Mountain Project Logo

MP iPhone App Officially Released

Finn The Human · · The Land of Ooo · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 106
longroper wrote:I never said $5 a year was too much. I just don't like the business model. If I pay to download something I don't like my ability to access the information revoked. I think the promise of updated software should not be what keeps a person subscribed. It should be the availability of fresh data. If the data becomes stale I don't really want to lose what I have, but I don't want to keep paying for more regardless of the price.
Don't ever buy a Zune then. (Not that people really buy those things...)

But their subscription service works in the same way. You have access to the music as long as you pay. Stop paying, goodbye music.
Gold Plated Rocket Pony · · Colorado · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 96

Nice work, looks awesome so far!

TJ Esposito · · San Diego, CA · Joined May 2011 · Points: 95

used it this weekend at JT on my iPad, worked great. Now, if only there was a larger native iPad version... ;-)

chris vultaggio · · The Gunks · Joined Dec 2008 · Points: 535

installed and works great - thanks and for all those bitching about the 5 bucks:

youtube.com/watch?v=V4sbYy0…

Paul Davidson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 607

very cool
and to verify, it looks like the routes are being listed left to right ? That's always been a real problem with getting info. Print a mini guide into a pdf but it's alphabetic and not by location. Obviously by location would need some extra work but without it, it's much more difficult to use electronics at the crag.

well done...

Andrew Martin · · North Jersey · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 10

Thank you guys! It looks and rund great, I am very happy to pay the $5 a year to not have ads!

rgold · · Poughkeepsie, NY · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 526
longroper wrote:I never said $5 a year was too much. I just don't like the business model. If I pay to download something I don't like my ability to access the information revoked. I think the promise of updated software should not be what keeps a person subscribed. It should be the availability of fresh data. If the data becomes stale I don't really want to lose what I have, but I don't want to keep paying for more regardless of the price.

The business model you are complaining about isn't the one in place here. You aren't paying to download anything, you are paying to support a service. There is no fee for downloading, you just do it. The yearly fee underwrites the service, and if you stop paying it, you lose the benefits of the service.

Seems simple, fair, and transparent to me.

As for the $5 yearly fee, complainers have got to be kidding.
John Hegyes · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Feb 2002 · Points: 5,676

Good work with the app. I love having all the route beta in my iPhone. Really nicely done. And the price is a steal compared to all the work that has gone into MP. Cheers!! When's the release party??

rogerk klinger · · Burlington, VT · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 1,603

Used it today for the first time. So much better than having to print out pages. Thanks!

On thing I'd like to see change:
I uploaded some new boulder problems today, but according to the Area Updates screen on the app, updates are only available every few weeks. This isn't helpful if I want the info on a new climb the next time I go climbing. Is there a way to get updates anytime we want?

Nick Wilder · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2005 · Points: 4,098
rogerk wrote:Used it today for the first time. So much better than having to print out pages. Thanks! On thing I'd like to see change: I uploaded some new boulder problems today, but according to the Area Updates screen on the app, updates are only available every few weeks. This isn't helpful if I want the info on a new climb the next time I go climbing. Is there a way to get updates anytime we want?
No, building those data packages is hugely computationally expensive for a server. Also, downloading data packs costs us real money, so if everyone updated all the areas all the time, we'd be losing money on the app, even with charging $5/year.

We do updates in the middle of the night once/week, and it's likely to stay that way. So, not instant updates, but a lot more than your guidebook collection!
Gold Plated Rocket Pony · · Colorado · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 96

First off, stellar app. Just did a 4 day trip to Red Rocks and the app was hugely helpful. Here's some feedback:

Under Bookmarks and To Do's
1. Add more sorting options here (by area/sub-area/sub-subarea, rating etc)

2. Put more location information in the top of each route so I know what exact area the route is in (right now it says "Nevada > Red Rocks" it'd be nice to say "Red Rocks > Sandstone Quarry > The Wake-Up Wall"). Maybe make the font smaller to fit it all. See image 1.

3. This is a "nice to have" but just tossing it out there; it'd be nice to be able to tag a bookmarked route with a date for planning purposes. We were trying to plan out the routes for the next day and being able to tag a bookmarked route with a planned date (and then sorting or just displaying those dates on the bookmark page) would have been really nice.

Route Detail
1. The top nav to go up a level is hard to use. I think the minimum size for a usable button is 44px by 44px and trying to tap on these guys to first get the drop down and then go up a level is a pain in the ass. See image 2 and 3.

2. Same goes for the Bookmark icon. Hard to actually tap it. See image 2 and 3.

MP app feedback

Dr Awkward · · SF, CA · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 0

How do I cancel my automatic renewal for the $5 data subscription without access to my iPhone? I got rid of my iPhone and switched to a droid so no MP app for now :(

Edit - How do I cancel my data subscription (iPhone version)?
On your computer (not your phone!), open iTunes, look under the "Store" menu and click "View My Account". Find the "Settings" area, then click "Manage" next to Subscriptions.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Mountain Project News
Post a Reply to "MP iPhone App Officially Released"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started