Mountain Project Logo

Splitting Arizona?

Hendrixson · · Littleton, CO · Joined Sep 2007 · Points: 3,290

Thank you for removing those areas.

John Rivers · · Flagstaff · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 0

If Jack's Canyon is in Northern Arizona, shouldnt Payson then be considered Northern? Isolation Canyon, West Clear Creek, and Blue Ridge all seem like Northern destinations to me and they are all above/right on the Mogollon Rim (along with Sedona and Oak Creek)...

As far as Preskit goes, I think that could go either way... sure the climate is more simliar to a Northern Crag and travel time is the same from phx or from flg, but its way below the mogollon rim...

Johny Q · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 35
JSchultz wrote:I have another suggestion which (I believe) would be much more appreciated by the MP community. I propose that you institute the following policy: If somebody is obviously being a troll (see posts from Nippleit and Ki Dickarus), and three or more of the other users involved in that particular forum report their trolling- then that username gets deleted (along with their nasty posts), and the troll has to make a new account. Eventually that troll would get tired of having to open new accounts and stop being a provocative a-hole. In other words- on MP people do not have the right to free speech when it entails being a useless moron. Just an idea...
If you didn't call the kid a dick in your whiney tirade you would have much more room to stand on. After some upstanding name-calling like this I can see no reason why your rights should trump that of the kid. Your comments were off topic and have nothing to do with splitting the AZ page (troll). Your comments were inflammatory, mean spirited, judgmental, and designed to illicit emotion, the very definition of what makes you a troll.

How about instead of trying to control other people's behavior you begin by learning how to control your emotions.

Do you really thing there are not two people out there who think you are a useless moron? Where does it end? I have seen people make comments about the lunacy of Arizona about once a week. Shall we ban AZ all together? Slippery slope friend. I prefer my freedom to your hogwash equality.
Brigette Beasley · · Monroe, WA · Joined Sep 2008 · Points: 275
Andrew Ryder wrote:Maybe use the Gila River as the south/central divide, and the Rim as the central/north divide? Using I-40 as a divider would split the Flag area crags in two.

...and Tucson is not South of I10.
Ben Beard · · Superior, AZ · Joined Jun 2009 · Points: 215
new AZ splits?

what about this? I'm sure we could argue about exact boundaries and names...
Kid Icarus · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 15
Johny Q wrote: If you didn't call the kid a dick in your whiney tirade you would have much more room to stand on. After some upstanding name-calling like this I can see no reason why your rights should trump that of the kid. Your comments were off topic and have nothing to do with splitting the AZ page (troll). Your comments were inflammatory, mean spirited, judgmental, and designed to illicit emotion, the very definition of what makes you a troll. How about instead of trying to control other people's behavior you begin by learning how to control your emotions. Do you really thing there are not two people out there who think you are a useless moron? Where does it end? I have seen people make comments about the lunacy of Arizona about once a week. Shall we ban AZ all together? Slippery slope friend. I prefer my freedom to your hogwash equality.
Uh... Howdy, y'all!

I didn't know you had a soft spot for me Johnny. Dude's point is about as non sequitor as they get. I may flag him.

Yes, I am an avowed troll who somehow still manages to troll even when he isn't trolling. How awesome is that?

ON TOPIC: I am glad to see this issue isn't splitting the desert state in twain. North and South makes sense for AZ as they are wildly different areas, united only by their hatred of Phoenix.
Kid Icarus wrote: Uh... Howdy, y'all! I didn't know you had a soft spot for me Johnny. Dude's point is about as non sequitor as they get. I may flag him. Yes, I am an avowed troll who somehow still manages to troll even when he isn't trolling. How awesome is that? ON TOPIC: I am glad to see this issue isn't splitting the desert state in twain. North and South makes sense for AZ as they are wildly different areas, united only by their hatred of Phoenix.
Soft spot for you? Hell no. You probably are just like your detractors describe: a moronic youth obsessed with his own self importance who outside of this internet forum is simply an insecure noob. I just have a problems with this AZ wankster trying to get all totalitarian in this bitch. You can suck the beanie you wear while shirtless and dragging your knuckles on the ground.

ON TOPIC:

Why the hell are New Mexico and Arizona on the same page?

Kid Icarus · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 15
Johny Q wrote: Soft spot for you? Hell no. You probably are just like your detractors describe: a moronic youth obsessed with his own self importance who outside of this internet forum is simply an insecure noob. I just have a problems with this AZ wankster trying to get all totalitarian in this bitch. You can suck the beanie you wear while shirtless and dragging your knuckles on the ground.
Maybe you have a hard spot for me, then?

Yes: Troll, n00b, impotent, insecure, ripped, young, simian... YES!!!

ON TOPIC:

I don't know about splitting AZ into six sections? I mean, what's on the Western side anyway? I mean, Havasu has stuff to get on, but I probably wouldn't describe drunken lake side humping as climbing? North, South, maybe Central describes it, imo.
Mike · · Phoenix · Joined May 2006 · Points: 2,615

I would vote to just keep it as it is. Of course that is easy to say when you already know where to look.

If it gets split up I would think it should be in 3 sections. Too many sections would jumble it up too much. A horizontal line just north of Prescott & south of Sedona for North/Central, and another one just south of Superior for Central/South would work well. JMHO.

Steve Pulver · · Williston, ND · Joined Dec 2003 · Points: 460

splitting the state into 3 areas seems sufficient

Fred AmRhein · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2007 · Points: 512

From a map view and classical geographical divisions in Arizona, the area south of the statewide running Gila River has been used to describe the southern part, the land between a line roughly along the Verde River/Mogollon (NW to the SE across the state) and north of the Gila kind of defines the central part, and anything north of the Verde/Mogollon line has been the northern part.

With that said though, and having lived in the Prescott area and spent a lot of time climbing there and in the Payson area, those areas are also kind of thought of as Northern Arizona spots, primarily because of the weather and other things but they're still kind of in the central part from a geographical perspective.

As for the Oak Flat areas, personally I think they kind of fall into an easy 3 part division: Queen Creek Canyon Proper/US Highway 60 Areas (Pond, Atlantis, Queen's Sceptre, other road side crags) The Oak Flat Areas that are either on, adjacent, or very close to the campground (Oak Flat Campground areas like Bingham Land, Euro Dog, The Mine Area, etc.), and then the Gaan/Devil's Canyon areas.

The simpler the better in my view I guess.

Fred

JJ Schlick · · Flagstaff, AZ · Joined May 2006 · Points: 11,803

Okay, well I think the whole point is to drastically simplify the main page, and I don't see any reason for more than three regions. Where those regions are split, especially the North/Central line seems to be the only point of concern. My two cents on it would be that the Prescott and Payson areas should be included in the Central Region. I lived in Prescott for nearly four years, and for the last ten in Flagstaff. I don't consider Prescott to be Northern AZ, and yet, of course, I feel that Sedona is certainly NAZ. I guess one way to look at it is like this: Flag climbers head down to Prescott and Payson to warm up, while PHX climbers go to those areas to cool off. With that being said, I don't really care one way or the other, and will go with the consensus, however small. I took a few minutes to come up with a couple more options. I would need help with the crag sorting on the Central/Southern lines. But, let me know what you think of these, and we could tweak them some more. Thanks for the interest, and with a little effort I think we can really improve on the information we now have.

This is #1.

This is #2

BCramer · · Prescott · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 1,520

I agree with a three way split. For various reasons I prefer map #2, but #1 would probably work just as well. Thanks for working on this.

Aerili · · Los Alamos, NM · Joined Mar 2007 · Points: 1,875

I thought Arizona was already split. Into the Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

NickMartel · · Tucson, Arizona · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 1,332

So excuse me if the difference is not totally obvious to me down here in SoAZ but is the only difference between 1 and 2 which section Prescott is in? Which crags would be affected if we went with #1 VS #2??

MacM · · Tucson/Preskitt, AZ · Joined Feb 2010 · Points: 675

My vote is for Map-2. I feel Prescott and all crags included up here are "Northern AZ" type crags.

JJ Schlick · · Flagstaff, AZ · Joined May 2006 · Points: 11,803

+1 Aerili. Nick, yes the only difference is where people want Prescott and Isolation Canyon basically. Do those areas feel like north or central? #2 might then include Crown King, but then were almost to PHX so. Like I said, it just depends on what makes sense to the users, and I'm just going to leave this thread going for a while until a consensus of some sort can be found. And then we can go from there. Thanks again, and if you care at all, let us know on here with simple vote for #1 or #2. Please let me know if there are any other crags that fall on those lines.

Manny Rangel · · PAYSON · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 4,789

I think Prescott and Isolation should be in Central AZ, there is a lot of northern AZ after them.

Great stuff JJ

Wiled Horse · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2002 · Points: 3,669

can we call N.AZ: Great Northern Arizona Republic?

aka the Gnar!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Arizona & New Mexico
Post a Reply to "Splitting Arizona?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started