Mountain Project Logo

Shame on Boulder! Soon to charge "non residents" for parking starting June 27th

JoeP · · Littleton, CO · Joined Sep 2006 · Points: 0
clackmon wrote:If it weren't for decades of boulder residents paying out the ass for open space acquisitions there wouldn't be anything worth coming here for anyway so make your meager sacrifice or go somewhere else.
No sympathy for that:

Paid for that land out of choice. And, reaped major financial benefits in doing so in the form of massive increase in property values due to their self-imposed limit on land.
Francis Kelsey · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 30

this is funny lol

glad i left

Joe Huggins · · Grand Junction · Joined Oct 2001 · Points: 105
Ty Harlacker wrote: Stop taking showers, and start chucking frisbee's.
Do you feel any embarrassment from posting that?Bullshit stereotypes are great;like the one about everyone in Albequerque being a Mexican gang member and drooling while they speak...
Russell Holcomb · · Boulder, Colorado · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 15

The reality is that Boulder county folks rarely use any other county's facilities. At least not as much as out of county people use ours. We simply don't have to. We have the best trails here. Trails the we've paid top dollar for in taxes for the last 30 years. But folks from around the metro area and the state use Boulder's trail system every single day in droves. The parking at Doudy draw is overflowing.
If Jeffco and other counties want to charge out of city or county visitors a fee, that would be perfectly fine with Boulder people. We don't use your trails. If we were coming to your trails the way you are coming to ours, you'd have to charge a fee as well.

Mark Wyss · · Denver, CO · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 255

Sedona does the same thing when you park at trail heads to mtn bike or climb in Oak Creek Canyon

Peter Stokes · · Them Thar Hills · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 150
Ryan-Nelson wrote:Boulder's gay
OK, so maybe I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but when did "gay" become a synonym for "lame"?
Mike Lane · · AnCapistan · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 880

The irony is that this policy is so anti-proletarian.

Julius Beres · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 364
Wade Frank wrote: but really this debate is based on the principal.
It sounds to me that the fundamental principal is that people enjoy feeling indignant.

Seriously... $25 a year? And you probably won't have to pay it since none of those trails are for climbing areas.

If this is really about principal, where have you been for the last decade? Why haven't you been protesting the fact that non-county residents are charged to park on Flagstaff?

Why aren't you down at the Denver Art Museum picketing? After all, an adult ticket there is $13, but state residents only have to pay $10.

It just sounds to me like you read an article about Boulder and decided you were going to feel indignant.

Had you made an argument that it would hurt business you could perhaps sound reasonable. You could perhaps argue that the revenue generated from charging for parking won't offset the loss to "openess" or some other quality of Boulder. I could buy that. But the "oh my god, this is so unjust" attitude seems over the top and completely uncalled for over a $25 a YEAR parking fee.

The notion that there is something inherently unjust about charging residents and non-residents different fees for services provided by the county is ridiculous.
Rick Blair · · Denver · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 266
Bubbles wrote:If they really want to reduce congestion OSMP should charge EVERYONE $5 on Saturday and Sunday, increase the parking ticket for people who park illegally on the side of the road, or some combination of the two.
I think that is fair. I do understand the parking problem on the weekends, I suspect a lot of it is over flow from Eldo because they always run out of parking.

Maybe there is an undercurrent of racism here too. A lot of Mexican families picnic in Eldo on the weekend, a way to push them out.

I am going to propose to my City Council member that we start checking plates at the parking garage at the Denver Zoo and City Park in general, Boulder residents pay $5. That parking garage always fills up on weekends. It will be a pilot, possibly expanded in the future.
gordwah · · colorado · Joined Jun 2009 · Points: 140

First, Jefffco should charge only Boulder residents to use places like White Ranch since the a-holes from Boulder ended mountain biking in their beloved open space in the late 1980s. Furthermore don't even talk about that open space that all of you in Bloder paid for when most of the monies to buy the land came from Great Outdoors COLORADO which paid for by everyone in the state stupid enough to buy lottery tickets. How about a boycott of Bloder businesses!

PRRose · · Boulder · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 0
Rick Blair wrote: I am going to propose to my City Council member that we start checking plates at the parking garage at the Denver Zoo and City Park in general, Boulder residents pay $5. That parking garage always fills up on weekends. It will be a pilot, possibly expanded in the future.
OK, can the residents of Boulder, Arapahoe, Adams, Jefferson, Douglas, and Broomfield stop paying the sales tax that funds the Zoo?
Mike Lane · · AnCapistan · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 880
PRRose wrote: OK, can the residents of Boulder, Arapahoe, Adams, Jefferson, Douglas, and Broomfield stop paying the sales tax that funds the Zoo?
The difference being that the SCFD passed by popular vote -including Boulder County- a couple of times now, whereas this fee is being imposed by a collective of yahoos. I would love to see JeffCo do the same thing with mountain bikers, that would be a square deal.
And Clackmon- looks to me from that spreadsheet like BoCo has received assloads of money from GOCO through the years, which would in turn free up monies for land acquisition. Am I interpreting this wrong?
matt davies · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2007 · Points: 25

The reality of this is overcrowding at the aforementioned Boulder trailheads. Something needs to be done about it, unmitigated it will diminish the pleasure and relaxing nature of the experience for everyone. The elephant in the room is not EVERYONE can go to these places without the resources being depleted and the overall vibe degrading into suckiness. I am a prime offender; I park at Doudy Draw and hitch rides into Eldo with partners with passes, to avoid paying at the gate. I live in Denver. As much as I like to riff on B-town and its often intolerable miasma of ultrawealth masquerading as proletarian utopia, what else can they really do in the immediate future to maintain the original user intent of these areas? $25 bones really is a drop in the bucket for what you get, and although I'd kinda like to get on my soap-box about this land is your land this land is my land, there is a real problem that isn't going to go away with mere references to who pays for what in CO. Is it fair?- fair is a made up-concept for elementary school democracy lessons, the reality is this may help alleviate some of the congestion at these trailheads. Or it may not. But the poo-bahs in B-town will at least be able to tell their constituents they tried, and if I still lived there, that's what I'd want.

Dave Hurst · · somewhat near Boulder CO · Joined Jun 2010 · Points: 5
Mike Lane wrote: like BoCo has received assloads of money from GOCO through the years, which would in turn free up monies for land acquisition. Am I interpreting this wrong?

Pretty much. Trail building and some improvements paid by GOCO perhaps. Bond issues voted on and supported by BOULDER COUNTY TAXES pay for land acquistion, cleanup, law enforcement etc.
Bob Dergay · · Colorado · Joined Oct 2006 · Points: 101

I love it!

Boulder-Haters who now have to pay to come to Boulder!
Suck it Beotches, suck it hard!

It's real simple.. if the $2 a month isn't worth it for you, then go elsewhere.

BDergay wrote:I love it! Boulder-Haters who now have to pay to come to Boulder! Suck it Beotches, suck it hard! It's real simple.. if the $2 a month isn't worth it for you, then go elsewhere.
Exhibit #1 of why I left.
Stay classy, BDergay.
Bob Dergay · · Colorado · Joined Oct 2006 · Points: 101

For you Matt!

Just for matt
We'll miss you!

Thoughtful, heartfelt and poignant, with just enough pop-culture reference and snide vulgarity to be appealing to the lurking 14 year olds... I overestimated you, sir!

Paul Ross · · Keswick, Cumbria · Joined Apr 2001 · Points: 22,236

Seems like one may consider leaving these noisy crowded areas and hitting the places in the more tranquil deserts and mountains where you don't have to pay.However this may at times involve a wee bit of hiking but that does help keep away most of the noisy.

Ben Walburn · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 680

It's so popular to hate boulder with any chance these days. I wonder how many of the complainers have been here for a while or just for a year or two?? If you have been around for a while then you have seen the overwhelming influx that this city has endured in all sectors. A parking fee to help support maintenance and administration to oversee said maintenance is much needed, I can only imagine. Trails don't magically stay clean and in tact. I pay a bunch of money to enter State, National and city parks every year and rather than complain about it I see it as supporting the activities and places I use and enjoy.
$25.00 big ones for an annual pass
-how much money did you spend on coffee this week?
-how much on restaurant food?
-how much on weed?
-how much on beers?
-how much on ...you get my point

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Shame on Boulder! Soon to charge "non resident…"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.