Mountain Project Logo

exposed core TR?

Original Post
Will Copeland · · Driggs · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 25

My rope finally exposed its core yesterday...I was planning on cutting it but I had an aquaintence tell me to simply wrap it in tape and just use it for TR. Seems like a bad idea but I wanted to hear feedback from those with more wisdom than myself. Thoughts?

Marc H · · Longmont, CO · Joined May 2007 · Points: 265

Is your life worth a couple hundred bucks?

Get a new rope and save the old one for non-life-threatening activities. Or, if you climb in the gym, chop it up and use the pieces for lead ropes in the gym.

--Marc

Rick Blair · · Denver · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 266

If your belayer breaks or lowers you and that sheath gives, the core could slide through and they could drop you. Better be some damn strong adhesive on that tape.

Peter Stokes · · Them Thar Hills · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 150

"Seems like a bad idea" is good way to put it

Roots · · Wherever I am · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 20

If the core is showing then it's safe to assume other sections of the rope have probably deteriorated too. Have you run it through your hand to look for flat spots?

Will Copeland · · Driggs · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 25
Roots wrote:If the core is showing then it's safe to assume other sections of the rope have probably deteriorated too. Have you run it through your hand to look for flat spots?
the rope is overall in very good condition, there is one hourglass where i took a fall and i've only fallen on it three times. the sheath has simply worn through in one spot.
Kurt Arend · · Las Vegas, Nv · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 150

I always lived by the saying if you have to ask... get a new one. This goes for ropes, wives, girlfriends, and food. Simple and makes life easy.

Kurtburt

slim · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2004 · Points: 1,103

using tape to hide a bad spot in a rope is a really bad idea, and pretty much every rigging/construction company that i have ever worked with or for would fire you for doing so on your first offense. one of the primary concerns is that you are then completely unable to have a visual clue to the state of the rope under the tape.

if somebody that i climbed with seriously recommended this to me, i would probably scratch them off of my 'partners' list, as it shows not only that they are an idiot, but that they also aren't too concerned about my well-being.

Jonathan Ward · · Seattle, WA · Joined May 2010 · Points: 70

Slim is spot on.

Moof · · Portland, OR · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 25

Use tape only to limit fraying while bailing off whatever route caused the hole, then chop that section out of the rope once you get home.

If the core shot is near and end and the rest of the rope is still in good shape, chop it and use your new shorty rope per normal.

If you have an hourglass that is permanent, retire the rope. Full stop.

If you truly just wore down to the core, and it was not just one spot that abraded through, then you probably should have retired the rope long ago.

Jasmine Kall · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2008 · Points: 40

Time for a nice rug!

Ice4life · · US · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 330

I think I got an old piece of webbing that is faded and brittle, I use as a name tag for my luggage. You can use as part of the TR anchor if you want ;)

Jim Amidon · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2001 · Points: 850

RUG..........

TRASH>>>>>>>>>>>>

TOWING CORD>>>>>>>>

NO FKING WAY USE THAT ROPE TO EVEN TR ON........

Tim Pegg · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2009 · Points: 5

The core is the load bearing part of your rope, and the sheath is to protect the core. If you've worn the sheath off, you will start wearing through its load bearing capacity. Period.

Get your favorite climbing store to cut the bad spots off, and use it as a short rope. For example, I now climb on a 59m rope because of some abrasion in a squeeze chimney.

Jarek Bras · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 0

Some 20 years ago we used to tape ropes for gym climbing (leading) in Eastern Europe. The reason? We couldn't afford new ropes. Amazingly the ropes never broke, even after very extensive over-use an repetitive taping.

My advise, don't push your luck. Get a new rope. Be smart, climb safe. Cut and dispose the old rope, or you will be constantly tempted to use it.

KathyS · · Poughkeepsie, NY · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 125
Kurt Burt wrote:I always lived by the saying if you have to ask... get a new one. This goes for ropes, wives, girlfriends, and food. Simple and makes life easy. Kurtburt
I like this philosophy. :^)
Luke Wakefield · · Prescott · Joined Jan 2009 · Points: 235

How does the core look? If its in nice condition cant you get it re-sheathed?

Yarp · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 0
Luke W. wrote:How does the core look? If its in nice condition cant you get it re-sheathed?
classic
Greg Howland · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2009 · Points: 140

If that whole resheathing idea doesn't work you can always cut the core shot out of the rope and just tie it back together with a Euro Death Knot, backed up of course. You can also shorten one side of the rope so your core shot becomes the only middle mark that will get more obvious with time.

mattnorville Norv · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 90
yeah tape this

Tape this?
Mike Pharris · · Longmont, CO · Joined May 2007 · Points: 125

"when in doubt, throw it out"

words to live by.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "exposed core TR?"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.