Mountain Project Logo

surfing and wave sailing

Olaf Mitchell · · Paia, Maui, Hi, · Joined Mar 2007 · Points: 4,190
trundlebum · · Las Vegas NV · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 85

Olaf:

The image (from the net) of 'ka wa'a kau kahi', I would guess in the middle of the Moloka'i channel, during the Moloka'i hoe race...
Reminded me of the art work of Herb Kane.
If you are not already familiar with his work... you should be and are now.

There used to be a large mural done by him in the burger king in Kahului.

I was quite saddened to see that he had passed.
Ah well... none of us will ultimately get out alive !

herbkanestudio.com/gallery/

Great to hear from you trundlebum! It sounds as though you had quite the climbing trip. I feel there's one of them in my future but not for a while.
I have been getting out wave sailing some but not as frequently as usual.
I took a job remolding Mama's Fish House and the schedule and scope of work is quite hectic but the money and location are good.
I am also in the process of moving back to Kuau so I am pretty sure that there is a bunch of surf and wave sailing in my future since I can walk or skate to the launch at the cove in less than five minutes.
It will be cool to be back in the hood.

North shores - A larger north-northwest swell will peak out around 8-10+ feet( Hawaiian) at those best aligned beaches. There will be a drop for a day or two starting Monday, then a new northwest swell will arrive mid-week…lasting for several days = GAME ON!!

DaveF Farkas · · Durango, CO · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 20

Olaf, the surf trip was off the hook. My lady and I hung in Troncones/Playa la Saladita and had a blast. Small waves (1-2m) and super sunny. La Saladita has the longest left in Mex with beachside bungalow rentals right at the break. Needless to say the place is incredible. Lourdes Valencia owns the property and has a great beachside restaurant. Heading back this summer with the family for 3-5m waves.

Hi Dave, Thanks for the stoke Dude! Your trip report makes me want to go back down to Mexico again. Some of my very best ocean experiences were when I was free wheeling down there living out of my van with absolutely no set schedule or destination. Drop in often!
we are having some good early conditions here on the north shore.
I scored some delightful 8-10' faces on Tuesday.The swell was still up and I was hoping for more wave sailing yesterday but by the time I finished work a rain squall came through and shut the wind down. It looked a bit sloppy for surfing so I addressed domestic projects.
Maybe conditions will be favorable today after work?

Yesterday was real big and gnarly. The faces of the set waves were easely 20'++ and closing our all channels. I dropped in on some of the biggest waves of the season and kicked out at the first sign of a close out. All went well until I was washed over the big rock at the mouth of the channel.I was relatively unscathed other than some painful ribs. I hope this doesn't keep me pot of the game.
vanstriplecrownofsurfing.co…

Olaf, thanks for the Pipe link. I'm in my classroom with my students right now streaming it. Pipe rips. Super cool.

trundlebum · · Las Vegas NV · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 85

Aloha Bruddah Olaf:
I just came to the thread the long way (instead of direct link)...
You/(we) have one of the longest threads on the whole forum now.

Mostly you Bra.

Keep'm coiming, keep this magic alive !

I love and appreciate that link.
Still in the loft, but pauhana...

I watched all of day one and two.
Schweeet phootage :0

Dave F and trundlebum it's great to here from you guys and know that you are digging the stoke that I have for this thread and the the ocean!

Check out my friend Giampaolo's blog post covering Thursday's epic conditions that I mentioned up thread. My ribs are very tender from getting washed through the rocks at the end of my session that day so I didn't wave sail yesterday. The waves still had some respectable size and it looked real good. Several of my friends were out tearing it up at Kuau.
mauisurfreport.blogspot.com…

super sweet at Pipe this weekend. Kelly and John John's battle was the best of the weekend I thought. Now it's time to figure out the summer swell and where to go in the Pacific. My girl and I are thinking Tavarua, or something similar in August. Any ideas/suggestions?

Heyun · · Charleston S.C. · Joined Dec 2009 · Points: 455

Still keeping the dream alive.... good for you Olaf.

Been out of touch lately with the www, computer got moved to a not so user friendly place in the house, kids keeping me way busier than the first one did...boy vs girl I rekon. Little dude is wide open.

Not much to talk about surf wise going on here (lol) but we had a decent fall. Still holding on to that blank... maybe it will be a spring something to look forward to.

Got a pass to go out a few Thursaday's ago at dawn, gotta be home by 8:15 but it's always worth it. One of my favorite things is paddling out in the pre-dawn light, being 1st one in the water.

A guy took this sequence I was able to get ahold of. Super long left at the Folly Beach pier.

Keep up the good vibe!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Other Sports
Post a Reply to "surfing and wave sailing"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started