Mountain Project Logo

Bolts

Original Post
Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0

Where's a good place to get SS bolts?

John, don't be a dick. You know exactly what I was saying. I try not to spend $5-10 on bolts.

Cor · · Sandbagging since 1989 · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 1,445

Spray (on) John.

Andrew, a under $2. SS bolt will not do the job,
UNLESS it is anything other than the rock from where you are located.

Just saying (that is my favorite mountainproject post)

:D

Thanks for the help!!!!!Dick.

rock-fencer · · Columbia, SC · Joined Dec 2009 · Points: 265

i think hilti kwik bolts come out to less than 5$ if ordered in a larger quantity

T

Cunning Linguist · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2007 · Points: 1,200
M Sprague · · New England · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 5,090

There is nothing wrong with asking where people are finding the best price for a given bolt. Most of us are on a budget and shaving a buck off the price makes a differance. I was just going to ask the same thing. I use 1/2" SS Rawl bolts for granite and the website from the place I usually got them seems to be down. The best price for the 2-3/4" ones I have found today so far is $350 for a box of 50 from Fasten MC. Anybody found any cheaper? I'd rather not have to pop for 50 atm also.

A cheaper, same quality alternative that doesn't require a hard to get bit would be usefull too. I prefer ones that can be removed if needed.

Thanks Howard!

Jason Halladay · · Los Alamos, NM · Joined Oct 2005 · Points: 15,158

While it's a few years old, this thread has some useful information.

Luke Stefurak · · Seattle, WA · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 2,573

Good cheap stainless bolts.

ebay.com/itm/HILTI-3-8-x-3-…

Would be great for bomber granite.

Could fall out in soft sandstone.

- Luke

Dom Caron · · Welsford, New Brunswick Canada · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 1,370

I'll second what Luke just wrote. The hilti KB3 work awesome for bomber granite. Superior product than other wedge bolts (such as powers) and for that price it's a steal.

Cheapest hangers around are Fixe 3/8' SS at MEC for 2.10$ a pop.

Thanks, Dom!! I never get a real answer on MP. It's about time some one helped me out!!

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,492
M Sprague wrote:There is nothing wrong with asking where people are finding the best price for a given bolt. Most of us are on a budget and shaving a buck off the price makes a differance. I was just going to ask the same thing. I use 1/2" SS Rawl bolts for granite and the website from the place I usually got them seems to be down.
Kudos for you for placing the good stuff...but most folks would say 3/8" is more than adequate for solid granite.
M Sprague · · New England · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 5,090

Hmmm...it goes against my grain to not use 1/2", and I am not a fan of wedge bolts with the threads sticking out of the rock, but they probably are bomber enough to at least use for the slab portions of the routes I'm doing. Paying $8 a pop plus $3.25 for the 1/2" SS fixe hangers is putting me in the poorhouse. I'll check out the specs. Thanks. I won't bolt if I can't use top notch hardware though. I bolt for those coming after me. Frankly, I am perfectly happy TRing if it is feasible. I love cruising up a cliff with a giant TR with no though of having to protect or belays. Just pure climbing, and take the king swing if you come off.

John, you got shit on your dick?(If you have a dick). I've got no idea what rock I'm drilling, I just bolt choss!

Richard Radcliffe · · Erie, CO · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 225

Line 9

John, it's Pikes Peak Granite. I think your dicks a little to small to comprehend.

Eric Bratschun · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2005 · Points: 75

JohnL. I don't want to know how you ever found that video in the first place but thanks for sharing...I am going to have lots of fun with it!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Bolts"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started