Mountain Project Logo

Recommendations for Red Rocks Crags w/ Kid?

Original Post
Fleetwood Matt · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 620

So we're off to Red Rocks this weekend with little Jonah in tow. Got any good recommendations for a good crag where he can roll around and eat dirt? (Not too crowded, safe, good routes up to 5.11)
Thanks-

Sam · · San Jose, CA · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 20

I'd love to hear what you find out. Last time I was there was a few months pre-baby. She's 18mo now - where did the time go?

I guess it would depend on age of kids, but you can probably get some cragging in and around Sandstone Quarry (3rd pull out) with a kid. If Jonah is old enough to do a little hiking, maybe Willow Springs/Children's Crag. Not sure if you're a Trad Dad or not. :)

Holler back with a trip report if you remember.

Cheers,
Sam

cassondra l · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2008 · Points: 335

you might want to check out some of the routes in the Sandstone Quarry area.....

Fleetwood Matt · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 620

Hey Sam. Here's your trip report. We checked out Moderate Mecca and Wall of Confusion with Jonah in tow. I'd say not-so-toddler-friendly. We put him in his full-body harness and tied him off short, so he wouldn't fall off the cliff. Still Jonah managed to fall off some head-height (for him) boulders and take some good diggers. Just another item to add to the list 'Things not to tell the grandparents about.' We (Jonah included) had a much better time dumping him at a complete stranger's house for a day of babysitting. The wife and I had a great day on a few Mescalito routes. So, the search continues...

Sam · · San Jose, CA · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 20

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the TR. Jonah looks like he's having fun in his harness. We just got back from a week at Housekeeping Camp in the Valley with our 18mo old. My wife wasn't climbing so I got to climb a bit. Daughter is a little young/small for the full body harness yet (maybe). She had fun goofing around at Swan Slab and base of El Cap. There were occasional challenges of keeping her out of various cold waters. I'll try to get the grandparents to take babysitting duty next time.

Cheers,
Sam

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Nevada
Post a Reply to "Recommendations for Red Rocks Crags w/ Kid?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started