Mountain Project Logo

Creede, CO

Original Post
Ben Sachs · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Oct 2008 · Points: 1,497

Anyone know anything about this small town in the San Juans? Can't find much beta but looks like a cool area. Anyone have experiance with either the town itself, or the recreation near it?

Creede downtown

matt davies · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2007 · Points: 25

It is where the coward Robert Ford was gunned down by Edward O'Kelley.

Ryan Marsters · · Golden, CO · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 1,431

It's a cool little "mining" town that isn't too touristy - plenty of decent restaurants and a good gear shop. Head up the canyon in the photo; there are some awesome mine buildings and classic San Juan scenery. It is called the Bachelor Historic Tour or something like that. Drive yourself; free; 4wd or high clearance recommended. Also, you can access numerous cool peaks (San Luis, unnamed 13ers), Wheeler Geologic Area, and the Silver Thread Scenic Byway (head to Horsethief Falls, Lake City, and numerous 4wd trails/lakes/peaks/whatever).

I don't know about the climbing, but most of the rock around there is pretty crappy.

Also, just a warning and I'm only half kidding, but the Texans invade the San Juans during the summer. Makes for good BBQ stops at least.

Some pics in this album

Jeremy Espinoza · · Denver, CO · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 80

Last time I was there I was passing through while hiking the CO Trail. Hitch hiking is slow around there, so long story short I slept on the ground in a small trailer park by a guy's trailer who I met at the bar. The neighbor kept yelling, cursing, and racking a gun in his trailor... Nice town though.

+1 for the Texans and the BBQ

AndyMac · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 1,123

As said Creede has a lot of hiking and 4X4 type outdoor recreation. There's some ice there in the winter, some in and around the canyon pictured and out at Clear Creek Falls. Lake City is about an hour away. For rock, Penitente and the other SLV stuff is great and some stuff is nearer to Creede. As far as the town, it has culture, and enough stores, and a nice local community. I don't know what your reason is for asking, but to visit it should be great and to live, you better be ready for SMALL town life with a little bit of isolation (Safeway is 50mi and that devil wal-mart(don't go there) is 65mi away).

Monomaniac · · Morrison, CO · Joined Oct 2006 · Points: 17,295
Ryan Marsters wrote:Some pics in this album
Where is the Gaudi-esque church-type-thing located?
kboofis · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2011 · Points: 20

I lived in Creede while working for the forest service last summer as a backcountry ranger. Saw a lot of the area. Real cool. Unfortunately most of the rock around it is very chossy so no real good rock climbing but a lot of ice around. And beautiful hiking

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Creede, CO"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started