Mountain Project Logo

Trad & Bouldering in March

Original Post
Seth Derr · · harrisburg, pa · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 2,260

Did lots of searching, can't easily find what i'm looking for so i'm reaching out for a few opinions from locals. I like climbing long moderate (say 5.10b and under) gear protected routes (bolts are okay too). I also like bouldering. I'm looking to go somewhere and do both for a week in march. Obviously there's Red Rock / J-Tree, which is where i'm leaning right now. I've been there already though, and as an east coaster with a full time job and plenty of responsibilities who can only make limited trips to the west coast (like 1 a year if i'm lucky), i'd like to maybe see somewhere new. Any suggestions for areas with great climbing and great bouldering all mashed together that will be warmish in early March? If Vegas is the best place then i'm fine with that. Just checking.

I know there's some routes at Hueco, and i know it's good in march but i passed on a trip to go there in January and don't feel like hearing shit from the people i said no to when i end up going there two months later. Thanks for any feedback.

JCM · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 115

Vegas sure is a good option...probably your best option for early March if you want both long trad moderates and bouldering. There are some other possibilities, though.

Cochise Stronghold (near Tucson, AZ) would be another good option for trad routes at that time of year, and a much more backcountry experience than hanging out at Red Rocks. I'm not sure about what there is for bouldering, though.

Another area than immediately came to mind is Moab. If you haven't been yet, it is a must-visit. There are the many tower routes, which really speak for themselves, and the bouldering at Big Bend is quite good too (not a huge bouldering area, but plenty for a few days during your visit, and excellent quality). You could also do some cragging down at the Creek, or perhaps even combine a visit to Moab with a few days bouldering at Joes. The only downside is that Moab is higher elevation and cooler than Vegas, so early March is a little dodgy, weather wise. It might be perfect, or it might still be cold (especially for Towers). If you can push your timetable to later in March, definitely go to Moab. For the first week of March, though, I'd stick to Vegas.

The St. George/Zion area has good offerings as well. Long routes in Zion, various sport crags around St. George, and bouldering at Moes (which I haven't been to, and have heard a wide range of reviews on, from good to mediocre). Again, the later in March you can go, the better. Early March should be good for the cragging and bouldering, but if you want long routes in Zion you should go a bit later.

Here in Bishop is great, in early March, for the bouldering areas and sport climbing at the Owens River Gorge. The trad routes in the area are usually not in condition in early March, though, due to snow (which hasn't shown up yet this winter, but it is bound to eventually...maybe?). Even with the trad routes out of commission, it is well worth a visit here if you like bouldering and sport climbing.

Thank you. That is pretty much exactly the info i was after. Moab's certainly on the radar, was just concerned that it may be a bit too early in the year. St. George/Zion is fairly easily accessed from Vegas as well right?

I've looked into the stronghold, and would love to check it out. If i was going to throw one of the two things out, it would be bouldering, so it's definitely a strong possability. Thanks again.

David G. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 10

Vegas / St. George are connected by freeway. As I recall, it's about 2.5 hrs from city center to city center. I had a chance to climb in St. George a few weeks ago and really enjoyed the rock.

JCM · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 115
Seth Derr wrote: St. George/Zion is fairly easily accessed from Vegas as well right?
Super close, 2-3 hours on I-15, depending on where you are going to/from in each respective area. If you want to go to St. George and/or Zion, you'll be flying in to Vegas anyway. Both Red Rocks and Zion could be visited on the same trip. Or, if you plan on going to Zion and it is too cold there, but it is better in Red Rocks, it would be easy to switch plans and follow the forecast.

Unless you decide to go spend the week in Cochise (which is also a good option), flying in to Vegas will give you the best options for that time of year, with access to Red Rocks, Zion, and J-Tree. This will allow for easy changes of plans if one area is getting hosed, weather-wise, during that week.

Awesome. Thanks man.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Trad & Bouldering in March"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started