Mountain Project Logo

Robert's Horn - East Face

Original Post
Michael Davidson · · North Bend, WA · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 141

Can somebody help me understand where the difficulty on this face lies? Where is there enough vert to have WI4 and 5.8 as its called on the MP description? It just doesn't look steep enough.

This isn't a troll. I am legitimately interested and hoping to get on this route this fall.

Thanks.
Allen Sanderson · · On the road to perdition · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 1,203

My guess is that the descriptions are for early season when there is just enough moisture to have ice. The picture looks mid/late winter when everything is buried and quite frankly death routes. In the spring after a few good freeze thaw cycles the routes are probably you suspect - nice moderate snow routes.

That's probably a fair guess. I hope I'll get a shot of it "in shape" this year.

Thanks.

Alec L · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2007 · Points: 632

Precisely. It should be coming into condition right about now. Hit me up if you want a partner, it's been on my list for years.

I was in the area this weekend and I think it might need a freeze-melt cycle or two more. The face looked pretty bare.

I'll let you know, Alec.

This is an old photo taken from a 2010 Summitpost thread. Credit to PocketsOfBlue. Says it was taken November 1. This is the face directly across from Roberts Horn's East Face.

It is very dry up there yet.

Robert's Horn, yesterday.

atrau · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2007 · Points: 0

AWESOME!

Thanks for posting this, it helps me so much to know when to head up for some apline/ice climbing from southern Utah. Bring the cold!

Rob

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern Utah & Idaho
Post a Reply to "Robert's Horn - East Face"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started