Mountain Project Logo

Southern Adirondack Climbing Festival and Bouldering Competition...THIS WEEKEND!!

Original Post
Justin Sanford · · Broadalbin, New York · Joined May 2009 · Points: 555

For some reason, I am not getting any PM's from mountain project...if you are interested in a tour of these areas for some climbing, development, or routine maintenance, email me directly:
jsanford (at) thelagroup (dot) com

Thanks

Bump...in an attempt to gain some interest from the MP community

Green Lake Cliff

Otter Lake Roofs

Otter Lake: New Route

okay...so the initial posts did not get any response. I was hoping to get some help in cleaning up some of my local climbing areas for this years climbing festival. My climbing crew stepped up and did an incredible job so now i'd like to extend an additional note onto the previous posts...

This September 9th, 10th, and 11th will be the 4th annual Southern Adirondack Rock Climber's Festival which will be held in Caroga Lake NY. We are working on securing a group campsite so everyone who wants to kick it around a fire after each day and cut loose, can. The venue will include numerous cliffs in the immediate area and will also include a bouldering comp at Nine Corners Lake on Saturday September 10th. All of the festivities are free of charge and I have secured numerous donations from climbing companies like SoIll, Rock Candy, Black Swan, Blank Slate, Organic, Stonelick, EMS, Climberism, Climb High...free climbing passes to RockSport in Queensbury, The Edge in Halfmoon (hoping to open early/late October)....

Come out for a fun filled weekend and the chance to win some sweet climbing schwag! Crash Pads, hangboards, climbing holds, DVD's, t shirts, quick draws, chalk buckets, campus rungs, etc, etc...

Hope to see everyone there!

Nine Corners Bouldering Comp

Tparis · · Pottersville,New York · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 270

Free food Saturday night provided by Solid Rock Climbers for Christ.

BUMP...

-Free Food Saturday Night
-Group Camping Site
-Bouldering Competition with various prizes on Saturday
-Local Tours to remote Southern Adirondack Crags throughout the weekend
-Good Times and Great Climbing...

pooler · · Albany, NY · Joined Sep 2009 · Points: 20

I'm going, but you already knew that I just didn't want you and tparis to be the only guys posting. Good on ya 100 point guy

Eric Kuenstner · · Los Angeles · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 81
pooler wrote:I'm going, but you already knew that I just didn't want you and tparis to be the only guys posting. Good on ya 100 point guy
same here. I'm so stoked.
Chris Duca · · Dixfield, ME · Joined Dec 2006 · Points: 2,330

Hey guys! I'd be psyched to come down for the event, though I fear I'd have to travel solo. Would there be some folks available to climb some routes with for a two of the days?

Jeremy Haas · · Glens Falls, NY · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 15

Hey Chris. This is the perfect event for a partner-free climber to enjoy. There will be locals at designated sites and folks anxious to offer a belay. Based upon what I know of your climbing preferences, you are going to love the Caroga Lake crags!

Chris Duca · · Dixfield, ME · Joined Dec 2006 · Points: 2,330

That sounds great! I will make every attempt to make it down there for a day or so. Thanks!

Jason Hayden · · North Clarendon, VT · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 9,585

Sounds awesome...Sam, Mazie and I might come up. How do we sign up for the bouldering comp?

All you have to do to be entered into the bouldering competition is show up on Saturday Septmeber 10th at the Nine Corners Lake trailhead. Details on where this is and how the competition is going to be structured can be found on my blog: southernadirondackclimber.b…

Spread the word...if the weather holds off, this could be a really good climbing event with a bunch of participants. IF it rains on that Saturday, the climbing festival will go on as planned but the bouldering competition will be rescheduled mainly because of all of the prize donations I have secured from various companies...I'd hate to give prizes away for no reason and would prefer to have an all out bouldering comp!

Hope to see everyone there!

J. Nickel · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2006 · Points: 100

Justin,
What is going on Friday? I'm looking to get out that day and am having difficulty finding a partner.
Jonathan

Friday is more or less the gathering day for everyone traveling in from out of the area. I would assume that most people are going to get in later on Friday and probably just set up camp at the designated group camp site (I have been told that is at at the intersection of Rt 10 and Rt 10A just north of the "Town of Caroga Lake" welcome sign. There will be a wood carved bear on the roadside pointing in the direction of "Base Camp".)

I will be around on Friday but mostly to help people find the campsite and to meet some of the many event sponsors. I am sure that a few of my friends will be getting out to climb if the weather is good on Friday. Do you plan on climbing all day? I can put you in contact with a few guys if that's the case. Email me at
jsanford (at) thelagroup (dot) com

Tparis · · Pottersville,New York · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 270

I am planning on climbing on friday but I'm not sure where yet, probably Lost T.

Jason Hayden · · North Clarendon, VT · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 9,585

Justin - Any idea on conditions this week...were any of the bridges going to the bouldering washed out from Irene? We're planning on driving over Saturday morning from vt and will have three of us entering the comp weather permitting. Will it dry out with some sun tomorrow and sun on Friday? Hope to see you there!

PeterW Whitmore · · Dryden, NY · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 50

Todd,

I am planning on climbing at McMartin's on friday with Tim T and some others.

The bridges will be fine to get into Nine Corners Lake for the bouldering comp. The dampness will hold on for awhile based on the amount of rain we are currently getting but we have 10-12 guys heading into the boulderfield on friday with towels, brooms, brushes, and leaf blowers to help the predicted sunshine dry things up a BIT quicker. The competition is going to go on as planned so i hope to see everyone there! The weather looks good on Saturday for the event so if we can manage to get things relatively dry, it should be a good time.

cms829 · · NJ · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 90

daaaaamn it i cant decide. Spend fri night-sun night in the gunks.... or drive up for the bouldering comp on saturday and then down to the gunks for sunday. I need help deciding! Someone please decide for me. I suck at decisions. lol.

Are there any moderate trad lines within the area my buddy and I could get a fix on after the comp?

Matt G · · Boulder, CO · Joined Nov 2008 · Points: 85

Looks like Otter Lake and Green Lake are mostly harder, but Lost T has a few moderate lines (keep in mind the grades are quite soft compared to the Gunks and the rest of the Dacks). I don't recall how many moderates are at Good Luck Cliff. Lost T also has some spicy 10ish sport lines.

Looks like I'll be at the fest on Saturday with a small group. Might even head down tonight, we'll see. Would love to do Mystery Achievement but considering the number of people at the new crags maybe they are a better bet. I might even boulder a little bit :)

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northeastern States
Post a Reply to "Southern Adirondack Climbing Festival and Bould…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started