Mountain Project Logo

New UAF Ice Wall!

Original Post
SFClimber · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2008 · Points: 5

Grand opening of the UAF ice climbing wall! Complete with free rental gear and hot drinks in the warming hut. (First university in the country with an ice wall?)

University of Alaska Fairbanks Outdoor Ice Wall

Woodchuck ATC · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 3,280

I'm not a local, so please define what/where is UAF. What state, city? Is it open to public or only those with a university ID or enrolled?

Thomas G. · · SLC, UT · Joined Feb 2010 · Points: 195
Woodchuck ATC wrote:I'm not a local, so please define what/where is UAF. What state, city? Is it open to public or only those with a university ID or enrolled?
University of Alaska, Fairbanks.

I got all excited too, until I realized that, well, it's in Alaska. Also, according to this news blurb, it's only available to students.

newsminer.com/view/full_sto…

UAF is University of Alaska, Fairbanks.

Carl Sherven · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 210

Now that is a sweet wall, especially being on a college campus.

Woodchuck ATC · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 3,280

I was picturing some nice new frozen indoor facility in the mid-states. Imagine this is actually natural ice outdoors? Still looks pretty cool for climbing.

Yeah, this is actual outdoor ice on a 4-sided climbing platform. In summer months I think there will be regular (non-ice) climbing. However, here in Fairbanks the ice season is from Oct to April or longer...

David Hertel · · Haines, Alaska · Joined Oct 2008 · Points: 785
SFClimber wrote:Yeah, this is actual outdoor ice on a 4-sided climbing platform. In summer months I think there will be regular (non-ice) climbing. However, here in Fairbanks the ice season is from Oct to April or longer...
I live in Talkeetna and am not a sudent at UAf. Do you know if they will be opening this wall to the public after this weekend? It would be fun to hit it up when I do get up that way.
Cheers
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Ice Climbing
Post a Reply to "New UAF Ice Wall!"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started