Mountain Project Logo

The 2010 Colorado Ice Conditions Thread

Simon Fryer · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2009 · Points: 0

RMNP conditions update on the CMS blog: coloradomountainschool.blog…

Andrew McLean · · Boulder, CO · Joined Oct 2006 · Points: 370

Anyone know how things are looking in Ouray, Eureka, Silverton right now?

Eli Helmuth · · Ciales, PR · Joined Aug 2001 · Points: 3,456

There's more ice at the World Cup Wall than the Loch or about anyplace else in RMNP at the moment. And you've got to use a bit of navigation skills to find this close to the road ice...bring the skis or snowshoes unless you have excellent swimming ability.

Chris Plesko · · Westminster, CO · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 485

Lincoln is fatty fat fat and lots of options for lines (wi2+ to wi4-). Nothing really steep but plenty to spread out the crowds. Some mank from snow and the usual dinner plates but it's actually not that hooked/stepped out at all. Water is running with the warmer temps but nothing unpleasant. Have fun, spring will be melting our fun soon...

Leo Paik · · Westminster, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 22,820

Jaws and that entire wall near the Fern Lake trailhead is rotting out.

Guide's Wall.

Grace Falls.

Hot Doggies.
Lee Smith · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2003 · Points: 1,545

Ouray Ice Park was fat & fun this weekend (3/12-13) and 100% open but man was it warm. Get some soon.

John Klooster · · Arvada, CO · Joined Dec 2004 · Points: 10

Anyone been up to Hidden Falls lately? I would imagine its in pretty bad shape.

Rocky_Mtn_High · · Arvada, CO · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 230
Chris Plesko wrote:Lincoln is fatty fat fat and lots of options for lines (wi2+ to wi4-). Nothing really steep but plenty to spread out the crowds. Some mank from snow and the usual dinner plates but it's actually not that hooked/stepped out at all. Water is running with the warmer temps but nothing unpleasant. Have fun, spring will be melting our fun soon...
As of yesterday, Lincoln is still fat and fun, as described above.
Bryan Vernetson · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined Nov 2008 · Points: 130

I second that. It was really good yesterday with some good warm up and a couple WI3+ opportunities. Lots of overflow in the south ampitheater as well. Plus there is a nice smear to the right of the main flow that provides some spicy mixed choices.

Blog update should be coming soon with some pictures.

white-knuckled.blogspot.com

Chris Plesko · · Westminster, CO · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 485

Vail was very drippy last week but with a freeze it's just getting fatter in a lot of places. The Dez was still good to go. Pumphouse had some funky funky surface ice, esp down low.

Phoenix · · louisville, colorado · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 310

As of Saturday the Silverton area was fatty blue. STH looked fantastic, didn't get on it due to lack of partner. However did see one party on it while rapping 1st Gully. As always be aware of avy conditions, recent slides (tracks and debris) were visible EVERYWHERE! It is a little hairy having bits and pieces roll down a gully and hit you. Ice was much harder than in the FR, suppose Astro picks didn't help much..
Ice park is falling apart..
Cheers,
-Z

Chacal · · SW Colorado · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 210

IS ALEXANDER'S CHIMNEY IN/DOABLE?

Daniel Battin · · Green Mtn. Falls, CO · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 440

Has anybody been up to see the conditions on the north face of Pikes Peak? Particularly Total Abandon or Blind Assumption?

Keith H. North · · Englewood, CO · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 90

I think that this may not need to be said but the clear creek ice season is over... the west most flow is no longer in enough to get to the top on pure ice, the eastern flow is really really thin an hollow.

If you do go please don't just become another statistic.

John Klooster · · Arvada, CO · Joined Dec 2004 · Points: 10

Anyone been to Vail lately? What are conditions looking like at Firehouse, Staircase and Ampitheater areas?

Nick Przybysz · · Boulder, CO · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 45

drove past Vail yesterday. Rig Dez looked like it was still in, as well as a few others in the vicinity.

DGavelis · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 5

My climbing partner and I got most of the way to the top of STH in Eureka/Silverton on Thursday. Snow conditions on the approach seemed bomber, and the ice is super fat and blue. If you keep your eyes on the temperatures and the weather in the area, I suspect this ice flow will stay in for quite a while. We got a late start and decided to bail at what we suspect was pitch 4 or 5, we really ran em out to move faster. Some sun baked stuff about 500/600 ft up but not too bad. Be careful of knocking off big chunks of ice on to your partner. Go get on it before all the ice runs away!

Noah McKelvin · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 1,500

While alot of ice is melting in Colorado, Canada is doing good for those heading there soon. Sea of Vapors on the Trophy Wall is in mighty good shape! In easy WI5 condition right now with one mixed move. (M4?) Of what originally was graded WI7+ R. That climb alone is worth the 20 hour drive. Go get it! It's quite the place up there.

Bryan Hendrick · · Leadville, CO · Joined Dec 2008 · Points: 65

Noah, you know what happens when you post about Canadian ice right?
You have to buy me a plane ticket to Canada and be my climbing partner for a week. :D

Looks like you all had a good time up there... if only it were a little closer.
Thanks for the post.

Eric Wright · · Telluride, CO · Joined Dec 2009 · Points: 1,362

Looking for ice climbing partners.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "The 2010 Colorado Ice Conditions Thread"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started