Mountain Project Logo

Simple pack repair

Original Post
Toby Butterfield · · Portland, OR · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 140

Hey all, I'm having a problem with an Osprey pack I bought a few years ago. The right frame wire recently ripped through the bottom of the pack:

Frame wire coming out through the bottom of the pack.

The other side is starting to wear through too.

I've been gearing up to replace this thing with a Cilogear pack anyway, but I have a trip coming up this weekend and I'm going to have to use this guy. I'm hoping that with some heavy-duty nylon thread I can reinforce the bottom of the pack with webbing, but I have literally zero sewing experience, so I'm looking for advice: what thread to use, where to buy it, how to sew it.

Jason Wong · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Apr 2008 · Points: 10

Use dental floss if you don't want to buy any thread. It's pretty bomber.

I'll leave the sewing tips to someone else.

Good luck and have a good trip.

JW

Tim Stich · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,520

Speedy Stitcher with fat, nylon thread. They sell them at REI still, I think.

Sunny-D · · SLC, Utah · Joined Aug 2006 · Points: 700

Sew the thing up with heavy tread or dental floss then cover the area with seam grip. this stuff is really strong once dry and will help prolong the life of your pack. I can't say enough about how great my Cilo gear packs are.
Dallen

Mike V. · · Logan, UT · Joined May 2010 · Points: 47

A few things:
1) This doesn't help you for the weekend, but Osprey packs are guaranteed for life
2) I have an osprey atmos and it has a similar metal system, the problem is that the pack is under a pretty good amount of tension and getting the metal bar back inside the pack will prove difficult. If you can get inside the pack, and remove the frame, the simplest and most reliable method will be (like others have said) to sew some heavy thread (or floss) though the pack. I would take both sides of the hole and pinch the 2 sides together then put a TON of stitches through in both directions.
3) If you can't get a speedy stitcher, I would recommend getting an upholstery needle (and thread since you're out shopping anyways) and a pair of pliers to push the needle through the fabric.

Stich wrote:Speedy Stitcher with fat, nylon thread. They sell them at REI still, I think.
I've also seen the speedy stitcher at tractor supply. It is an amazing tool for gear repairs.
Toby Butterfield · · Portland, OR · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 140

Thanks guys. I'll see what I can rustle up at REI tomorrow. I'll let you know how it turns out, unless it's complete crap.

Ian Stewart · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2010 · Points: 155

Like Mike said, it won't help for this weekend but Osprey packs have a lifetime guarantee. If they can't fix it, they'll just give you a new pack. You may want to call them before trying to fix it yourself, as you may void the warranty by doing self-repairs like that. (It probably won't, but it doesn't hurt to ask first to be safe)

And even though I don't like doing it, lots of people "borrow" packs from REI...

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Simple pack repair"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started