Mountain Project Logo

What's the Best Climber's Dog ?

Matt Berrett · · utah · Joined May 2010 · Points: 10
Tom Fralich wrote: If you get a dog, it should be because having a dog is more important than climbing. If climbing is still your first priority, forget it.
While I agree that dogs should be left at home while cragging most of the time. If you do end up getting a dog it should in no way be related to how much you climb. I have a dog and it has not affected how much I climb at all. Sure It might be more of a challenge sometimes but its been worth it for sure! Oh ya and as far as a kind of dog to get I recommend a australian shepherd/border collie. great dogs and super smart. good luck!
pooler · · Albany, NY · Joined Sep 2009 · Points: 20

Don't listen to the haters. If you train him right he'll be fine. Not a good idea on multi-pitch climbs, but for single pitch and bouldering they can be awsome. I have a lab pup and he's never been a problem. Stayes off the pads and doesen't bark when he'd tied up. It's allll about the master not so much the dog. Just my 2 cents

Pooler

Dan CO · · Boulder, CO · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 60
Zeke wrote:The one having the most fun.
+ 100
Alex Washburne · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 65

Get a friendly dog that doesn't bark (i.e. that won't "guard your gear" - if you're worried about that then you can carry your gear with you). Also, it might be wise to test a dog's guts by a quick trip to the talus slopes - I've seen dogs that are a pain because they can't make simple obstacles, and I've seen dogs on the opposite side of the spectrum that go absolutely flippin' crazy and get themselves cliffed out.

Here's my dog, Jack, who makes life more enjoyable for all passing dog lovers (though he stays tied up so those who don't like dogs won't be forced to put up with his unsolicited love and affection). He was a rescue dog (looks like a husky/shepherd mix) who comes with me on all my class 2+ or less hikes and backpacking trips (except those on national parks). I'm hearing impaired and he does a really good job letting me know when something's up - he even woke me up to give me a heads up one night when a bear was checking out the camp.

crag dog chillin

Unlike the haters out there, I'll give you guys the benefit of the doubt for being responsible dog owners. You'll make the wise decisions for when to take the dog and when to leave it at home. You'll train your dog to come when called, and train it to fear snakes (get a garter snake, show it to your dog and make angry commotion/pull the choke chain - repeat until dog is sufficiently freaked). You'll meet friends and neighbors who love your dog and care for it when you're away (after all, you chose a calm, friendly dog that doesn't bark - so who wouldn't want to watch it?).

Long and short of it, pick a dog with the right temperment, raise it right, have the courage to leave it behind, and enjoy the bottomless basket of fruits for being a responsible dog owner.

These are the kinds of awesome dogs just waiting to be rescued!

Captain Fastrousers · · Hobart, Tasmania · Joined Jan 2009 · Points: 0
Alex Washburne wrote: Unlike the haters out there, I'll give you guys the benefit of the doubt for being responsible dog owners.
Haven't seen any haters on this thread, just some who question the compatibility of climbing and dog ownership. Is a 'hater' someone who disagrees with you on any point, or just on the subject of dogs?

Personally, I love dogs. Always had dogs around when I was a kid, never had any problems with them. But in all honesty, I think the 'crag-dog' question is one of geography, as well as the obvious points about canine and human behaviour. Here in California, many (poss. even most) good areas are in National Parks where dogs can't run free, so it's a bit limiting if you want to take Fido out. In other areas (I'm thinking of the Front Range) there are plenty of dog-friendly crags, but (and remember I write this as a dog-lover) there are just too many damn dogs.

In other areas with less land-management/demographic issues, then taking a well-behaved dog to the crag may indeed be a pleasant addition for all.

BTW Alex, that's a good looking and well-behaved dog you've got there. Does he/she know what to do when she hears 'rock!' or 'below!'? And chained like that at the base of the crag, would he/she be able to get out of the way? No need to answer, as long as you've though about those questions to yourself.
Woodchuck ATC · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 3,280

Any dog that is big and strong enough to carry your pack is fine.

Amos Patrick · · Estes Park · Joined Dec 2001 · Points: 337

Call me a hater but I also don't think you should bring a dog to the crag.

Rick Blair · · Denver · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 266
Alex Washburne wrote:Unlike the haters out there, I'll give you guys the benefit of the doubt for being responsible dog owners.
I love dogs, but based on my life experience, I would not give anyone the "benefit of the doubt." Sorry my friend, statistically that just doesn't add up. I don't see any haters here but I do see some awfully defensive dog owners.
Cindy · · Lafayette, CO · Joined Dec 2006 · Points: 20

In an effort to get another amazing dog like my last stray who found me, this time I went to the local humane society on six different occasions and spent a lot of time with many dogs to find one with all of those magic qualities: fun-loving, good hiker, calm and quiet when we're not on the go, and a good bond with our family. I'd like to take credit for her wonderful disposition but it was really already there I just had to spend some time looking for her, however, I do have to continue fostering those desired traits. A basic commands/training class is also really helpful. Good luck finding the right dog!

ETA: My latest dog is a small girl yellow lab (mixed with??).

Red · · Tacoma, Toyota · Joined Sep 2008 · Points: 1,625

Dogs are only as disruptive as their master(s) allow them to be. Don't hate on the poorly trained dog, hate on the poorly trained master.

To the OP:
I have a great crag dog. He is a 60lb Boxer mix. He can run circles around me with a half gallon of water, leash, and bowl in his pack on any approach I take him on(excluding ones that require a rap or something to that sort).

To touch on your criteria; I don't think it is a good idea to train your dog to be protective of your belongings. The dog will become overly territorial of your stuff and it will create problems with other dogs and possibly worse if it threatens other people at the crag. If you go to a remote bigwall and leave your dog by your stuff all day, that is uncool too. That will be very stressful for 99% of dogs out there.

just my 2 cents for this heated topic. Hope you find a great companion!

RoadTripRyan · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Dec 2005 · Points: 40

I've got a German Wirehaired pointer. She was a challenge the first few trips, getting in cacti, etc..., but now comes along without trouble. Scrambles pretty hard, and doesn't complain about long days. A great companion.

I had a couple of criteria when I got her:

- A breed that doesn't shed much. Her shedding in not noticeable. A really nice trait.
- A manageable size for lifting around. My dog is 50 lbs, and manageable to life up short drops.
- Gentle personality. I got my dog at 1 year old, so she had an established persona. She is very submissive, which works great to be able to harness her up for rappels, remove an occasional thorn, etc..
- Athletic. German Wirehaird pointers, in particular, are very athletic. She climbs, scrambles, and swims really well. The potential downside is she requires a lot of exercise.

As others have pointed out, most important is good training. Know your dogs limits, and try to be respectful of other crag users. That being said, I have experienced plenty of loud and obnoxious humans climbing that detracted from the day as much as an obnoxious dog would...

Craig Weinhold · · Golden, CO · Joined Jul 2005 · Points: 100
Koby
Just get a samoyed--they are not the most obiedient dogs, but they are good looking.
Just look at Koby, he a model who spends his free time climbing in the South Platte.
Hank Caylor · · Livin' in the Junk! · Joined Dec 2003 · Points: 643

LARRY!!!! The bouldering over water/dog pic is very good.

Tim Pegg · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2009 · Points: 5
Kati T. wrote:My husband and I want to get a dog to bring along on our adventurous trips to the crag -- which involve a lot of bushwhacking, and wilderness hiking. We want a crag dog that is tough enough to withstand the approach and loyal enough to guard our gear as we climb. Said crag dog should also be savvy enough to ward off (or warn us of) any beasts of nature that may pose a danger to his/her owners. Pictures encouraged.
None! Crag dogs are annoying to crag people (who actually enjoy the crag). Climb with all your gear if you're worried about it.
Sam Stephens · · PORTLAND, OR · Joined Jan 2010 · Points: 1,090

The one that stays with your stuff and is happy to see you when you get back. That being said don't know that I'd take Tucker out when I'm going to be up for hours on end. He's been a great crag dog though, been climbing since he was two months old.

tw160504 · · fort collins, co · Joined Jun 2009 · Points: 0

Any dog that walks on peoples ropes, whines, bites, digs into packs, and takes giant poops next to someone belaying should work at the local sport area.

Buff Johnson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2005 · Points: 1,145
Sue's Bean

thankfully, only shits on assholes and bites peckerheads
Bigbad WOLF Anderson · · Tucson, AZ · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 580
Brent Butcher · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 275

The best climbing dog, is a dog at home. Leave pets at home.

Brandon Ware · · Littleton, CO · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 10
phoenix pays attention and hangs out at the crag

but.... he finds it fun to pull me down.

I take my dog a lot of the time to the bouldering spots, but never up to the trad or sport crags.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "What's the Best Climber's Dog ? "

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.