Mountain Project Logo

surfing and wave sailing

trundlebum · · Las Vegas NV · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 85

Kirra:
Cool footage, nice find TFPU.

Hey when you gunna get out to Vegas and do some climbing with me?

DaveF Farkas · · Durango, CO · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 20

I'm thinking of going to Sri Lanka to surf this July. Anyone been there? Any beta?

Olaf Mitchell · · Paia, Maui, Hi, · Joined Mar 2007 · Points: 4,190
kirra wrote: wow like being in there w/o getting wet ~ ~ ~ Olaf thanks for sharin' Hau‘oli Makahiki Hou!
Hi Kirra, Great to here from you on this thread and pleased you appreciate it. Plan another Maui trip some time. K?

I surfed Noriega's today on this new and still rising swell. I got one substantial wave that took me all the way into the channel area Only problem was the set behind the wave that I got was just mean and closed the entire channel. I took a pretty sever pounding and thought that my leash might snap several times as I paddled back outside. It was a fun session with only this one French guy on a Sup that was getting worked every bit as hard as me. After that episode I was pretty much pau surf for the day. There was a lot of water moving out there today. Frankly, I was about my comfort level most of the sesh.

I was blessed with another glassy double overhead plus session yesterday morning. It's amazing to me but I am not complaining that Hookipa was packed and where I was there was only a hand full of us out.
Due to the size I was being very cautious and barley slipped over several of the bigger sets. I was in heaven with sea turtles playing around me while whales breached off in the distance with great clean waves and not a breath of wind on them.
That is about to change tomorrow when the trade winds return and a new N/W swell arrives. This swell is predicted to hit "High Surf Warning" levels early next week. So it's Game On around here

Rumor is that conditions are favorable so they are going to start the Pipeline contest today.

volcompipepro.com/

All indicators say that today is lining up to be a great wave sailing day here on the north shore of Maui and I had better go get my work done so I can get back here to the beach!

Pat Caldwell Wave Guru for the National Weather Service said " HIGH SURF ADVISORY FOR NORTH AND WEST FACING SHORES

Surf along north facing shores will be 5 to 8 feet tonight and will build to 15 to 20 feet Saturday morning.

Surf along west facing shores will be 3 to 5 feet tonight and will build to 8 to 12 feet Saturday morning.

Surf along east facing shores will be 3 to 5 feet through Saturday.

Surf along south facing shores will be 2 to 4 feet through Saturday.

Outlook through Thursday Feb 2: a large incoming northwest swell Saturday morning will lower below advisory levels around midday Sunday. Another large, longer period northwest swell will arrive Monday and boost surf to near warning levels Monday afternoon through Tuesday morning.

Surf heights are forecast heights of the face or front of waves. The surf forecast is based on the significant wave height, the average height of the one third largest waves, in the zone of maximum refraction. Some waves may be more than twice as high as the significant wave height. Expect to encounter rip currents in or near any surf zone.

I checked the surf at 9:00 am and it showed all indications of being a classic wave sailing day here on the north shore. I went to work and got out of there in plenty of time to get a session in but when I got back home to the beach it was so big and closing out I just sat and watched two friends of mine try and punch out through the wall of foam. It took Tom and Victor 45 min to make it out side and neither of them actually got a wave. This swell really came up fast and gnarly. I am going to try the same thing today hopefully it will have dropped some by the time I get back from work this afternoon.
vimeo.com/35825606
Whitewash & Wipeouts – Big Jump Up Swell Forces Day 1 Call Off At Volcom Pipe Pro [3:03]

Day 1 of the Volcom Pipe Pro got under way yesterday [28th] but the expected 8ft swell decided to mutate into something much larger – by the end of the day 15-20ft sets were washing through. The contest was called off as the surf was deemed to large and after Stephen Koehne speared his leg with his board it was clear that things were getting out of hand pretty quickly. The rounds that ran saw some heavy wipeouts, skip to 2:19 to see Morgan Faulkner’s fall onto the flats, not the thing you want to be doing when Pipes’ getting to that sort of size. Contest directors are hoping to re start the contest this morning but it depends whether the swell has dropped off enough over night.

The northwest swell activity will continue pounding the north shore and it will be coming up into the very larger realms Monday into Tuesday – into the high surf warning levels…gradually lowering through the rest of the work week. Largest surf Monday along those best aligned beaches will reach 7'-12'(Hawaiian)14'-25+'faces.

Christian RodaoBack · · Tucson, AZ · Joined Jul 2005 · Points: 1,486

Christan, Thanks for the link and I will try to catch some of the action on Wednesday. The report is that we have another substantial
(warning level) swell marching this way.
I went out to Peahi today but the swell had dropped off alot. It was still fun and relaxing to hang out at the camera station that I built when we were filming "The World Cup Of Tow In Surfing" That footage was later released as the Jaws chapter of the "Billabong Odyssey". The waves were perfect for a hand full of kiters and windsurfers to express themselves.

While at Jaws yesterday a really nice Dutch fellow named Arnold scaled down the cliff and sat down to watch with us. He pulled this really nice Nicon with telephoto lens and started shooting. I gave him my card and asked if he would pass along a few images that I could share on my on line magazine( mauioceansports.blogspot.com/). I hope he dose. In the mean time hear's a few images by Eric Aeder of the same day.
erikaeder.com/peahi-paddle-…

Comp's on again today, looks smaller but cleaner..a little high tide still..Damn I wish I could surf Pipe w 3 other guys out lol

Bruce Irons surfing next

PS Wow the final was friggin' amazing!

You are absolutely right Christian great final Yeah John John!
click on the highlighted link below not the image for the exciting final waves and interviews with John John and Jamie

youtube.com/watch?feature=p…
Congratulations to home town boy Kai Barger for his third place finish
For more coverage of the event follow the link below
surf.transworld.net/1000142…

Jon OBrien · · Nevada · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 917

i spent last summer dragging my 6 ft. board around the creeks of the eastern sierra getting tossed hard onto river rocks in 12'' deep water on my off days... strangely awesome!

Jon, That is super radical! It also sounds painful!! Tell me more about it.

North shores – The mid-winter swell activity will continue, rising Friday, gradually lowering through the weekend…with yet another very large northwest swell arriving late Sunday into early next week – with a very large northwest swell slated to arrive late next Tuesday into Wednesday.
dailysurfvideos.com/videos/…

Lol that Transworld footage show something I didn't see on the live show: how badly JOB was hassling John John in the last few seconds so he wouldn't get a left, so instead a perfect right comes for JJ..poetic justice..

Congratulations to my neighbor Kai Barger on his 3rd place finish in the Pipeline competition this week!
youtube.com/watch?v=_PWVlKW…

Olaf said:"The ART OF ART! I watched this entire session, ART is the KUAU MASTER!"

Frank Sabb said "Had you been there to see the show, it would have been clear to you that Art was in complete control of the situation. He made it look like a walk in the park. He went out and came back in to the inside about ten times, making it out each time without taking a single hit. His hair was dry."

Please check out the latest post on our online magazine Maui Windsurfing.
This is a video by Jake Miller of some of my friends and neighbors on a substantial day this month. I think you will enjoy it!
mauiwindsurfing.blogspot.com/

North shores – The mid-winter swell activity will continue, with the active surf conditions into early next week. The largest surf this week will occur Thursday into Friday, then gradually lowering through the weekend. A new northwest swell will arrive right after the weekend. The trades will strengthen Thursday, making for choppy and wind blown conditions through the rest of this week…then lighter from the southeast early next week in time for that next swell.

The largest surf along the north shores will reach near 9-12 feet {Hawaiian}18-25 feet on the face Thursday

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Other Sports
Post a Reply to "surfing and wave sailing"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started