Mountain Project Logo

What's the Best Climber's Dog ?

Catherine Conner · · Phoenix, AZ · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 230
Andrew Shoemaker · · Olympia, WA · Joined May 2011 · Points: 265
BRegan wrote:Leave Your Dog At Home Your canine companion may be a model of good behavior, but even a tied up dog can wreak havoc on plant life or soil at the crag. Dog’s are predators and their mere presence stresses native animals. The native plants and animals have priority over domesticated pets and are protected on public lands. Dog waste poses the same disposal problems of human waste. Climbing Mag Tech Tip
Your mere presence stresses native animals as well. And you walk on the same soil don't you? So you should probably stay at home.
T-Bob · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 50
steve edwards · · SLC, UT · Joined May 2004 · Points: 645

+1 for Asia. She's a faaaantastic crag dog! Finnegan is so appreciative we rescued him from the kill list that he helps me choose the safest routes.

Finnegan deciding which route we're doing next.

steve edwards · · SLC, UT · Joined May 2004 · Points: 645

and +1 for Andrew:

BRegan wrote:

Leave Your Dog At Home Your canine companion may be a model of good behavior, but even a tied up dog can wreak havoc on plant life or soil at the crag. Dog’s are predators and their mere presence stresses native animals. The native plants and animals have priority over domesticated pets and are protected on public lands. Dog waste poses the same disposal problems of human waste. Climbing Mag Tech Tip

Your mere presence stresses native animals as well. And you walk on the same soil don't you? So you should probably stay at home.

Highly agree. With this kind of uptight attitude I'll bet your mere presence stresses everyone out. If you're truly concerned about the native animals for God's sake stay home because just driving to the crag causes them a lot more stress than any number of dogs running around. Not to mention trail building, bolting, shoving metal gear into cracks many call home, scrubbing hundred year-old lichen off the rock, etc. And, of course, humans aren't predacious at all. Most animals look at us like we're King Arthur in Camalot.

Actually, never mind. Let's blame our wildlife issues on dogs being outside. That should make us feel better. If we enlist a few more skilled spin doctors we can probably lay the blame on them for global warming, world hunger, and most of the wars going on at the moment as well.

Sharky towers · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2011 · Points: 0
steve edwards wrote:and +1 for Andrew: BRegan wrote: Leave Your Dog At Home Your canine companion may be a model of good behavior, but even a tied up dog can wreak havoc on plant life or soil at the crag. Dog’s are predators and their mere presence stresses native animals. The native plants and animals have priority over domesticated pets and are protected on public lands. Dog waste poses the same disposal problems of human waste. Climbing Mag Tech Tip Your mere presence stresses native animals as well. And you walk on the same soil don't you? So you should probably stay at home. Highly agree. With this kind of uptight attitude I'll bet your mere presence stresses everyone out. If you're truly concerned about the native animals for God's sake stay home because just driving to the crag causes them a lot more stress than any number of dogs running around. Not to mention trail building, bolting, shoving metal gear into cracks many call home, scrubbing hundred year-old lichen off the rock, etc. And, of course, humans aren't predacious at all. Most animals look at us like we're King Arthur in Camalot. Actually, never mind. Let's blame our wildlife issues on dogs being outside. That should make us feel better. If we enlist a few more skilled spin doctors we can probably lay the blame on them for global warming, world hunger, and most of the wars going on at the moment as well.
You tell 'em! Long live Tuco the Rat!
APBT1976 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2011 · Points: 55

I own two dogs myself and i will also admit that 99% of dog owners are retarded in regard to basic common sense and just general consideration and respect for others dogs or no dogs!

99.9% of dog owners dogs cant do any wrong and are doing no harm weather at the dog park, local kids park or running loose on some hiking trail out in the middle of the woods. It is a waste of breath to even get into it with 99.9% of dog owners as they can not be spoken to as they are always right.

Again i have two dogs of my own and although well behaved well mannered if you own any dog for long enough and have any common sense and give two shits about it you realize a dog off leash is not only an annoyance to many but it is a liability to itself not to itself!! How many dam "Missing dog" posters do i see in places i walk my dogs leashed that many walk their dogs with no leash. You would think they would learn but i have seen the person posting signs one week all in tears admitting the dog was off leash with the same dog the next week walking it off leash again.

Be careful with your choice of dog as far as hips heart and winter vrs. summer conditions and what it can tollerate. Also remember the dog that is your best climbing buddy today will get old "or injured" an you will be spending much less time at the crag and much more time at home!!! Also dont get a puppy and expect to hike with it on the regular till it is at least two as you just might cook its hips, shoulders or elbows. I will admit i did that to one of my dogs not knowing what i did not know thinking 5-10 miles of hiking a day is great for any dog!!

DannyUncanny · · Vancouver · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 100
Ed Wright wrote:The best dog is a Mexican street dog.
I picked up a Potrero Chico Stray in 2008. He's been a good companion.
J.B. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 150
Benjamin F · · Crescent City, CA · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 1,000
Catherine Conner · · Phoenix, AZ · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 230

That's a great action shot, Ben-my dog Asia does some bouldering too :-)

mattnorville Norv · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 90

I hate when dogs get near my pack, I usually kick em if they start snooping inside the sack

DB Cee · · Chattanooga, TN · Joined May 2007 · Points: 146

Notice how all of the haters are from the land of asinine dog rules...

Dogs do not limit your climbing, and they DON'T belong at home...that's just stupid. Why even get a dog? Hell, let's just euthanize all dogs...they can't go outside (but we can?) and they shouldn't be left inside all day either.

I didn't get a dog to leave him at home. It's been a learning curve, for sure...but he doesn't hinder me in doing anything I do. Granted I do mostly single-pitch sport...but we bought him a rescue harness, I rap with him into areas that are a top-down approach, jug out fixed lines with him. Take him to the NRG all the time...he's cool with being carried down ladders. Loves to play, boundless energy...which is a GOOD thing. He guards my shit from other dogs...but as soon as that dog is away from my stuff, he will just want to play. We trail run 3-4 days a week, he's been on 10 milers with me. He has the best life I could imagine for a dog.

He's an Aussie/Husky mix

Geir www.ToofastTopos.com · · Tucson/DMR · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 2,751

Beautiful dog!

Blake Cash wrote:Notice how all of the haters are from the land of asinine dog rules... Dogs do not limit your climbing, and they DON'T belong at home...that's just stupid. Why even get a dog? Hell, let's just euthanize all dogs...they can't go outside (but we can?) and they shouldn't be left inside all day either. I didn't get a dog to leave him at home. It's been a learning curve, for sure...but he doesn't hinder me in doing anything I do. Granted I do mostly single-pitch sport...but we bought him a rescue harness, I rap with him into areas that are a top-down approach, jug out fixed lines with him. Take him to the NRG all the time...he's cool with being carried down ladders. Loves to play, boundless energy...which is a GOOD thing. He guards my shit from other dogs...but as soon as that dog is away from my stuff, he will just want to play. We trail run 3-4 days a week, he's been on 10 milers with me. He has the best life I could imagine for a dog. He's an Aussie/Husky mix
I have two dogs that did the same thing leashed. Wait till he gets injured, lyme a bad hip or shoulder or old then that dog you trained to go everywhere do everything is gonna be fucking miserable!!

I mean really good for you as i love a happy dog as much as the next. It was my girls three year birthday Monday and she got her own cake and ice cream candle and all. They eat home made organic food from Whole Foods and mostly if they cant go somewhere i cant go then. However climbing or just hiking with a loose dog is a real pain in the ass for sooooo many people that the guy that insists on having his dog off leash will just NEVER understand.

Nice looking dog and for real i am glad he is loved but for real for many reason it is not fair to other people including other dog owners that dont want your dog running up in or nosing around thier dog.
DB Cee · · Chattanooga, TN · Joined May 2007 · Points: 146
APBT1976 wrote: I have two dogs that did the same thing leashed. Wait till he gets injured, lyme a bad hip or shoulder or old then that dog you trained to go everywhere do everything is gonna be fucking miserable!! I mean really good for you as i love a happy dog as much as the next. It was my girls three year birthday Monday and she got her own cake and ice cream candle and all. They eat home made organic food from Whole Foods and mostly if they cant go somewhere i cant go then. However climbing or just hiking with a loose dog is a real pain in the ass for sooooo many people that the guy that insists on having his dog off leash will just NEVER understand. Nice looking dog and for real i am glad he is loved but for real for many reason it is not fair to other people including other dog owners that dont want your dog running up in or nosing around thier dog.
So...what you're saying is that no one should take their dog anywhere because that dog "might" one day not be able to be as active? That's the most ridiculous line of reasoning I've ever heard. Ever heard of quality of life? And where did I say my dog noses around peoples' things?
TheBirdman Friedman · · Eldorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2010 · Points: 65

The problem with dogs is that people view their own dog, like their own kid. Everyone thinks their dog is the best in the world and s/he may truly be Lassie. It may be obedient, sweet, gentle, quiet, etc. As a result, dog owners tend to flout the rules in regards to their own dog.

"Well, my dog is really well-behaved so he doesn't need to be on a leash." "He's just barking because he worries about me when I climb." "My dog is super friendly with other dogs so I just let him do his thing." All of these, I have heard said by a dog owner at one point or another at the crag.

With regards to the first statement, I don't care if you own Rin Tin Tin; not everyone loves your dog and wants it in their business, no matter how great they might be. I have a dog, I love dogs, and personally, I don't mind having a dog roaming around one bit. However, if I had been bitten by one when I was younger and was looking for a nice peaceful day climbing, I wouldn't be happy about your unsupervised dog.

Secondly, if your dog barks AT ALL, whether it be a friendly bark or a threatening one, leave it at home. Dogs don't get more leeway than humans and if a human decided to constantly yell unintelligible noises all day, you'd probably tell them to shut it. Same applies to dogs.

As for the last statement, your dog might be the friendliest dog ever. Mine is not. If my dog is tied to a tree near the base of the climb I'm on and your unsupervised, unleashed dog approaches and gets it's face ripped off, I'm not going to apologize. Besides that, unleashed dogs get in the way, step on ropes, and generally just add an unnecessary layer of complexity to the cragging situation.

I don't mean any of this to imply that getting a dog is bad. I think getting a dog is one of the greatest things I have ever done. That said, you need to learn respect for others as well as how to deal with a dog. I bring the dog to the crag only because he is absolutely silent and I tie him right next to our stuff. No sandwich stealing, rope trampling, barking, or getting in the way is allowed. Climbing is human time, not dog time. Only if the crag is empty or if I ask other nearby climbers if they mind will I take the dog off the leash.

As for the dude making the argument that dogs have just as much of a right to be at the crag as humans, I respectfully disagree. Dogs are allowed outside, 100%. However, there is a dog time and human time. Nobody will mind if you bring your dog to the dog park, a hiking trail, etc. because these are dog activities. Climbing is not; it is for humans only. Besides, as someone else pointed out, a dog has no fun being tied to a tree next to your stuff all day at the bottom of some multipitch climb. If you're climbing anywhere where others might be climbing, leave the dog at home, with someone else, or, and I know this last one is a crazy though, wake up an hour earlier and take the dog for a walk before you leave for the day...

I love dogs, just not at the crag. Other climbers deserve respectful treatment more than your dog needs the opportunity to be outside for a little while. And your dog is not special, I'm sorry. We all think our own dog is great, but everyone else looks at is like just another dog so follow the rules because they do in fact, apply to you.

camhead · · Vandalia, Appalachia · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 1,240
Blake Cash wrote:Notice how all of the haters are from the land of asinine dog rules... Dogs do not limit your climbing, and they DON'T belong at home...that's just stupid. Why even get a dog? Hell, let's just euthanize all dogs...they can't go outside (but we can?) and they shouldn't be left inside all day either. I didn't get a dog to leave him at home. It's been a learning curve, for sure...but he doesn't hinder me in doing anything I do. Granted I do mostly single-pitch sport...but we bought him a rescue harness, I rap with him into areas that are a top-down approach, jug out fixed lines with him. Take him to the NRG all the time...he's cool with being carried down ladders. Loves to play, boundless energy...which is a GOOD thing. He guards my shit from other dogs...but as soon as that dog is away from my stuff, he will just want to play. We trail run 3-4 days a week, he's been on 10 milers with me. He has the best life I could imagine for a dog. He's an Aussie/Husky mix
Aww... Hank is awesome. I'm still not sure if he's forgiven me for knocking him off that rock at the Lode, though.

The problem with dogs is that people view their own dog, like their own kid. Everyone thinks their dog is the best in the world and s/he may truly be Lassie. It may be obedient, sweet, gentle, quiet, etc. As a result, dog owners tend to flout the rules in regards to their own dog. "Well, my dog is really well-behaved so he doesn't need to be on a leash." "He's just barking because he worries about me when I climb." "My dog is super friendly with other dogs so I just let him do his thing." All of these, I have heard said by a dog owner at one point or another at the crag. With regards to the first statement, I don't care if you own Rin Tin Tin; not everyone loves your dog and wants it in their business, no matter how great they might be. I have a dog, I love dogs, and personally, I don't mind having a dog roaming around one bit. However, if I had been bitten by one when I was younger and was looking for a nice peaceful day climbing, I wouldn't be happy about your unsupervised dog. Secondly, if your dog barks AT ALL, whether it be a friendly bark or a threatening one, leave it at home. Dogs don't get more leeway than humans and if a human decided to constantly yell
unintelligible noises all day, you'd probably tell them to shut it. Same applies to dogs. As for the last statement, your dog might be the friendliest dog ever. Mine is not. If my dog is tied to a tree near the base of the climb I'm on and your unsupervised, unleashed dog approaches and gets it's face ripped off, I'm not going to apologize. Besides that, unleashed dogs get in the way, step on ropes, and generally just add an unnecessary layer of complexity to the cragging situation. I don't mean any of this to imply that getting a dog is bad. I think getting a dog is one of the greatest things I have ever done. That said, you need to learn respect for others as well as how to deal with a dog. I bring the dog to the crag only because he is absolutely silent and I tie him right next to our stuff. No sandwich stealing, rope trampling, barking, or getting in the way is allowed. Climbing is human time, not dog time. Only if the crag is empty or if I ask other nearby climbers if they mind will I take the dog off the leash. As for the dude making the argument that dogs have just as much of a right to be at the crag as humans, I respectfully disagree. Dogs are allowed outside, 100%. However, there is a dog time and human time. Nobody will mind if you bring your dog to the dog park, a hiking trail, etc. because these are dog activities. Climbing is not; it is for humans only. Besides, as someone else pointed out, a dog has no fun being tied to a tree next to your stuff all day at the bottom of some multipitch climb. If you're climbing anywhere where others might be climbing, leave the dog at home, with someone else, or, and I know this last one is a crazy though, wake up an hour earlier and take the dog for a walk before you leave for the day... I love dogs, just not at the crag. Other climbers deserve respectful treatment more than your dog needs the opportunity to be outside for a little while. And your dog is not special, I'm sorry. We all think our own dog is great, but everyone else looks at is like just another dog so follow the rules because they do in fact, apply to you.

You said exactly what i was also trying to say just in a way more effective manner.

Dog owners always hold their dog in a light only the dog owner can.

Not all people like dogs and that is coming from a guy that has a 100lb dog and 70lb dog hogging the whole bed twisting my ass into a pretzel.

I also spent my day going on our monthly day long outa state trip to specialty vet for my dog with terrible allergies. That cost $600 a month. His food is hand made and take one full day a week to make and cost an additional $400 a month.

So don't try saying i dont like dogs or feel they deserve the best of lives. I also hand walk them at least 5 miles a day and average more like 35-40 miles a week just walking them.

The dink that take over the local ball field where children play in feces and it reeks so bad come spring from all the frozen piss and shit left behind all winter from off leash dogs where it is clearly marked dogs must be leash and picked up after in a town with a leash law.... "YES REALLY PISSES ME OFF".

So don't off leash dogs on hiking trails as they "even the most friendly well behaved ones cause problems for other people. Like i said i walk/hike my dogs 35 miles a week and have for 4 year straight now and i would say on average 5-10 times a day i see a dog creat a problem for someone other than its owner because it was not on a leash!

If you don't like rules don't take on responsibilities that make you have more rules.

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0

NO :(

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "What's the Best Climber's Dog ? "

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.