit the redstone campground you've gone too far. PM me if you need more info

funkyicemonkey · · Colorado · Joined Nov 2011 · Points: 0

Went back to Drool in Redstone, the Drool has a two inch fracture running from the right about 1/3rd ten foot under the "rest" half way up. Still OK and great fun, but degrading fast. By the way if anyone heads up there I replaced the belay on the right by moving it back one tree and replaced the sun bleached (and actually quite weak) old tat with new red webbing... Please bring up a sharpie and mark the webbing tail with "Feb 12". I left my sharpie in the car - Doh!

Ryan N · · Bellingham, WA · Joined May 2009 · Points: 195

Thanks guys!

funkyicemonkey · · Colorado · Joined Nov 2011 · Points: 0

+1 on the Designator, all beat up. Centre line lots of fun though - developing a fracture at 2/3rd height.

Pine Sap · · Estes Park, CO · Joined Feb 2007 · Points: 7,190

Jaws RMNP - Photo 3/3/12

Jaws - 3/3/12.

perropirana Santibanez · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2008 · Points: 25

Anyone...conditions in Ouray/Silverton fro next weekend?
Thanks,
L.

Noah McKelvin · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 1,500
perropirana wrote:Anyone...conditions in Ouray/Silverton fro next weekend? Thanks, L.
Fat with scary snow conditions.
Jonathan White · · highlands ranch, co · Joined Aug 2005 · Points: 105

Climbed Vail 03/04, Seventh Tentacle is in good shape. RD looks pretty picked out. Spiral Stair Case it really picked out, however the left side near Secret Probation is steep and not to hooked out yet.

The fang shroom is huge!

Ryan N · · Bellingham, WA · Joined May 2009 · Points: 195

Any recent beta on lambs slide/kieners? Anyone done this before with just some general beta? A car to car average would be really helpful?

Leo Paik · · Westminster, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 22,815

FWIW, Hidden Falls at RMNP is changing a bit. The left side seems to be melting out a bit, the water has switched to the right side, but it sprays the middle of the flow, and the pillar to the right is really hooked out, making it harder to find ice to place screws.

Also, the S. St. Vrain flow is about as fat as it's been per a friend who drives by weekly.

On 3/9/12, it took medium screws on the lower bit and the steeper bit below the rap tree. The ice in the middle and above the tree was stubby terrain.

Jon E · · Longmont, CO · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 96

Did some climbing on the SE Face of flattop and got some good shots of Hallett Chimney and Dragontails. Hallett appears to be in great shape as well as the Dragontails.

Hallett Chimney.

Dragon's Tail.

JonW · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 0
Leo Paik wrote:FWIW, Hidden Falls at RMNP is changing a bit. The left side seems to be melting out a bit, the water has switched to the right side, but it sprays the middle of the flow, and the pillar to the right is really hooked out, making it harder to find ice to place screws.
I have a few friends in town who are looking to climb some ice. Any idea what to expect later in the week at Hidden Falls? Will there still be some ice to climb? I imagine, based on these temperatures, it'll be quite wet.
raoul · · Boulder, CO · Joined Nov 2011 · Points: 0

hidden falls was fat as off last thursday, bring rock gear too, moderate mix on the left

ToZion · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 0

Hello, looking for conditions in Vail/Silverthorn as well as RMNP for this weekend. Flying in from Nashville, TN, if there is any ice.

Any help would be appreciated!

Tom Willard · · Avon, CO · Joined Jan 2005 · Points: 165

Hidden Falls Update; Conditions are very warm, but the main falls is hugh so it should be around for a while; The Dangler on the other hand is about done dangling!

The Dangler.

Hidden Falls Left.

ToZion · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 0

Thanks Dave and Tom! We are here now having a great time!

raoul · · Boulder, CO · Joined Nov 2011 · Points: 0

i'm thinking with the succession of warm days and cold nights and no new snow for quite a while, skywalker might be safe to climb and ski already. at least early in the day. but i wouldn't mind hearing what others might think about that

JonW · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 0

Climbed Martha Thursday, 3/15 and was surprised by the shape of the climb. No ice, mostly snow and the crux sections are entirely rock. The descent down the east slopes was completely dry.

Jason Killgore · · boulder, co · Joined Sep 2008 · Points: 165
eric bianciotto wrote:i'm thinking with the succession of warm days and cold nights and no new snow for quite a while, skywalker might be safe to climb and ski already. at least early in the day. but i wouldn't mind hearing what others might think about that
heard 2nd hand it wasnt even filled in through the choke. It definitely is seeming pretty solid though on S. aspects in the front range.
Scott M. McNamara · · Presidio San Augustine Del… · Joined Aug 2006 · Points: 55
Ouray Ice Park

I do not believe Ouray Ice Park is closing on Wednesday, March 21, 2012---as a poster upstream mentioned.

I am here now.

I believe they are shooting for the end of the month---March 2012.

Some lines that take a great deal of sun are closed.

The big areas are still mostly open. The ice seems quite nice, albeit a bit beat out.

I do not think they are spraying water at night any more (Monday, March 19, 2012), but the big freeze/thaw cyle seems to be working even better---less califlower.

The "conditions page" is useful: ourayicepark.com/travel-pla…

Have fun.

Scott Mc
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "The 2011-12 Colorado Ice Conditions Thread"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started