Mountain Project Logo

Ironclad rant and warning.

Original Post
Jon Welchans · · Longmont Colorado · Joined Jun 2010 · Points: 75

After the bs I dealt with while climbing in the ironclads (bunce hill school rd) I'm starting the think that most people are not smart enough to own a gun. We had a round hit above us (during the walk down from Ironsides). Climbers for targets...

I am very pro-gun. But this is stoooopid.

Great area for easy climbs but the dumbass factor is to high (And I'm not even talking about Punk Rock and Mt Bohner (or however John bohner spells his name).

AND...As well, the ftards that drive atv(s_ all over the place (off trail...and it is unreal how many new trails are being cut...but most will never see them as no one hikes anymore) up there and the POS that rents them and flips me off because I didn't pull over to let him go racing past me at 30 mph as soon as he came up behind me and followed me for half a second.

Phil Lauffen · · Innsbruck, AT · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 3,098

that walk down is sketchy. I hated walking by beer cans recently peppered by buckshot. That really isn't a good place for people to be spraying lead in every direction.

Petsfed 00 · · Snohomish, WA · Joined Mar 2002 · Points: 989

I've had bullets whistle over my head at the Cactus Cliffs parking lot at Shelf. Curiously, I've never encountered anything that bad in Wyoming.

Brian Scoggins wrote:I've had bullets whistle over my head at the Cactus Cliffs parking lot at Shelf. Curiously, I've never encountered anything that bad in Wyoming.
I did too, at the bank. It was whining, so it was a ricochet. It sounded very close. Just goes to show that dumbasses think that using a rock back drop stops a metal object going 1200 +fps. To bad a few don't end u eating their own lead.
Andrew Shoemaker · · Olympia, WA · Joined May 2011 · Points: 265

Sounds like I'm going to have to start adding another 8lbs to my climbing rack when I go up there.

Andrew Shoemaker wrote:Sounds like I'm going to have to start adding another 8lbs to my climbing rack when I go up there.
That was my thought, too. But, yesterday I might of got into trouble and Darwin would have had another laugh at us all.

And 8lbs = sw500???
Marathon · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 275
JLP wrote: Stop your whining and enjoy your crag, then.
Yeh, They get to be asses and I go to jail. 150 years to late. Not going down that road.

I was on the Cube and could hear something hitting over on the east side of Ironsides. So I know that they were just shooting away at the rocks.

However, while up there, I did not put it together because I never thought anyone would be so fucking stupid as to do that. On the way down, I realized.

Also, there were some guys walking around my truck scoping it our until the dogs started checking them out.

Josh Olson · · Durango, CO · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 255

So does a shot route constitute chipping?

Jon W wrote:And 8lbs = sw500???
That...or a Mossberg 590A1 12ga tactical
Bill Duncan · · Glade Park, CO · Joined Mar 2005 · Points: 3,410

Various kinds of abuse issues related to the Bunce School Road area are on the radar of the Forest Service officials. If you want to voice your concerns, I might suggest voicing concerns to the officials that can actually do something about it. This may make the approach longer (insert generic closure statement here), but I doubt anyone reading this would care much about that, as it is very casual already. You may also want to encourage the reopening of the old shooting range near the highway 7 and 72 intersection (the old dump). This is already under consideration.

Bill Duncan wrote: I might suggest voicing concerns to the officials that can actually do something about it.
Done and done again.

Maybe some other could do that, as well and show the FS that more than one person/user is put off by this shit.
Derek Schroeder · · Flagstaff, AZ · Joined Feb 2011 · Points: 5
JLP wrote: Stop your whining and enjoy your crag, then.
Right because we all love getting shot at while climbing. Two sports that I personally love to combine.
Tim Stich · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,520

I'll never go back to the Ironclads after my last experience with the all night rave. Hope the Forest Service people ticket some of those irresponsible gun owners. That is not cool.

matt.l.b · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 25

That is way over the top. There are far better places to shoot near there. I'm sure they had little experience and an IQ around room temperature. I lived across the street and saw all sorts of things. Speaking of the old dump the last time I was there I was doing some work on a new setup and these two tools showed up wearing BDU's and combats and one of them sets up a crono and promptly destroys it with an M16 rodeo rifle, dumbass.

As someone who has climbed there as well as taken the dirt bike and my crawler there are plenty of morons like anywhere close to town. The Pouder is another great example. Be it those with guns or vehicles they cannot handle. This also applies to people who have no business climbing but are out anyway, a recent example is seeing a ladder truck drive up the canyon the other day to "rescue" a "climber" over the creek.

More restrictions only infringe on all of our freedoms which we have too easily given up. It is a shame that we have evolved to a state where stupid is only painful and not deadly. I would have tried to approach them and find out what they thought they were doing in being so irresponsible.

As for adding weight to you rack your riot gun seems a bit much unless you are expecting trouble. I typically carry my USP but after this weekend and being 15 feet away from three cats I guess you never know. Another option would be a shorty 12 rather than the riot, a five inch 12g would rack rather nicely.

Keep it close, keep it hot.

SteveP · · front royal VA · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 10
matt.l.b wrote: As for adding weight to you rack your riot gun seems a bit much unless you are expecting trouble. I typically carry my USP but after this weekend and being 15 feet away from three cats I guess you never know. Another option would be a shorty 12 rather than the riot, a five inch 12g would rack easily enough. Keep it close, keep it hot.
THIS
matt.l.b wrote:As for adding weight to you rack your riot gun seems a bit much unless you are expecting trouble.
I actually would never "rack" my shotty but if I ever did feel the need to carry to the crags I'd take my Springfield XD40.
Greg D · · Here · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 883
Jon W wrote:I'm starting the think that most people are not smart enough to own a gun.
Interesting conclusion. If one or a few people are idiots and not able to use guns responsibly... than most people are not smart enough...

Then, there are thousands of car crashes everyday... so millions of people should not have cars.

I do appreciate your concern for your safety that day. It was quite justified. But, your conclusion....
matt.l.b · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 25

Steve not sure if there was supposed to be a link or not but I was joking about cut pumps like the Serbu and other AOW's.

As for racking a riot that was a joke too. I never would either though I can see Stallone climbing with one across his back. I typically carry one of my 45's or a 40 or a wheel.

mcarizona · · Flag · Joined Feb 2007 · Points: 180
Josh Olson wrote:So does a shot route constitute chipping?
So do routes with 'new dishes' get downgraded?
"I climbed that back when it was 5.10 dude"
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Ironclad rant and warning."

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started