Mountain Project Logo

I painted your anchors.

Original Post
mcarizona · · Flag · Joined Feb 2007 · Points: 180
lets preserve it

Pretty neat day out there. Thanks for the routes. The reason I wanted to camouflage those screwgates was to minimalize scrutiny that climbers may be trashing the area. Sorry for the overspray, that was my first taggin job. There are ruins there so we need to be low key: avoid the ancient rock piles and petroglyphs, pack out trash that isn’t even ours, don’t hot rod the road, and close the gate when we leave. That should be easy enough.

Steve
Brian in SLC · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Oct 2003 · Points: 21,746

Instead of spray paint, another option is to go to a hobby shop and get some of those little bottles of enamel paint and a few paint brushes. Small, easy to apply, and, no over spray.

ClimbPHX.com · · Mesa AZ · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 1,135

I recommend finger nail polish. With delicate strokes. :)

M Mobley · · Bar Harbor, ME · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 911

as someone 2000 miles away with unpainted bolts on a route I can say I'd be bummed if I just went out and bought the supplies, took the day off of work and went to go paint only to find someone had done it already AND over sprayed on the rock.I'd post BEFORE next time, who knows though, maybe the person that spent multiple days and $$$ on the area is psyched...

fat cow · · St. Paul, MN · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 10

You get psyched about painting anchors? Defininately sucks about the over spraying, but sounds like it would free your day up to climbing some routes. It's not like that money would be wasted, as you can always update some anchors and will probably use the supplies in the future. But then again taking pride in your handiwork is something I'm familiar with, so it makes sense wanting to complete it.

Umph! · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2004 · Points: 180
mcarizona wrote: There are ruins there so we need to be low key: avoid the ancient rock piles and petroglyphs, pack out trash that isn’t even ours, don’t hot rod the road, and close the gate when we leave. . . . Steve
That's a good, considerate list. I'm going to use that list myself, but I think I'll add, "don't spray paint the rocks".

There, I think that finishes it nicely!
BackCountry Sortor · · Ogden, UT · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 400

Next time take the hangers and nuts and have them powder coated. You may have to pay special attention to the threads of the nuts... do your best.

1Eric Rhicard · · Tucson · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 10,126

Next time I am sure you will do a better job. Thanks.

A little bit of over spray is not a big deal. To you gripers. The paint is there to hide the bolts so you can keep going out there and whinning about the over spray. Those of you complaining should remember that you and your buddys feet have more impact. If the FA didn't take the time (5 min at most) to paint them before heading out then I see no reason to contact him/her. Hide them if you are concerned about access.

If you take a piece of cardboard and use it to protect from over spray you will get no heat from the crowd.

mcarizona · · Flag · Joined Feb 2007 · Points: 180

Eric thanks for that. I was starting to get a little beat up there. So I used my lunch bag. I was up there on the edge with yellow alien in the crack and kinda ripped the bag to get around the screwgates and bolts. There is minimal overspray, on the rock, mostly on the knuckles. I almost want to go get a picture of it to quell the bitchin'... its not like there are two painted bolts and a water tower testament like 'love anna'..sheesh. I was thinking a bigger issue was that someone might use the rocks around the ruins for a firering or grid bolt or something, not the small speckles near the anchor. I'm not much of a painter anyway. Once I was camouflaging a hanger with the brush method mentioned above and got the shit all over my windstopper jacket. Cant really win I guess. HA!

Red · · Tacoma, Toyota · Joined Sep 2008 · Points: 1,625

David Sahalie,
I think it's so funny how you make fun of Arizonans on this site! Not only does this make you feel better about yourself, it also makes you look self-righteous to others reading your comments. You're doing a fine job working towards the "most negative MP user" crown. Keep up the negativity!

ryan dillon · · Tucson, AZ. · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 325
David Sahalie wrote:if painting bolts takes this much discussion and pontification in AZ, I am truly beginning to question how well the bolts have been placed. AZ is truly a 'special' place.
You sir are a moron. OP is putting it out there that he did a community deed and over sprayed a little. No big deal. But then all the comments come from people who are never even gonna see this rock, um possibly like yourself. Just an observation that you might what to shut your mouth if you can't keep up with a conversation. Have a great day. And good looking out mcarizona. Thanks
Johny Q · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 35
ryan dillon wrote: You sir are a moron. OP is putting it out there that he did a community deed and over sprayed a little. No big deal. But then all the comments come from people who are never even gonna see this rock, um possibly like yourself. Just an observation that you might what to shut your mouth if you can't keep up with a conversation. Have a great day. And good looking out mcarizona. Thanks
I would think that the moron is the one who thought that his spray need a seperate thread, the mormon is the one who was sighted for tresspassing, and the mortine is simply insecticide that I spray on the cockroaches.
S Denny · · Aspen, CO · Joined Sep 2008 · Points: 20
David Sahalie wrote:AZ is frickin weird.
based only on what is said on MP. I have to agree.
Jimbo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 1,310

+1 Red.

Brigette Beasley · · Monroe, WA · Joined Sep 2008 · Points: 275
Red wrote:David Sahalie, I think it's so funny how you make fun of Arizonans on this site! Not only does this make you feel better about yourself, it also makes you look self-righteous to others reading your comments. You're doing a fine job working towards the "most negative MP user" crown. Keep up the negativity!
+1
Tim Stich · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,520

Q: What is "stomp?"

Thnx
bye

DFrench · · Cape Ann · Joined Apr 2007 · Points: 465

You should ask Ellenor, I hear she has a BIG one.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Arizona & New Mexico
Post a Reply to "I painted your anchors."

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started